er9x V2 = mbtx

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
MikeB
9x Developer

er9x V2 = mbtx

Post by MikeB »

OK, so this is er9xV2 so far. I've called the files mbtx, so you are very clear this is different from normal er9x.
Using this will reformat your EEPROM, so backup anything you need to keep before flashing this.
There are more changes in the pipeline before this goes 'live'. I haven't got an eepeV2 ready to go with this, although I have a build of eepe that uses the new EEPROM structure, but I need to test it.
There is no converter available (yet) to convert between er9x and mbtx EEPROM formats.

Many of the changes mean the flash memory use is reduced, while keeping the same functionality.
Major (visible) changes:
Both timers work the same, and include reset switches.
Safety switches don't double as voice switches.
There are 8 voice switches on the voice menu (after the voice alarms).
All logical switches have the same features, and there are 18 of them.
Two custom telemetry display screens.

Newer test versions will appear on this post.

Hardware information:
LV Trim Mod (128/2561 only). When ON, this indicates the left vertical trim switches have been wired to PC0 and PC4(LCD_WR), rather than wired to the MegaSound board.

Extra switch sources.
These on the main processor:
PB7
PC0
PC4(LCD_WR)
PC6
PC7
PG2
PG5 (2561 only)
The following on the MegaSound module:
XPB0 (EXT1 on V1)
XPB1
XPC0
XPD2
XPD3 - used for LV trim
XPD4 - used for LV trim
XPD7 (EXT2 on V1)
Note: Some of these may need the Megasound firmware to be updated to use them.

Mike.
mbtx64Flex.zip
14-Mar-2021 20:32
Support R9M Flex mode on M64 (possibly!)
(284.96 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
mbtx7.zip
03-Jan-2021 11:35
Add version for "Green" processor.
Compile with all recent changes to er9x.
Note: I haven't been able to test these (yet)
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 252 times
mbtx5a.zip
18-Oct-2018 11:53
Add mbtx.hex for no telemetry mod and parallel/no voice module
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 439 times
mbtx5.zip
29-Sep-2018 20:35
Fix switch edit bug (PB1,PB2 and TRN)
Support R9M module on M64
Add PXX bind options (128 and 2561)
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 398 times
mbtxsv.zip
13-Apr-2018 11:36
Fix serial voice trims (M64 only)
(140.41 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
eepeV2.zip
12-Apr-2018 22:38
Fix hardware switch mapping
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 434 times
eepeV2.zip
12-Apr-2018 10:44
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 363 times
mbtx4.zip
11-Apr-2018 15:52
Minor bug fixes
Play "minute" not "minutes" with 1 minute left on countdown
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 372 times
mbtx3.zip
18-Nov-2017 16:45
Attempt to fix beeper noise when haptic runs
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 374 times
mbtx2.zip
13-Nov-2017 18:46
Fix timer callout at +/= 1 minute
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 370 times
mbtx1.zip
06-Nov-2017 12:45
Fix last byte of radio data not being saved to EEPROM
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 378 times
eepeV2.zip
05-Nov-2017 21:25
Fix "Bad EEPROM" message bug when writing the EEPROM from a file created in eepeV2
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 389 times
mbtx.zip
28-Sep-2017 21:47
New version to test.
(1.69 MiB) Downloaded 372 times
mbtx.zip
03-Dec-2015 20:51
First test version!
(307.45 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Daedalus66

er9x V2 = mbtx

Post by Daedalus66 »

Looking forward to trying it out shortly.
jhsa

Re: er9x V2 = mbtx

Post by jhsa »

Ok, first reports.. Had a quick play with the radio setup menu. I'm sure that I didn't see many issues, but here are a few.

Hardware menu

-What is LV trim mod? When I turned it ON, some trim went crazy and I couldn't do anything with the radio.. Had to reboot.. Does this have something to do with the serial voice module?

At first wasn't able to select a source for PB1 and PB2
-XPB0 works but XPB1 doesn't. I guess these are the free pins from the voice module I've used for the pushbuttons?
EXT1 and EXT2 in er9x?

Display menu
-Values other than ON or OFF are displayed too far to the right??
-Who had the idea for the Rotate screen option? Nice, specially when making custom radios or testing boards on the bench :)

-Potscroll should be OFF by default?

Controls

-Stick reverse (When installing other gimbals) doesn't seem to work. Also it should be in the Hardware menu?

Trainer Menu

- Selecting a switch, if scrolling the switch list past the TRN switch, it's not possible to go back and select a switch that is before the TRN switch..

For now, this is it. Will come back to it in a while..

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

Arghhh....
It appears that Mike prematurely released the er9xV2 with my mod turned on.
Yes, I added the rotate screen option for those who want to hold their transmitter upside-down :)
I need that option because my custom transmitter case forced me to install LCD upside-down.

I'm currently working on the final phase of testing on my side of 9xv2 - it's quite different from released hex.
By tightly integrating the serial sound card - I called it cop328 (coprocessor 328) - the new firmware supports various features including SD bootloader, RTC, external ADC for two sliders, telemetry logging, up to 5 3pos switches, 2 push-buttons (all assignable from menu), ...
My programmed voice switch even speaks current time.

Good news is most features fit to m64-telemetry hex.
Bad new is, you need to hack the voice card and mainboard to get all the features and it requires "fine" soldering :)
No pain, no gain, right?

You may order DS1302 based RTC module if you're interested in the RTC feature with your Megasound card:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331141026146?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
or even cheaper one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-RTC-DS1 ... SwwbdWJjiF
Both modules work well.

I'll post more about building a coprocessor less than $5 ($2 Arduino 5V-16MHz pro-mini, $1 SD card adapter, $1 RTC).
It'll cost more if you want to add audio amp for voice.

I almost finished a brand new firmware for the serial sound card (cop328) and I am currently debugging a problem in telemetry logging.
Stay tuned...
HT
Last edited by flybabo on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ok, some more..

Mixer
-Fix offset isn't doing nothing. ON or OFF does the same, and itr works as it should.. Option should be removed? ;)

Safety Switches

- If Scrolling UP from CH1 it doesn't go to CH16, but to CH10 instead.

Logical switches, Not possible to add "Ntimer" as well? I think it is the only one missing now :)

Globals

Woow, we have proper GVAR adjusters, thanks.. :)
Scalers are at the end of the GVARs. Is it not possible to put them on the Globals popup in the model setup index, and then in their own menu, just like ersky9x? that would make more sense. It's not logical, nor intuitive for them to be at the end of the GVARs. One would never think of looking for it there, specially when there is a popup before. If I didn't know I would call the popup and as they are not there, continue searching somewhere else.. Actually, I was going to report Scalers were missing. Found them by coincidence as I didn't remember they were in the GVARs menu. I have been using ersky9x more lately..

Main Screen

Radio voltage. The second number and the point sometimes are touching.. Maybe a couple more pixels separation?

Battery is on charge. I'm searching for another one :(

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I thought it was worth having some testing done!
Fix Offset is the wrong name. It should be "HiResSlowDelay". This changes the slow/delay values to be in steps of 0.2 (up to 3.0) instead of 1 (up to 15). This works, just the name is wrong.
I've been trying to squeeze everything into the M64-frsky version. Adding a popup for the GVARS/Scalers may use too much flash.
We will need to see how much space might be available when closer to completion.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

flybabo wrote:Arghhh....
It appears that Mike prematurely released the er9xV2 with my mod turned on.
Yes, I added the rotate screen option for those who want to hold their transmitter upside-down :)
I need that option because my custom transmitter case forced me to install LCD upside-down.
As I said, I do like the feature and it can be useful when testing boards on the bench ;) Please leave it in :)
I'm currently working on the final phase of testing on my side of 9xv2 - it's quite different from released hex.
By tightly integrating the serial sound card - I called it cop328 (coprocessor 328) - the new firmware supports various features including SD bootloader, RTC, external ADC for two sliders, telemetry logging, up to 5 3pos switches, 2 push-buttons (all assignable from menu), ...
My programmed voice switch even speaks current time.
I like the sliders, RTC and logging. Doesn't logging use loads of resources??

I have two push buttons installed on my radio that work on er9x V1 but are not working on this version. They were on EXT1 and 2 from the voice module. Now only one works. The other source/input doesn't work.
Good news is most features fit to m64-telemetry hex.
Bad new is, you need to hack the voice card and mainboard to get all the features and it requires "fine" soldering :)
No pain, no gain, right?
I have a atmega 2561 on this radio. And I have a serial ArduVoice board. It is based on a arduino. It also works good on er9x.. Backing up and restoring is also working on this version. So, I guess I do not need to change anything, right? This board is also handling the left vertical trim, and it seems to be working.
Now XPB1, that I think should be the equivalent to EXT2 in er9x_V1, is not working with my push button on the back of the radio, but it seems to be responding to the left vertical trim. So the trim is commanding XPB1 and the trim itself. Something is not right :) It works on the other fw.
You may order DS1302 based RTC module if you're interested in the RTC feature with your Megasound card:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331141026146?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
or even cheaper one like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-RTC-DS1 ... SwwbdWJjiF
Both modules work well.
Well, Could the DS3231 be supported as well? I have some of those that I bought for the ar9x board and don't really want to spend more money on RTC modules.. :)

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

DS3231 is compatible, it just works at the full 400kHz I2C bus speed, while the DS1302 only runs at 100kHz. I tested a DS1302 on the 9XR-PRO, then when I plugged in a DS3231 it just worked.

On a '2561 Tx:
Stick reverse seems to work for me.
Without setting any extra switches/push buttons, the trainer menu switches edit correctly.
Stepping UP on the safety switches goes from CH1 to CH16.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:I thought it was worth having some testing done!
Fix Offset is the wrong name. It should be "HiResSlowDelay". This changes the slow/delay values to be in steps of 0.2 (up to 3.0) instead of 1 (up to 15). This works, just the name is wrong.
Ahh yes, I know that option. Nice. But could you perhaps move it closer to the delay option? It makes more sense..
I've been trying to squeeze everything into the M64-frsky version. Adding a popup for the GVARS/Scalers may use too much flash.
We will need to see how much space might be available when closer to completion.

Mike.
Could you please add it at least to the other processors? ;) I know that the problem is always the m64. But the new boards are coming with the m128. It just seems like the m64 is preventing you from making things a bit more intuitive, and not taking advantage of the capability of the bigger chips.
For example, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't probably have bothered to replace the chip with the m2561 on this radio.. It's really not worth it at the moment as all fits in the m128.
I believe that even with the savings you have done on the v2, it won't take long for the m64 to be again with flash problems.. I know this was said many times and you always did your magic :D but gets to a point where it is not possible to squeeze much more without giving up something else :)

Making the menus more logical is not a new feature, so, I'm not really bothered as I understand how the firmware works. But for others that are just learning how it works, not being intuitive and user friendly it just makes the learning very hard while the concept it is actually quite simple. In my opinion, it is very important that all menus and their options are very well are organized. And of course, it gives it a professional look :mrgreen:

Thanks for all

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:DS3231 is compatible, it just works at the full 400kHz I2C bus speed, while the DS1302 only runs at 100kHz. I tested a DS1302 on the 9XR-PRO, then when I plugged in a DS3231 it just worked.
Ok, will connect the DS3231 as soon as the schematic is available :)
On a '2561 Tx:
That's what I have ;)
Stick reverse seems to work for me.
Not here, I highlight the graphics, press menu, press the right and left keys, and nothing.. The encoder also doesn't change anything.. Video? :)
Without setting any extra switches/push buttons, the trainer menu switches edit correctly.
I have the ELE switch changed to a 3 pos on PC0. The switch selection in the trainer menu does not work correctly as I described above. Can make video..
Stepping UP on the safety switches goes from CH1 to CH16.
You are right, I saw it wrong, sorry.. I was looking at the top of the screen.. Stupid me..

João

EDIT: Now I just tried the trainer switches again, and surely they are working as they should.. I can select any switch.. I swear that before wasn't working. Maybe there is some setting that prevents them from working.. Will investigate.

Stick reverse in Controls is still not working.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

So, another finding. My other push button is working now on XPD7..
So EXT1 on er9x is XPB0 in MBTX, and EXT2 in er9x is XPD7 in MBTX. Something is not right? Some pins names are maybe mixed up?
Changing the names of the hardware like this is going to make the transition from er9x to MTBX quite complicated.. :(

João

EDIT: I think XPB1 is wrongly attached to one of the left vertical trim switches that are controlled by the voice module.. It does look like something is shifted..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

I don't think DS1302 is compatible with DS3231.
DS1302 is not an I2C peripheral and I connected it using PC2(I/O),PC3(SCLK),PB2(RST/CE-shared with SD /CS).
Internal registers are different, thus they're are not software compatible.
DS1302 has 31x8 battery backed-up RAM while DS3231 doesn't.
(I'm using the RAM for storing total uptime and so on)
Even worse, I only have less than 100B left on cop328 after adding all other things!
I suggest to spend additional $1 to make everybody happy :)

As for the PB1/PB2, you can assign any sources to any push buttons - that's what I've implemented.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

flybabo wrote:I don't think DS1302 is compatible with DS3231.
DS1302 is not an I2C peripheral and I connected it using PC2(I/O),PC3(SCLK),PB2(RST/CE-shared with SD /CS).
Internal registers are different, thus they're are not software compatible.
DS1302 has 31x8 battery backed-up RAM while DS3231 doesn't.
(I'm using the RAM for storing total uptime and so on)
Even worse, I only have less than 100B left on cop328 after adding all other things!
I suggest to spend additional $1 to make everybody happy :)
Well, I have 4 more DS3231 modules right in front of me, so if they don't work then this radio will have to work without RTC until I decide to install my other ar9x board in it :)
As for the PB1/PB2, you can assign any sources to any push buttons - that's what I've implemented.
Yes I know, but it is not normal that you can select one of the trim buttons as source for PB1 or PB2, right?
Also, why couldn't the same pinout as used in er9x be used?

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

Serial I/O protocols and switch assignment bits of current serial-Megasound firmware and upcoming cop328 firmware are quite different.
I believe that the source code given to Mike is not compatible with existing serial-Megasound firmware.
Please wait until dust settles....I see all the problems caused by premature software release :)

Even without having an RTC, there're many other new features you may like :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, not if I will have to change my complete serial voice module.. Don't really fill like messing with it again after all the hours I spent building it.. The firmware I have on it right now is working very well, and i can back up and restore models to/from the card without a problem, as well as talking to the computer with an integrated usb adapter .
I thought it was only er9x that was being changed and not the way the hardware is handled.. So, for me that is a no no..
It is not a matter of dust settling :) and not a problem of premature firmware release. Well, I'm glad as now I know it is not what I was expecting. As i said I was expecting an improved er9x. Not a complete hardware change.
I'm changing back to er9x for now..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

You don't need any hardware changes if you're happy with your current setup.

The reason why I called it "premature" is that this test version must be released either with a companion cop328 firmware or a version that's compatible with existing serial sound card firmware. The source code I gave to Mike is quite old one and it doesn't have a proper compilation switch to generate a test version compatible with existing serial sound card firmware. That's why your pushbutton is mapped to one of the trim switches.

Once we release both er9xv2 and cop328 firmwares, all you need is just flashing both at the same time - that's all you have to do - no hardware changes at all.
Note that er9xv2 firmware should work with exiting parallel voice card and you don't see any functional difference in the serial voice card even with the new cop328 firmware.

However, if you want to add more hardwares like RTC, sliders, additional 3-pos switches, ... you have to modify the serial voice card hardware to accommodate them.

You still can test all other goodies in v2 firmware before getting back to er9x :)

Hope this clarifies your concern.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll check what I did use before the DS3231. The advantage of the DS3231 is it is very accurate and shouldn't need any correction over time.

As the current code fits in the '328, I never made any effort to make it smaller. We can probably slim the code.

There are many changes in V2 relating to logical switches, timers, switches available for the trainer etc. that could do with testing well I thought it was worth posting test versions now.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well I thought I would have to move connections on my ArduVoice module, including trims and all that. It took me a hell of a time organizing everything inside this radio, moving the trim switches, connecting the push buttons to the pins that were designated for them in the firmware, etc. Mike also made some firmware adjustments when developing the serial firmware for the ArduVoice that fixed some problems while connecting to the computer. All is working very well and I don't want to lose any of that. Also, my voice module runs at 16Mhz 5V opposed to the 3.3V 12Mhz of the MegaSound board. So, if the new code won't mess up my voice module, I might give it a try.
I would really like to use the RTC module I already have. As Mike say it is quite accurate (it got faster by 2 seconds in a about a week) and it did prove to work better than the one used in er9x V2 when implementing it on the Ar9x board. At least it was what I understood Mike say.
I thought the RTC also used i2c connected to the arduino? I thought I saw some different pins on a post above that are not the i2c pins? :o

If the mod with the sound module is going to be difficult to make then there will be only a couple people that will do it.
You, probably me, and a couple more.

I did start the ArduVoice project because the megasound was discontinued at the time. The arduvoice gives the people the ability of building a voice module quite easily without much fine soldering and using an arduino, plus a SD Card module that works at 5V. This, together with the serial implementation reduces the number of parts used to build it. Plus you don't need to etch circuit boards. So whatever you do, it should also be compatible with it..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have a DS1307 module, not a DS1302!
Since I have one of these, and another DS3231 module, I would also prefer to use one if them.
I'm just about to update the first post with some hardware data.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't know where Flybabo is but if he is in Europe I could send him an RTC module. This one is working really well on my Ar9x board.. the other point is, if later people would like to upgrade their radio to the Ar9x board, they wouldn't have to buy another RTC.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Re: RE: er9x V2 = mbtx

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: The following on the MegaSound module:
XPB0 (EXT1 on V1)
XPB1
XPC0
XPD2
XPD3 - used for LV trim
XPD4 - used for LV trim
XPD7 (EXT2 on V1)
XPB1 and XPD7 are a bit confusing for me. XPB0 and XPB1 are 2 consecutive pins on the atmega, well, at least they are 2 consecutive pins on the arduino. So one would expect them to have a similar name. Why don't you keep the same naming as the other firmware? EXT1, EXT 2, etc? This is confusing and it doesn't match what is done in er9x and ersky9x :o

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

At present, those names are descriptive of the processor pin on the MegaSound. Easy enough to change if needed.

Stick reverse only works if you have the hardware menu enabled! The box around them flashes if you are allowed to edit them.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ahh, Ok.. Surprise surprise.. I would never get there :)
Hmmm, no need to press menu to edit the stick reverse.. not good.. Could you change it??
Also, no option to always use menu to edit ;)
Could you please change the way we enable the Hw menu from holding both trims away from each other, to holding the left trim to the left as in ersky9x? holding both trims inwards is quite easy but holding them away and still turn the radio ON is a bit complicated :)

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

jhsa wrote:I don't know where Flybabo is but if he is in Europe I could send him an RTC module. This one is working really well on my Ar9x board.. the other point is, if later people would like to upgrade their radio to the Ar9x board, they wouldn't have to buy another RTC.

João
[LOOOONG]
I'm far from Europe and living in the heart of Silicon Valley as shown in the right hand side of my posting under country and location.
As a matter of fact, my work place is not far from Maxim Semiconductor where those RTC chips had developed.
Thanks for the offer but I already have two DS3231 modules for my AR9Xs.

Of course I considered to use it for this project along with an SPI compatible RTC module but quickly ruled out both because I2C bus pins (PC4,PC5) are already taken for volume control in MegaSound card and the price of the SPI RTC module.
I may use other pins by implementing a bit-banging I2C protocol but it takes more flash space.
Even after harvesting more than 1KB flash out of original amod328 code by optimizing/restructuring the code, not much flash bytes left now.
Actually, some features I'd implemented no longer fit on it. (There's another hacky way to reduce the flash bytes but I'll reserve it for the future.)
I also find out that DS1302 is pretty accurate as well. It's as good as a digital alarm clock in my bedroom and I think it's good enough for a hobby radio. I even considered setting RTC if GPS time is available on the telemetry and I don't think it's necessary.
Let's stop talking about DS3231 at least for now as I have more important things to worry about.

As for the pin names, I think EXT1/EXT2 notation even more confusing.
You only see the pin names under Hardware menu and, IMHO, all the resource names under this menu must reflect the pin names defined in the datasheet.

Current pin names of interests are:
M64/128/2561 pins:
  • PB7: Backlight control pin for onboard backlight like 9XR board or used for parallel MegaSound. Can be used as a switch source if it's not used.
    PC0: Used for rerouting LV trim UP or as a switch source
    PC1:(LCD_CS1): Used for rerouting LV trim DOWN or used as a switch source. Need to remove 5K level-shifter resistor to use this pin.
    PC4:(LCD_WR): Used for serial LCD interface for custom radio or used as a switch source. Need to remove 5K level-shifter resistor to use this pin.
    PC6: Rerouted TCut for FrSky telemetry mod. Can be used as a switch source if no FrSky mod.
    PC7: Rerouted AILDR for FrSky telemetry mod. Can be used as a switch source if no FrSky mod.
    PG2: Used for haptic mod. Can be used as a switch source if no haptic mod.
    PG5: Only available for m2561. Can be used as a switch source.
m328 pins: prefix 'X' for external
  • XPB0:(EXT2): Used for parallel MegaSound D3 or can be used as a switch source for serial Megasound (cop328).
    XPB1: Used as a backlight control for Serial/Parallel MegaSound. If you have an onboard PB7 backlight control like 9XR, it can be used as a switch source after removing a 10K resistor driving backlight control transistor for serial Megasound.
    XPB2: SD card chip select pin (/CS1). This pin is shared with DS1302 RTC's CE/RST pin.
    XPC0: Used as Busy signal generator for parallel Megasound or an analog channel AX (for a slider) after removing 10K resistor connected to XPC0.
    XPC1:(X1): Can be used as an analog channel AY (for another slider)
    XPC2:(X2): DS1302 RTC's I/O pin
    XPC3:(X3): DS1302 RTC's SCLK pin
    XPD2: Used as a CLK signal generator for parallel Megasound or can be used as a switch source after disconnecting a resistor and a transistor on the clock generator circuit.
    XPD3: Used for parallel-Mega D0 or rerouting TRIM_LV_UP for serial Mega or can be used as a switch source if you rerouted TRIM_LV_UP using onboard PC0 pin.
    XPD4: Used for parallel-Mega D1 or rerouting TRIM_LV_DWN for serial Mega or can be used as a switch source if you rerouted TRIM_LV_DWN using onboard PC1 pin.
    XPD7:(EXT1): Used for parallel-Mega D2 or can be used as a switch source.
    XADC6/XADC7: Only available for TQFP type m328p found on most Arduino boards. Can be used as sources of analog channel AX/AY. Selectable from hardware menu.
Following 5 switches can be used as 3-pos switches in addition to ID0/1/2 by assigning aforementioned switch sources:
THR->(TH^,TH-,THv), RUD->(RU^,RU-,RUv), ELE->(EL^,EL-,ELv), AIL->(AI^,AI-,AI-), GEA->(GE^,GE-,GEv)
Two push buttons, PB1 and PB2 can be assigned from the same list of the switch sources.

The switch source list only shows available ones based on the current state of hardware mod and the firmware doesn't check the duplicated assignments to conserve the flash bytes.

Two external ADC channels, AX and AY are internally assigned to pots PX and PY.
AX and AY are shown up in ANADIAG page and PX and PY are listed on the mixer source list.
I connected left slider and right slider to PX and PY, respectively.
PX and PY can be calibrated through current calibration menu and their movement is displayed on the updated main graphics.
You can turn-on/off external ADC channels through updated hardware menu.

About Arduino board, best choice is 5V-20MHz board but I couldn't find it on eBay.
My current setup runs in 5V-20MHz on Matin's MegaSound board and I wouldn't see any problem in 5V-16MHz Arduino - I'm going to try sooner or later.
Current serial MegaSound (3.3V-12MHz) should work as well.

I have a group of "oldies" computerizing the vintage transmitters - there're more than you and me :)
Since it's inevitable to do "fine" soldering if one wants to use m64/128/2561 pins for the switch sources, my preferred mod is rerouting LV trim locally using PC0/PC1 and putting back onboard backlight using PB7 and consolidate all the switch sources to the voice card. I'm using onboard backlight control for flashing when SD bootloader downloads 9x firmware from cop328's SD card.

Note that if you're using Optiboot/PC for firmware update, you need to reroute LV_TRIM on the serial voice card because you need to get into bootloader mode and LV trim switch does this.
Since I'm using the new SD bootloader to update cop328 firmware, I don't need to control the voice card to get into bootloader mode. Actually, SD bootloader turned out to be very handy during development. All I have to do is copy the new firmware file to SD card and insert it and power-up. It took about 3 second to update the cop328 firmware. But choice is yours.

[CHANGING THE SUBJECT]
Actually, there's one thing you can help me:

I'm using voice file number 59 and 60 as the cop328 commands to talk time of date if there's an RTC hardware: (59->date+time, 60->time only).
I propose following additional voice files for this purpose:
501-531: first, second, ..., thirty first.
533-544: January, February, ..., December.
545: (pre)AM
546: (pre)PM
547: hour-min separation
548: (post)AM
549:(post)PM
550-561: twelve, one, two, ..., eleven
600-659: zero or o'clock, one, ..., fifty-nine

Voice command 59 plays the following sequence:
{533-544}{501-531}{545/546}{550-561}{547}{600-659}{548/549}

I believe that this sequence covers most languages.
Not all the files are necessary. It depends on the language it speaks.
In English, it will talk like: December-Fourth-Two-Thirtyfive-PM.
No need for {545/546} and {547}.

If there're no such files exist (current setup), it just plays the current time using file number between 400-459.
I programmed PB2 as a voice switch 60 and whenever I press the PB2, it talks time like "twelve-forty-nine" without much intonation change.
That's the one additional way to use the RTC other than time stamping and I wonder whether you can help to create those files.

Have a nice weekend,
HT
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will have to digest all this information after the weekend.. But I do think you shouldn't divert from the switch names used in er9x and ersky9x. I can see there are very difficult soldering to do many of the mods. There won't be many people doing all this I guess.. Also I don't want to lose the ability of connecting my voice module with the PC through eepe to exchange files as I do now. Also don't want to lose the ability to backup and restore models to/from the sd card. My arduvoice module has a FTDI adapter permanently connected. I just need to connect it to the PC and I can send files to the radio or receive them from the radio.. Voice and model files.
I won't mod this radio anymore, so the only way I'm going to test this firmware, is on a 9x board connected to an LCD and a voice module. I decided to leave my m2561 9x radio with er9x_V1, as I'm very happy with the way it works now, until I decide to install an ar9x board on it..
I see what I can do with the voice files, but it will take some time..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
flybabo

Post by flybabo »

Let me clarify one more thing:
PB1 is a switch name that shouldn't change over the time as we don't change AIL/THR/RUD/ELE switch names.
EXT1 is a switch source name which depends on the hardware you have.
I don't see any generic hardware resource called EXT1.
EXT1 is actually PD7 in er9x's voice module and it must be different in AR9x or skyboard or anything else.
I haven't divert any switch names used by er9x and ersky9x.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

EXT1 and EXT2 are already used in er9x (V1) as extra switch sources on the MegaSound board. There is an argument that, for those who are already using these, keeping the same name is useful.

V2 has many changes that are useful, even if you don't have a voice board, and also if you have the parallel voice board installed.
Many users haven't done any soldering (let alone fine soldering), as they have the SmartieParts programmer (many thousand sold) an the Smartieparts TelemetrEZ board. These users are unlikely to want to attempt fine soldering. The TelemetrEZ board also supports rotary encoder connections. These only need soldering to good sized pads/holes. Note that the handling of the THR and AIL switches using the TelemetrEZ board uses PC6 and PC7 programmed as outputs so the code reads these as though they are inputs to find out the position of the switches.

Connecting the MegaSound board for serial operation does need careful soldering, but not to the processor pins. You can solder wires to the resistors nearby. This is easier than soldering to the processor.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Hi
What is the license of this new firmware.
Thanks
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't know if the MegaSound module is still being produced. I did take my time to build, and Mike took his time to program the code for the ArduVoice module. This was developed thinking about the people that can't do fine soldering, but are able to do some soldering. It uses only through hole components and an arduino pro mini board. The version I posted on the forum (link below) uses two pieces of stripboard. That should make it easier to place it inside the radio, and it is also easy to build.
This module connects to the radio over serial. but we have to connect the left vertical trim switches to the voice module, which is an easy task. I would say that the most difficult part is soldering the serial wires to the resistor pads that connect to pins 27 and 28 of the radio's processor. All the rest is straight forward. And it is cheap to build, as you do not need to order any PCB.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6831

Another alternative is the "PowerSound" board which I believe is being sold?? It has battery reversal protection, haptic control and backlight circuitry, level converter for telemetry, etc. It replaces the 9x switch board. Here is the link:

http://rcgear.ru/en/9x/powersound9x

I believe that things don't have to be complicated. I do like the direction er9x has been going lately. Much has been done towards being much more user friendly. That proved that it is possible to make things easier for the people and still keep the great power of the firmware. As far as I'm concerned, I would like to see er9x continue moving in this direction, and I'm sure many share the same thought.. The new menus for example, are just frantastic, so organized and so easy to navigate. There is still some improvement needed ;) of course, but things always need improvement. It doesn't necessarily have to be difficult to use though :D ;)

Thank you for taking the user friendly path Mike.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

rperkins wrote:Hi
What is the license of this new firmware.
Exactly the same as er9x V1.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “er9x”