9Xtreme Connecting XJT Module

MaxPowers5

Re: 9Xtreme Connecting XJT Module

Post by MaxPowers5 »

I have tried all the combinations of everything in this thread. I get receiver/transmitter numbers when I reverse the wires on what is being talked about on page 1. Maybe my settings inside the controller are off? I am using the same setup that works with the d4r II

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I do not have an X4R, but I know with the X8R you can bind it several different ways and one way it will disable the telemetry.
Could this be your problem, in that you may be bind it the wrong way so that it is disabling the telemetry ? :?:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MaxPowers5

Post by MaxPowers5 »

I am trying multiple combinations of the black and white cable.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi MaxPowers5,
With the XJT to your X4R (X4R uses S.Port, and your 9Xtreme telemetry wires do not connect the same way as they did to your DJT module)
with your 9xtreme telemetry Black wire needs to go to pin 5 internally or externally to the S.Port pin on your XJT module.
You may need to purchase S.Port (X-Series) sensors. Many of the D-Series sensors may not work with the X4R S.Port telemetry connection.
You do not need to use the telemetry white wire when using (XJT) protocol PXX / D16 and then you should see a value on your telemetry RSSI reading.
XJT telemetry Black wire to external S.Port pin.<br />The telemetry white wire can be connected to the external Txd pin <br />(when using protocol PXX / D16 or D8) as it will not harm anything. <br />This needs to be done because the 9Xtreme telemetry cable connector is a two plug connector.
XJT telemetry Black wire to external S.Port pin.
The telemetry white wire can be connected to the external Txd pin
(when using protocol PXX / D16 or D8) as it will not harm anything.
This needs to be done because the 9Xtreme telemetry cable connector is a two plug connector.

Its hard to help you when I can not see what being connected (can you post a photo ?).
You maybe thinking you can connect telemetry wires the same as you did with your DJT module (no, it dose not).
How are you connecting the 9Xtreme telemetry Black TX wire to your new XJT module ? :?:

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kaznad

Post by kaznad »

MaxPowers5 wrote:I have tried all the combinations of everything in this thread. I get receiver/transmitter numbers when I reverse the wires on what is being talked about on page 1. Maybe my settings inside the controller are off? I am using the same setup that works with the d4r II
I'm no expert by any means, but I remember when I was asking about hooking up DJT and XJT module, I was told that to get telemetry for DJT I needed to solder both white and black wires and to get telemetry for XJT module only need to solder one wire, think it was the black wire. So since telemetry is working for DJT for you maybe you have both wires soldered and need to remove one for XJT to work? I am not sure if anything changed since the last time I asked the question though.

MaxPowers5

Post by MaxPowers5 »

I have the wires connected like shown, however, they do not produce the RSSI or TSSI. Only when I switch them (reverse) Do I get the RSSI and TSSI. I have my x4r connected properly to my FC (Motolab cyclone) and have it configured properly in betaflight. It works for my other quad using a D4R
Attachments
20160317_183932.jpg
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi MaxPowers5,
If you are seeing TSSI with your X4R, then I believe you do not have your Protocol settings correct and will not get telemetry from the X4R.
You should see telemetry RSSI with SWR, not the TSSI.
In Model Setup go to Protocol and change the PPM to PXX and then change the D8 to D16.
(XJT module with PXX / D16 protocol gives S.Port telemetry RSSI and SWR for your X4R).
(DJT module with PPM / D8 protocol gives Analog telemetry RSSI and TSSI for your D4R).
Your XJT module telemetry should then work with your S.Port telemetry sensors with your X4R.
9Xtreme telemetry Black Txd.
9Xtreme telemetry Black Txd.
9Xtreme Telemetry White wire is RX and BLACK wire is TX.
9Xtreme Telemetry White wire is RX and BLACK wire is TX.
9Xtreme Telemetry RX TX Wires_b.jpg (149.29 KiB) Viewed 15781 times
9Xtreme telemetry S.Port connection. <br />External XJT,  telemetry Black wire to S.Port Pin.
9Xtreme telemetry S.Port connection.
External XJT, telemetry Black wire to S.Port Pin.
Here is a zip file of your X4R manual:
X4R manual.zip
X4R manual
(919.12 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
More 9Xtreme info here: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7182).
I see there is also an external Analog Telemetry port (AD2) with the X4R too, not sure how this works with the S.Port.
X4R using PXX D16 for SPort.jpg
If this dose not work, then you may have a bad connection somewhere or a bad XJT module.

Bob B.
stewwy

Post by stewwy »

Hi all, thought I had it straight until I read this thread, now In not so sure :D

just got an XJT module to fit to my 9X with 9XTReme, at the moment fitted with an internal DHT

I've 2 quads with d4r-ii's,
a 250 with sparky2 running raceflight

and a 650 with Pixhawk and Mavlink arduino to Frsky module to give me telemetry ( big thanks for that by the way!)

both talk to my 9x and give full telemetry.

so the info I've gathered from here is, its probably best to remove the DHT hack module and connect the black wire to pin 5 and remove the white wire ( or not terminate it)

But I'm not sure of the settings in the 9x which will give me telemetry from the d4r-ii's

Because I've got telemetry working well at the moment I don't want to strip out the DHT until I know what I need to set :D

trying to do it right this time, I've a habit of stripping things down then forgetting what I did to get it all to work :oops:
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Please clarify/confirm: Do you mean you currently have the DJT installed and working with a 9Xtreme? Or without?

If with... you're done. Just remove the DJT module and put the XJT in its place. The XJT utilizes a single wire so the other will go unused, but it doesn't have to be disconnected.

If you mean you haven't yet installed the 9Xtreme, you may have some more work to do.
stewwy

Post by stewwy »

everything is working with the 9x,9xtreme and Internal DHT module. (RC and telemetry)

I'm eventually going to use x4r's (when I can afford it) , but at the moment I'm going to use the XJT module with my current d4r-ii's

want everything internal ( but I also want to be able to unplug the XJT module and use an orange LRS module in the future)

Edit: wiring internal not the XJT Module
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I'm sorry... careless reading. I thought you had currently the DJT, but now I see its the DHT. If you want both (oops have to run. Ill edit later)
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi stewwy,
You could connect your DHT to the 9Xtreme Expansion Grid pads 7, 8, 9 which in the Protocol menu will
make it an Internal Module (PPM) and move the 9Xtreme telemetry Black wire to Pin 5 of the external module bay
and set in the Protocol menu your external XJT module to PXX.
This will connect the telemetry signal with your new external XJT module
and no telemetry through your internal DHT module.
Use your new external XJT module as your primary (Telemetry) transmitter.

You would need to have a Level Converter to be able to use Com2 (telemetry) to
an internal module, no one has done this mod so far.
See here for more info: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=8615&start=30#p113275)
and (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=8615&start=30#p113278)
and (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7792#p103562).

This (9Xtreme Add 2nd Internal XJT Mod) may have some info
that may help to understand how it works: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=8226).

Bob B.
PAheliguy

Post by PAheliguy »

MikeB wrote:For the XJT module the black wire goes to the SPort signal pin, the white wire is not needed. If you are only using the XJT module, then you may solder the black wire directly to pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector.
The white wire may be connected to to the +pin if plugging the two-pin connector in to the back of the XJT.

You could splice a 'Y' into the black wire and solder this to pin 5 of the module connector, then for the XJT you don't need to plug anythin in to it.

For the DJT module, the black wire goes to the Tx signal and the white wire goes to the Rx signal.

Mike.
Ok guys,
Building a new Quad, And I wanted to go S-bus.
I got my new XJT module in the mail and I am going to run a I-RangeX Rx800 receiver.
So, I believe this is a "D" type receiver, and my XJT should be able to cover it with the correct dip swich set up.
I went with this receiver due to budget constraints on my build.

My question comes in with the telemetry. I want to do the internal "black wire" mod, not a huge fan of wires out the radio. Can I still do this with this receiver? reading above looks like I cant. :(
If not, I might just order the X4rs
Also, the question has been raised a few times in this thread, but never really addressed, Once I do the black wire mod, will I still be able to switch modules over to my DSM2 and frysky modules? or am I locked in to FrSky?

Thanks,
David.

Th9x
9Xtreme board
ErSky9x programing (thanks Mike!)

http://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-RX800-2 ... 74060.html
Description:
Brand Name: iRangeX
Item Name: RX800 mini receiver
Frequency Range: 2400-2483.5MHz
Channel: 8
Weight: About 6g
Output Format: SBUS
Telemetry: Yes
RC Range: <600m
Rssi Output: Yes (CH9 in SBUS)
Failsafe: All channels
Antenna Length: About 15cm
TX Compatibility: X9D/X9D Plus/DJT/DFT/X9E

Features:
Small and lightweight.
Open source and two-way receiver.
Full channel failsafe.
Compatible with Frsky D series receiver,XJT,DJT,DFT,DHT radio-frequency head.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Just hook up the wire for the telemetry.
On the XJT, leave the dip switches alone, but on the protocol menu select PXX (VERY recently renamed to XJT), and set the type to D8.
If the Rx sends hub type telemetry, then this should then work correctly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Is that really necessary to cut pin2 and pin5 traces on 9x module bay if I'm using XJT module and going to hook telemetry up internally?
Do I need to modify anything in my 9x with 9xtreme to use XJT and avoid fryind it? Cut these two pins (2 & 5)?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You don't have to cut the backboard pins 2 and 5 if you are only using the XJT, but if you might want to use some other module in the future, it is worth cutting around pin 2. Pin 5 only goes to the old 35/72Mhz antenna connection so doesn't need cutting anyway.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

Thanks Mike.
I also have a EzUHF JR module, probably should cut trace to pin2 then.
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

MikeB wrote:Just hook up the wire for the telemetry.
On the XJT, leave the dip switches alone, but on the protocol menu select PXX (VERY recently renamed to XJT), and set the type to D8.
If the Rx sends hub type telemetry, then this should then work correctly.

Mike.
Thanks for your help, Mike!
Performed some mods yesterday, cut module bay Pin2 traces, soldered wires for Tx and Rx (just in case, I have a DJT laying around), added a 100 ohm SMD resistor on the signal line and a Schottky diode for reverse polarity protection.
I have a few questions, though.
You mention PXX has been renamed to XJT, but the latest version available on http://www.er9x.com/ is r218 and it still says PXX. You're talking some unreleased version or 9xtreme hasn't got the update yet?
Also, why do we need both Rx and Tx for the DJT module telemetry?
IMG_20161123_112608.jpg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, PXX is renamed XJT for the next release, which will be "ersky9xProvR219x3.zip", with a couple of small changes, you may find here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676#p65894.

The DJT has alarms for telemetry (RSSI, A1, A2), that you may configure, or turn off. This is done by sending serial data to the module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, something funny here. I have followed the link you've posted while on my phone through tapatalk, clicked on the latest version (next release) to download it, and the file downloaded was called "OpenTX.zip"??? On the computer the file name displays as it should.
I normally don't download stuff from OpenTX as I don't use it, and certainly not on my phone :O
This phone is a couple weeks old (the other died), so there is not really a download historic that could rename the file..
So I'm really surprised with this.. Any ideas??

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Maybe a problem with the 'phone and the number of attachments. There is an openTx.zip as one of these.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ahh, didn't know.. Still, weird.. :) But it doesn't matter as I don't use the smartphone for programming my radios. Eepskye was still not ported to Android ;) :D
Thanks
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Davidk

Post by Davidk »

I can't for the life of me figure out how to configure the telemetry settings (rssi / swr or just battery readings and set alarms) for my XJT module with x4rSB. The craft is bound to the receiver and everything works, I even receive some sort of telemetry but don't understand what they relate too or how they should be set. I have read through the many forums but most of them relate to physical setup, soldering etc.
The issue is not the physical setup, everything is working at that end, its just the telemetry configuration that I'm really struggling with. I have read through the er9x manual but to a novice, its pure gobbledygook. I don't understand A1 vs A2, 1:4 ratios vs 1:6 ratios etc, etc, etc. I really need a clear guide what the settings should be for each telemetry screen based on my setup.

My rig:
14.8V 1300mAh 4S 35C Lipo Battery

Naze32 rev6, battery monitoring connection setup - http://quadquestions.com/Naze32_rev6_manual_v1.2.pdf, page4

Flysky fs-th9x with 9xtreme (latest firmware flashed - ersky9x for 9Xtreme (revision 218), also downloaded and installed voice pack)

9Xtreme Connected with XJT Module, pin 5 soldering etc - viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7771

x4rSb connected to Naze32 rev6, sbus & smartport etc -https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2573800

Cleanflight setup -
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/atta ... rtPort.jpg
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/atta ... 2-Sbus.jpg
Hertz

Post by Hertz »

I have flashed both my XJT and XSR with the latest EU LBT firmwares, but cant get them to bind now.
Some people mention that there should be D16-LBT in protocol options, may it be an issue size ERSky9x shows only D16, D8 and LRP?
I have tried seemingly everything and still no result :(
P.S. Figured it, so stupid, I selected internal module for configuration when I should have selected external.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”