external input - Feature Request

openTx has introduced a range of new features, ideas and bling. It is fast becoming the firmware of choice for many users. openTx will run on ALL current hardware platforms, including the gruvin9x and sky9x boards. Work has already started to support the new FrSky X9D radio!
Whimsical

external input - Feature Request

Post by Whimsical »

Open TX has the 8 ppm inputs which is wonderful but in a 32 channel system a bit limiting, 16 would be a lot better.
I have the Taranis and it already looks a bit like a porcupine but i need more buttons :(
I will use an external module and receiver to get 8 more channels and am going to use an Arduino to feed some extra buttons and 2 head tracker inputs to the trainer port, i will mount it on the handle. I can get just enough buttons/ switches with the 8 ppm inputs but i can see in some setups i would want more. If the main board had more unused inputs i could add some of it inside the case but i don't think it has.
As OpenTX moves forward i think it needs to find ways to add additional inputs separate to what the hardware provider has supplied and ppm is an easy way to achieve this. Hopefully someone with better coding skills than i have will do a small board with lots of variable ways to configure inputs and companion software to make it general purpose for non technical users.

Mike

Helle

Re: external input - Feature Request

Post by Helle »

Hy,

there is a ready solution for that

with 7-8 switch or 8-7 analog Inputs or mix

look at 27. okt. starting

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=4010&p=62826#p62826

http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php? ... Mods/page4
http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php? ... Mods/page7

Helle
Whimsical

Post by Whimsical »

yes that provides 8 inputs and it would be easy to make it more than 8 and i will do an Arduino board to get what i want such as 2 head tracker inputs which are a PPM stream for each tracker. They will need disassembling and recombining into 1 stream for the trainer port.
BUT OpenTX can only use 8 channels with the PPM source as it is now. With 2 modules there are 32 channels and they can be assigned as liked but there is not enough switches pots or what ever in some applications. I am fine as 8 will fulfill my needs but i can see that won't always be the case. There are other multiplexors that give extra channels over 1 or 2 existing channels by increasing the latency but it seems to me more ways of providing inputs for normal channels would be better. The only way at the moment is through the existing 8 ppm selections.
Could that be changed to 16 PPM inputs?

Mike
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OpenTX 2.0 will have support for 16CH input on ARM boards.
Whimsical

Post by Whimsical »

Kilrah My hero
That is via the ppm source selection.
Amazing done before i even asked

Whimsical

Post by Whimsical »

Helle
I tried to look at your code but you have to be a member of that site to download. I don't speak German so not much point registering at that forum. Is your code available anywhere else?

Mike
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

here is the software
for Arduino NanoV3

and with opentx2.0 you can expand to 16PPM inputs

Helle
Attachments
APM_mode_switch_Nano_Test_105.zip
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Whimsical

Post by Whimsical »

Helle
Thanks for that

Mike
alll

Post by alll »

Helle wrote:Hy,

here is the software
for Arduino NanoV3

and with opentx2.0 you can expand to 16PPM inputs

Helle
Hi,

Can the taranis be fed with an external cpmm or sbus (via trainer input or other ...?) and map these to the rf-channels ?
The idea is to use 8 internal inputs (sticks and pots of the taranis) and 8 external inputs (cppm or sbus, ...) coming from another receiver / transmitter trainer port.

thanks
manu
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, see my reply to your other question regarding more than 4 trainer channels.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
alll

Post by alll »

Return to “openTx”