9Xtreme Connecting XJT Module

jhsa

Re: 9Xtreme Connecting XJT Module

Post by jhsa »

Steven, it took all those lines to say the same I did in just two lines on a post above? ;)
It is exactly because of the confusion that I mentioned that what should be said is, and I'm repeating myself :(
"The black wire should connect to the RF module's TX pin, and the white wire should connect to the RF module's RX pin if it a D series, and left unconnected if it is an XJT module."

As you say on your long post above :) it doesn't matter what the wires are if it can generate confusion. And I agree, so that should be kept away from the people. The only important reference should be the wire color, unless you change it of course..
I think my little guide is correct.
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Steven,
Thank you for the explanation, so I am not technically improperly describing how to connect the 9Xtreme telemetry wires.
Perspectively its then like: inside looking out or outside looking in.
So it is OK to say Black wire (TX) and White wire (RX), meaning that they are connected to the module pins labeled Txd and Rxd.

Steven with the 9Xtreme Expansion Grid pads 14-UART_RX and 15-UART_TX for Com 2 Telemetry, is the 14-UART_RX pad
and the 15-UART_TX pad referring to the module's Txd and Rxd pins or is it referring 9Xtreme possessor TX and RX pins ? :?:

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I rest my case :( No point in continuing this discussion.. I won't change my little guide as I think it is correct, so what you guys do is up to you of course :)

I won't mention this subject anymore.

João

EDIT: Hmm, maybe I should just remove my guide and let you guys do it.. :o :(

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi João,
Sorry, but I think I need to match how the author of the 9Xtreme board is describing how to connect the telemetry wires.

I will change the wording that I have in the black text of the picture that you made, to:
you then need to use the 9Xtreme Com 1 Telemetry Black wire to the module's Txd pin and the White wire to the module's Rxd pin.

I hope this helps to direct others, when they come to connecting there 9Xtreme Telemetry wires.

Bob B.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I wasn't referencing any guide at all, Joao (why can't this laptop make that diacritical mark? weird. Nevermind, I can't copy paste it) João. I only took exception to the use of the word "wrong" because I don't think either way of describing it is wrong.

My "long" post stemmed from brevity apparently not making the point :lol:

Bob - don't take something I've written as gospel. We should settle on the best way to document the process and then be consistent about it. Having read both, I think João's is more clear (although I won't concede "more correct") although I think either is sufficient.

I'm working on setting up a wiki. I've actually gone through 8 installs/reinstalls trying to find a platform that I think works well. Holidays are busy times, of course, and that doesn't help.

kaznad

Post by kaznad »

Hi,

I have the 9xtreme on my 9x, I used to have a DJT module but was told I needed to route wires to the back of the module to get telemetry. I also read somewhere that the XJT module works without any modification. I bought an XJT module but it doesn't seem to have any telemetry data. I am using it with a D4r ii btw. Any ideas? Thanks.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you set the protocol to PXX, not PPM, and D8 mode?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Yak52Driver

Post by Yak52Driver »

Mike, I am hoping to be able to swap between my standard Turnigy RF module and the FrSky XJT, I understand I will need to solder the black wire from my 9Xtreme board to Pin 5 of the module connector and install some form of connector for the Turnigy RF module's antenna. Will I also need to make the change you refer to above every time I swap modules? I, perhaps naively, was hoping it would just be a matter of swapping the actual modules.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The protocol setting is part of the model, so unless you are swapping the receiver in the model at the same time as the transmitter module, the protocol will change to match the model you are intending to use.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaznad

Post by kaznad »

MikeB wrote:Have you set the protocol to PXX, not PPM, and D8 mode?

Mike.
Hi Mike,

I tried setting the protocol to PXX and the type to D8. I still cannot get telemetry. I was able to get it to work in terms of controls, but no telemetry.
In the telemetry menu I went to Custom Display 1 and choose RSSI and Batt. It shows 0 for RSSI and I think it shows the TX batt instead of the quad batt.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Yak52Driver

Post by Yak52Driver »

MikeB wrote:The protocol setting is part of the model, so unless you are swapping the receiver in the model at the same time as the transmitter module, the protocol will change to match the model you are intending to use.

Mike.
Thanks and understood
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

kaznad: You do still need to connect the black wire for the telemetry to pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kaznad

Post by kaznad »

MikeB wrote:kaznad: You do still need to connect the black wire for the telemetry to pin 5 (bottom pin) of the module connector.

Mike.
Oh, I was under the impression that the XJT you dun need to connect the wire. So I have to drill a hole and connect it to the outside of the module? Is there anyway without drilling a hole out? Thanks.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Please look at the picture :)
Forget the text at the bottom.
João
Attachments
18-PushButtons_1.jpg

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kaznad

Post by kaznad »

jhsa wrote:Please look at the picture :)
Forget the text at the bottom.
João
Thanks João for the quick reply. :)
So I just solder the black wire there? How about the other wire? I think it is the white wire.

And also does this work with XJT and also DJT? Thanks.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

With the XJT, the black wire soldered there is all you need.. Better put a connector in between though, so you can separate both halves of the radio when opening it..

As far as the DJT is concerned, it depends. Is it modded? If so, how?
But if you have a XJT, you won't need the DJT as the XJT can work in both X and D modes. So, just use the XJT.. ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi kaznad,
Also go back and see: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=7771#p104582).

Bob B.
kaznad

Post by kaznad »

jhsa wrote:With the XJT, the black wire soldered there is all you need.. Better put a connector in between though, so you can separate both halves of the radio when opening it..

As far as the DJT is concerned, it depends. Is it modded? If so, how?
But if you have a XJT, you won't need the DJT as the XJT can work in both X and D modes. So, just use the XJT.. ;)

João
Ah ok cool.

Yes I have both DJT and XJT, I bought the XJT because I was under the impression that the XJT dun need to mod anything. But this way is also good, just solder one wire. I'll be sure to use a connector, probably will use a JST connector.

I will try it later tonight. Do I have to setup anything after soldering? What kind of telemetry data will I be able to receive? RSSI? lipo voltage? I use a D4R ii and X8R btw.

Thanks again. :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

kaznad wrote: I will try it later tonight. Do I have to setup anything after soldering? What kind of telemetry data will I be able to receive? RSSI? lipo voltage? I use a D4R ii and X8R btw.
With the D4R-II you can receive RSSI, receiver voltage on A1, and for example if your receiver is powered by an ESC or BEC you can use A2 to measure the lipo battery voltage.. ATTENTION, you CANNOT connect the lipo battery directly to the A2 port or you will burn the receiver as the max voltage at that port is 3.3V. You need to connect a voltage sensor in between..
You can also use a serial sensor like the open source oXs (openXsensor), which is a excellent DIY project and connect it to the rx via serial connection.

With the X8R you can do all the above. I think it doesn't have an A2 port though.. But also supports the new S-PORT telemetry protocol.. The D4R-II supports only the D protocol (Hub Protocol).

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

9Xtreme Connecting XJT Module

Post by Daedalus66 »

X8R doesn't have A2 but X6R does.
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Mike and Joao
I have a telemetry question for the 9Xtreme

I'm using the XJT module and the X8R RX without extra sensors

The telemetry is working great - RSSI/SWR and RX voltage showing

I have configured the A1 voltage and I'm testing voice alarms for each source

My problem with the voice alarm for Rxv is as follows:-

The source in brackets for the voice alarm shows a voltage value ie 4.9v, but the audio message gives the unconverted number value ie 93
Because of this, the alarm trigger does not work as it is comparing a low voltage value with a high unconverted number

Any suggestions?
regards
Hans
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

If you are using A1 to display the rx voltage, try using it as well for the alarms, not RxV..

João

EDIT: Or maybe I didn't understand what you're trying to achieve? ;) :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just tested this and I believe the problem is just the voice message, the comparison worked OK. I set a voice alarm on RxV, witha rate of 4 seconds and a function of v<val and set the val to 4.5v, the RxV value shown was also 4.5v. When I adjusted the val to 4.6v, the voice message started to play every 4 seconds. When I dropped the val to 4.4v it stopped. The voice message was, however, the raw value of 85 or so.

I'll get that voice output corrected.
Workarounds are:
1. Use A1 instead of RxV. As long as you don't have a 'real' A1 value, then the receiver voltage also appears as A1.
2. Use a scaler to convert RxV, then use the scaler in the voice alarm.
Set the scaler to: multiplier=132, divisor = 255, decimals = 1, name = "RXV", units = volts.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the quick replies

Joao
You are correct as usual ! - replacing Rxv by A1 solves the problem and the voice message gives the correct Rx voltage as shown on the telemetry screen so that gives me an immediate solution - thanks

Mike
I carried out the same test and got the same result as you - so we just need to fix the audio to give the Rx voltage rather than the raw numbers - is that feasible?

One other issue - there is a difference between the source value when Rxv is replaced by A1 in the first line of the voice alarm, ie 4.4 v for Rxv and 5.0 for A1

It seems the Rxv source value is the range or divisor value whereas the A1 source value is the derived Rx voltage

Any suggestions?

regards
Hans
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A1 and RxV have their own, individual, range settings. A1 is on the first 'page' of the telemetry menu, RxV is on the second page.

I have the change to speak the RxV value correctly in the source code. I hope to post a test version with this in tomorrow.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
lancaster

Post by lancaster »

Hi Mike
Thanks for the quick reply and the explanation

I incorrectly thought the second page was an alarm setting for the Rx voltage

Now I see its a range setting - it all makes sense and I have set the voltage for both A1 and Rxv to the correct value

Expanding the capabilities of the 9Xtreme and firmware is a very rewarding pastime that enhances the RC flying experience and I am very grateful for the unfailing support from both yourself and Joao

I look forward to the firmware update

Sliders and 3 pos switches on order for upgrade !

happy flying
Hans
MaxPowers5

Post by MaxPowers5 »

Having trouble getting telemetry to work on my new XJT in my 9x with 9xtreme board.
I used to have a DJT talking to D4R and everything worked great.
I then got a X4R and a XJT to talk to it. I replaced the module, and cannot get telemetry to work for the X4R. I understand the positions of the switches. I can fly both receivers. I can get telemetry for the D4R. I can get radio signal for the x4r. But nothing else. I am running the newest betaflight with a Cyclone flight controller. I have telemetry inversion on, smartport enabled for the correct UART, and telemetry turned on in configure tab. I cannot figure this out.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For the XJT, you should be using both switches down, and have the protocol set to PXX, D16.
Then bind the receiver. You should then get a value on RSSI.
If you do, then the XJT/X4R are working.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MaxPowers5

Post by MaxPowers5 »

I can get the XJT and X4R to work, and I can fly the quad, but I cannot get telemetry.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi MaxPowers5,
How are you connecting the 9Xtreme telemetry Black TX wire to your new XJT module ? :?:

Bob B.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”