Unbrick 9XR Pro after reseting Atmel chip - How ????

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
pyr8

Unbrick 9XR Pro after reseting Atmel chip - How ????

Post by pyr8 »

I used the reset button on the bottom of my 9XR Pro (next to the usb and SD card slot) thinking not knowing it would erase the Atmel chip (stupid me) !

I have tried to restore the unit using a guide I found here on the forums (9XR Pro Using SAM-BA to restore bricked Tx 2014-02-12.pdf)

After going thru all the steps and trying difference firmware, I cannot get the remote to come back online. I am getting a completely blank blue screen after flashing firmware(s).

Do I need to install a boot-loader first...SOOOOOOOOOO Confused and frustrated. :shock: :?

Thanks in advance for the help on this!

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Unbrick 9XR Pro after reseting Atmel chip - How ????

Post by MikeB »

That guide is the way to do it.
If all seemed to work, did you forget to "Execute" the script “Boot from Flash (GPNVM1)”?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

MikeB wrote:That guide is the way to do it.
If all seemed to work, did you forget to "Execute" the script “Boot from Flash (GPNVM1)”?

Mike.
That did the trick Mike...thank you for pointing that out!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
I must have read the tutorial 5 times and missed the part about “Boot from Flash (GPNVM1)” - :oops: :? :shock: :o

Now is there any point in upgrading to the latest bootloader?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

We've all forgotten that at some point!
The bootloader is part of the .bin file you flashed. If you use SAM-BA, this gets flashed at the same time as the main program, so what bootloader you now have depends on which .bin file you flashed.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

OK, I now have the 9XR Pro "un-bricked" and the latest version of OpenTx installed.

My original issue is back...not having access to the micro SD card file structure while navigating within the remote.
I can access via USB tethered to my PC and I have tried 2 separate SD cards thinking it might be a corruption issue.

Usually when you install a new firmware to the 9XR Pro, after the initial upload and after you power cycle the remote, you will get the message "WARNING Bad EEprom Data" and you press any key, and bam...your done.

Any time I upload any firmware (does not matter what revision), the remote just boots bypassing the "warning" screen.

I have a second brand new 9XR Pro I just got this week, and I can confirm that on this new unit, after flashing firmware, I get the "warning"...and I am having no issues accessing the SD Card.

I suspect at this point there is either an unknown hardware issue, or the actual chip has become corrupted.

Is there any way to connect a "AVRISP" up to the 9XR Pro board in order to use Arduino to actually do a proper "chip burn" to rule that out as the cause???

driftology

Post by driftology »

Oh I think I am having the same issue. After unbricking I also went to openTX and lost sd. I tried to go back to ersky9xr but that hasn't helped and now I think I also have the wrong bootloader for the firmware.
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

Have you tried installing the bootloader first from ersky9xr .bin file, then flashing firmware for same?
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

Ok, I just used one of the nightly builds of OpenTx Companion (2.2ON288) to flash a backup of a OpenTx .bin (latest non nightly build).

The firmware flashed OK, hoever did not give the "WARNING Bad EEprom Data" warning, and the SD card was there, until I power cycled the remote and it was gone again.

This is getting redundant...I'm ready to put this thing under the tire of my car!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

pyr8 wrote: Is there any way to connect a "AVRISP" up to the 9XR Pro board in order to use Arduino to actually do a proper "chip burn" to rule that out as the cause???
That's what the SAM-BA method you used does.
pyr8 wrote: I have a second brand new 9XR Pro I just got this week, and I can confirm that on this new unit, after flashing firmware, I get the "warning"...and I am having no issues accessing the SD Card.
If you used the same firmware etc then your first radio pretty much certainly has a hardware issue.
driftology

Post by driftology »

Is it possible to install a bootloader without an sd card. I thought the bootloader had to be installed from the radio.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The bootloader is contained in the first 32K of the file you flash. If you flash the radio using SAM-BA, then you also write the bootloader.
If you want to use SAM-BA to flash the radio, you may either use the ERASE button, or:
1. With the radio off, connect the USB cable to the computer and the radio.
2. Power the radio on holding the trainer switch ON. The display should show "USB" indicating it has started in SAM-BA mode.

If you connect the USB cable, then power on the 'PRO, it starts in the bootloader, no need to hold the trims active.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

The strange thing is that if I load the firmware that shipped with the 9xr Pro (ersky9xr_rom_r212) - (Bootloader 1.3), the voice works, which means that the SD card is readable with that firmware. However, the splash screen appears on the first boot after install, and not after that (voice will always work however).

So the SD card is readable, just not with OpenTx installed.

Very strange chain of issues...anyone have any ideas what could cause the type of behavior I am describing?!

All of the above has me convinced its a corruption issue...however I could be wrong.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have ersky9x installed, and you switch the power off, do you see a screen showing "Shutting Down"?
If the radio doesn't shut down properly, then on restart it is assumed something went wrong and the startup splash and checks are skipped to get the radio operating in model control mode as fast as possible.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Aha, interesting info.

On OpenTX when booting in "emergency mode" after an imporper shutdown the SD card is not mounted.
So a power issue that always leads to improper shutdowns could explain the behavior (SD card works the first time when the EEPROM is wiped, but any susequent shutdown being "improper" it never loads again). In this case you should see a [!] icon in the top bar.

Seems the circuitry that allows the processor to maintain its own power until it has been able to shut down cleanly might be faulty.
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

MikeB wrote:If you have ersky9x installed, and you switch the power off, do you see a screen showing "Shutting Down"?
If the radio doesn't shut down properly, then on restart it is assumed something went wrong and the startup splash and checks are skipped to get the radio operating in model control mode as fast as possible.

Mike.

Mike, there is no shutdown message on powering off the device. With the factory firmware installed, there is no "!", however with the Open Tx firmware installed, there is a "!" in the top right corner after first full power cycle.

Are we able to narrow this down to a faulty component that can possible be replaced without the need for a Phd in electronics?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A good chance we can.
With ersky9x installed, here are two tests you could perform that will help the investigation.
1. Plug a trainer cable in to the JR jack socket. The radio should power on without touching the power switch.
2. With the radio powered on normally, go to the trainer menu and see if it displayes normally, or just displays "Slave".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

Mike,

Ok, so i plugged a "JR" to USB adapter (used for connecting to my PC for flight simulation) into the unit.

When plugged in, the 9XR Pro turns on with power switch off. When I go to the "Trainer" screen, I get "Slave".

If I turn the radio on with power button while on the "Trainer" screen (and plug in the back of the radio), it switches to regular "Trainer" screen.

I did notice that the radio will sometimes reset itself (50% of the time) when toggling power, however.
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

pyr8 wrote:Mike,

Ok, so i plugged a "JR" to USB adapter (used for connecting to my PC for flight simulation) into the unit.

When plugged in, the 9XR Pro turns on with power switch off. When I go to the "Trainer" screen, I get "Slave".

If I turn the radio on with power button while on the "Trainer" screen (and plug in the back of the radio), it switches to regular "Trainer" screen.

I did notice that the radio will sometimes reset itself (50% of the time) when toggling power, however.

Mike, any thoughts?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can't see anything wrong with those tests, try this one:
Hold the two horizontal trims APART, and power the radio on (ersky9x). This will start the radio is "maintenance mode".
Select "UPDATE BOOTLOADER" with the menu key. Now switch the power off. The correct response is for the radio to remain ON until you press the EXIT button to return to the previous screen, when it should go off.
If the radio goes off, then the radio is not holding the "soft power switch" on properly. Note that the main circuit of the soft power switch is OK as the radio comes on in trainer slave mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

MikeB wrote:I can't see anything wrong with those tests, try this one:
Hold the two horizontal trims APART, and power the radio on (ersky9x). This will start the radio is "maintenance mode".
Select "UPDATE BOOTLOADER" with the menu key. Now switch the power off. The correct response is for the radio to remain ON until you press the EXIT button to return to the previous screen, when it should go off.
If the radio goes off, then the radio is not holding the "soft power switch" on properly. Note that the main circuit of the soft power switch is OK as the radio comes on in trainer slave mode.

Mike.

Did the test as you suggested above and it acts correctly! :evil: :shock: :?

Power holds when I turn the power "off" until I hit the "Exit" key to go back and it powers off.

I did notice one other thing by chance. I was trying to update the firmware on a XJT module as per your thread here: viewtopic.php?t=6846

I used the latest ersky9xr_rom.bin and flashed the firmware as well as Boot-loader from that file. With this questionable 9XRPro, I could not get the XJT to update firmware in maintenance mode. I then grabbed my sons 9XRPro with the exact same firmware and Boot-loader and it updated the firmware on the XJT the first time without issue.

What are your thoughts now? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm checking exactly what happens when you switch off the power when running normally.
Does the radio go off immediately, or is there around a 0.5 second delay?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

MikeB wrote:I'm checking exactly what happens when you switch off the power when running normally.
Does the radio go off immediately, or is there around a 0.5 second delay?

Mike.

Mike, I'm getting ready to throw this remote in the garbage!!!!!! :evil:

This morning I picked it up and it was working flawlessly out of the blue.
Boot-up sequence was fine, it was shutting down as it should, etc, etc. The only issue was that I was unable to flash the firmware on the XJT (Another issue perhaps unrelated?!).

I go to put the back cover back on the remote, probably power cycled it once or twice, and BAM...not working again.

Tried loading new firmware and the BAD EPROM/Press any key message was looping every time I power cycled the remote. Eventually it took, however I now have improper shutdown icon "i" on every power cycle and I cant get rid of it.

The remote is turning off immediately with no shutdown message, etc.

I have tried resetting the remote and burning the EPROM with SAMBA, same behavior.

This might be a long shot, but could the issue be with the actual physical power/on/off switch?

In the past, I have had to push/put pressure on the power switch when turning it off as it was hanging (power on) in the "off" position. Putting thumb down pressure on the switch actually made it turn off.

Or perhaps the power switch having an issue is causing a glitch in the internal electronics when the switch itself misbehaves?????
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

hmm, disassemble it and check for bad soldering on the power switch or near..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

jhsa wrote:hmm, disassemble it and check for bad soldering on the power switch or near..

João
Did that already...I actually re-flowed the solder on the power switch thinking that might be the issue with the witch at least!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Did you measure the switch with a multimeter? It could also be a bad connection on one of the connectors.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

jhsa wrote:Did you measure the switch with a multimeter? It could also be a bad connection on one of the connectors.

João

What am I looking for exactly?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You said that before you needed to make pressure on the switch for the radio to turn OFF. That is not normal. So maybe measure the switch with your multimeter to make sure the switch is OK. The center pins of the switch should connect to the outer pins of the side you move the switch to. If you move it to the top, the center pins should connect to the top pins, and if you move the switch to the bottom, the center pins should connect to the bottom pins.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

jhsa wrote:You said that before you needed to make pressure on the switch for the radio to turn OFF. That is not normal. So maybe measure the switch with your multimeter to make sure the switch is OK. The center pins of the switch should connect to the outer pins of the side you move the switch to. If you move it to the top, the center pins should connect to the top pins, and if you move the switch to the bottom, the center pins should connect to the bottom pins.

João

I totally rebuilt the switch after you posted...it may have solved the "Switch Issue" now, however the "Unexpected Shutdown" "Chip 28AB 0A60" error is still there and I cant clear it! :shock:
pyr8

Post by pyr8 »

UPDATE (SOLVED) "I think":

There were 2 issues...

1st was a faulty power switch...I believe it was the soldering on the wires as there was too much resistance on the bottom set of wires. I re-soldered and cut-back all the leads re-tin'd them and that seems to have solved the switch issue.

2nd ( THE BIG ONE) - The improper powering off issue was due to a faulty resistor on the RF Board as per http://goo.gl/NcXcjf.

Mike, I think you hit a home run with that posting!!!!

I de-soldered R12 (222 resistor) on the 9XR Pro RF Board and replaced it with a 222 I salvaged from a fried APM board. Plugged it all back in and it seems to have fixed the issue!

If anything changes I will be back. In the meantime, thank you again to Mike and João for your input! :)

P.S., João, are you from continente de ilhas ou talvez o Brasil? ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hey glad you fixed it.. Yeah, R12 detects that the Power Switch is ON. Really well done. Now take your time to test it before using it for flying models.

I am Portuguese, born in Angola (Africa), living currently in Germany.. ;) :D I can see that you speak the same language..
If you wish to continue this conversation you can PM me :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”