speaker hiss

Grantman

Re: speaker hiss

Post by Grantman »

MikeB wrote:Anyone with load speaker hiss/noise, please start the radio in bootloader mode (both horizontal trims held inwards, then power on), then let us know if you still have a lot of hiss/noise. The voice output, and much else, is not enabled in this mode.

Mike.
About a third as loud in bootloader mode, almost silent with rf module removed.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Module type please.
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

The module (XJT, DJT or original Flysky) does not seem to make very much difference. The sound is reduced in bootloader mode. Also, the sound is present with the software volume control turned all the way down. Checking other TX, the Taranis (both original and plus) shows the smallest noise, then the 9x with the old modifications and last the new smartieparts board has the loudest sound. (But the greatest performance by far. I love it.) I have 5 of 6 boards in Tx's and they are all the same. The level of sound is low and not a problem, but it is interesting to experiment. :ugeek:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

It does seem that different users are getting different audio results. That's being looked into as more tech types come onboard. What I hear is so low in the flying environment I fly in, I'm ok with it.
I'm my case, module out or module in makes no change. I am using a XJT module.
For a first run board, without being held up in beta testing for months, I'm very pleased. The Taranis was almost a year waiting while it was being beta tested as was the HK pro.
It's possible different production runs had issues, others didn't. Sadly we can't all eyeball with our installs and compare noise.
So it's a work in progress to sort out the really troubled boards vs those that are acceptable. I've posted this many times and will again. Everyone, please listen at your flying site, hopefully while flying, and see if you're ok with it. I am, but still will look into what I am hearing to see what can be done about what I do hear.
I just saw another really sharp Rc system designer come on board, Brent (sky north) that designed the SkyBoard for the 9x. His input is welcomed!
SM
don9f

Post by don9f »

As stated earlier, the noise I hear doesn't bother me.....it's not that loud, but as requested, powering on in boot loader mode, I actually hear a lower frequency sort of "buzzing" than heard when the radio is operating normally.
Elaborating on something I mentioned in an earlier post, if the radio is powered on and throttle is not in a "safe position", the usual noise is there but at a reduced volume. If I then move the throttle stick all the way down, the noise either increases to its "normal" level if the radio operates normally, but if a switch is in the wrong position, the noise stops completely.....the speaker is silent!
Putting any errant switches right and the normal noise resumes.
Also as stated earlier, volume control has no effect and all this occurs with no module inserted.
Hope that helps

Cheers Don

s_mack

Post by s_mack »

That is especially good information if it can be confirmed by others. Can someone reproduce?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Pretty much, yes I can hear the same. I think there are TWO main noises I can hear. One is a fairly high frequency 'tone' the other is a sort of 'clicking' at about 10Hz (guessed frequency).

During start up, with various throttle and switch errors, one or the other stops, including after a time on the throttle error the 'clicking' stops.

Mike.

Edit: The 'clicking' occurs in the throttle warning while voice messages are being played, even with the volume turned right down causing the actual voice to be muted!
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
gb21914

Post by gb21914 »

So I took another video, the high pitched noise I can deal with...outside it's not really an issue.

For me it's the "voice clicking" issue that kind of annoys me...and I can confirm that if I boot via the bootloader with the module in place...it's quiet.

*UPDATE* In my unit it's the same noise if I boot the unit with the throttle in any position. There's no reduction in hiss or warble for me.

(longer test showing voice "warble")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkcrNWa6Ei8
- Greg -
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I can hear the clicking while a voice file is playing. I have some clicking all the time, but it is very quiet and doesn't affect the voice output.
I thought I could also hear something at the beginning and end of the voice output.
So we need to work out where this clicking is coming from.
I've attached a .zip file containing two 'voice' files. These are just a single tone that plays for a time.
Both these should play, one is sampled with 16 bits at 16kHz, the other is 8 bits at 8kHz.
Please put these into your \voice\user directory on the SD card, then set some voice alarms to play them. The main thing I would like to know is whether the clicking is the same on both, or whether the frequency of the clicking is different. The 8 bit/8kHz version needs only a quarter of the SD card reads to play.

Mike.
Tone16.zip
(53.04 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
erskyTx/er9x developer
gb21914

Post by gb21914 »

I uploaded the tones and set them to my flight control switch.

The first tone is tone8.wav (slow click)
the second tone is tone16.wav (fast click)

The clicking is indeed different...

My results
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scNFTw1osxA
- Greg -
don9f

Post by don9f »

Hi, having listened to Greg's sounds, this will probably add confusion but I don't hear those "clicks" on mine at all ! Voice files are played well, just the faint noise in the background all the time the radio is operating normally.

Cheers Don
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

don9f wrote:Hi, having listened to Greg's sounds, this will probably add confusion but I don't hear those "clicks" on mine at all ! Voice files are played well, just the faint noise in the background all the time the radio is operating normally.

Cheers Don
Good audio/video capture. I agree with your post I'm quoting.
Basically no issues with mine either.
Now I hear what all the discussions are about.
One of those boards definitely need to get to MikeB. I'm wondering how one would sound if installed in a 9x that's got a quiet one now?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It seems this one board may have some coupling between the SD card signals and the audio signal.
Another test to try please, go into the MODEL SELECT menu, pres menu to get the popup, then choose BACKUP. THis will write the currently highlighted model to the SD card, thus causing SD card accesses. Do you then hear any 'clicks' while this happens?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Hey Mike, what about that test firmware we used that made the siren sound without an SD card inserted? Would that not help with eliminating a variable?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Go to the voice alarm menu and configure an alarm on a switch. Set the Filetype to "Audio", then select "Siren" from the list of sounds. When this plays, are there any 'clicks'?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I did what you asked... i don't hear any clicks... I don't have a module installed... I just hear the sound loud and clear.. and then the hum when its all stopped.
When its speaking.. i hear no hiss... when the speaking stops... little pause.. then hissing again.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

MikeB wrote:It seems this one board may have some coupling between the SD card signals and the audio signal.
Another test to try please, go into the MODEL SELECT menu, pres menu to get the popup, then choose BACKUP. THis will write the currently highlighted model to the SD card, thus causing SD card accesses. Do you then hear any 'clicks' while this happens?

Mike.
This method causes the pause again and then the hissing.
gb21914

Post by gb21914 »

MikeB wrote:It seems this one board may have some coupling between the SD card signals and the audio signal.

Mike.
Okay, when I did that there was a "chk" sound that came over the speaker...I'll try and reproduce the audio of that in the morning.

In addition, I rigged my AIL switch for the siren...the siren appears to play fine. In fact I worked through the audio there...all the sounds listed there play fine with no warble or clicking that I can detect. Again, i'll take video of that in the morning.
- Greg -
gb21914

Post by gb21914 »

Troubleshooting steps video

1. AIL switch to alarm (seems okay)
2. saving model to sd card makes chk noise

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKSeTFz5I0o
- Greg -
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Wow you can totally hear that chugging... that is definitely isolated... mine does not do that at all... is your speaker firmly mounted.. so there is no vibrations there... i know it sounds silly... but still...
gb21914

Post by gb21914 »

Yeah, it's packed in pretty good.

I'm not sure I can confirm it's a speaker issue or not...but I haven't hit the electronics shop yet to check out the speaker options.
- Greg -
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't think it is a speaker issue.
There is definitely something coupling SD card accesses to the audio. The question now is what, and why on only a few boards!
I'll see if Steven can send me the tracking to see if there might be a fault on one or two boards where certain tracks are close together and so might have a short, or something.

Just thought of one more test that might help. Start the radio in bootloader mode, then connect the USB cable to a PC. The PC should access the SD card so you could hear noises again as it does so.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gb21914

Post by gb21914 »

MikeB wrote:I don't think it is a speaker issue.
There is definitely something coupling SD card accesses to the audio. The question now is what, and why on only a few boards!
I'll see if Steven can send me the tracking to see if there might be a fault on one or two boards where certain tracks are close together and so might have a short, or something.

Just thought of one more test that might help. Start the radio in bootloader mode, then connect the USB cable to a PC. The PC should access the SD card so you could hear noises again as it does so.

Mike.
yes, if I attach the usb and copy files to the card then I hear "noises". It sounds like an old hard drive clicking softly.
- Greg -
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

@gb21914 and @MikeB...

How about gb21914 sends Mike his 9Xtreme, I send a new 9Xtreme to gb21914? There's shipping costs and time involved so it isn't necessarily a no-brainer... but probably easier to diagnose than doing it remotely like this?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll be happy to look at the board if it is sent to me. I might be able to do a couple more things remotely however.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
don9f

Post by don9f »

s_mack wrote:@gb21914 and @MikeB...

How about gb21914 sends Mike his 9Xtreme, I send a new 9Xtreme to gb21914? There's shipping costs and time involved so it isn't necessarily a no-brainer... but probably easier to diagnose than doing it remotely like this?
That's a great idea.....as I've said, I'm totally happy with mine as it is, but I'm very curious to know what's going on and to see gb21914's problem sorted.

Don
gb21914

Post by gb21914 »

I'm cool to try whatever, if there are still things we can check to help narrow down the cause...I'm all over it.
- Greg -
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll need a couple of days to get some tests sorted, I've acouple of non-RC related problems just cropped up I need to deal with!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

MikeB wrote:I'll need a couple of days to get some tests sorted, I've acouple of non-RC related problems just cropped up I need to deal with!
Yes, my wife is insisting I do the dishes as well.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I thought it was only me :o :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”