Receive 9xtreme and Installation

quadraf

Re: Receive 9xtreme and Installation

Post by quadraf »

MikeB wrote:OK, I've updated the install programs on http://www.er9x.com/. Please re-install from the links at the bottom right.

Mike.
And now i can upload models from and to my transmitter :mrgreen: 8-)
Thank you very much Mike!

Decobus

Post by Decobus »

Have there been instructions yet on the best way to connect the telemetry to a DJT module?
gb21914

Post by gb21914 »

MikeB wrote:OK, I've updated the install programs on http://www.er9x.com/. Please re-install from the links at the bottom right.
Done, and it's working! Thanks a bunch!
- Greg -
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Decobus wrote:Have there been instructions yet on the best way to connect the telemetry to a DJT module?
I'll give some options for the DJT. The XJT is a really simple mod. Just solder the black wire to the module bay pin 5 from the top. Done!

For the DJT it's been done many ways over the years.
The easiest if you DJT is stock and no mods, is to feed the B&W wire through a hole in the back of the case and plug it into the data jack, done, go flying. A tip, the B&W wire supplied could be longer. I believe a 2pin JST m/fm cable could be used to extend the cable. They should mate with the sp cable and plug into the DJT data connector. It also lets you separate the case halve by disconnecting the extension. The polarity is not critical. If telemetry doesn't display, just flip the connector in the DJT data port. No harm.

Next is more complicated but no external wires required.
DJT mod!
The DJT has two unused connector contacts. # 2 and # 5. If you open up your DJT module you'll see that. You would connect the DJT data port pin 1 to the module connector 2. You would connect data port 2 to the module connector 5. Use small wire, pre tin the connector pins, solder fast to not melt them.

9 X Backboard mod!
9x module back board. We will connect the B&W wires. One to module pin 2 and one to module pin 5. I haven't got the info in front of me to verify what color goes to what pin, but no harm and others will help there.
I'll describe the one critical pin mod. The pin 5 is free and isn't connected anywhere. Ignore any trace on it. Pin 2 however is connected under the black and green paint, front and back to ground. We need to free it from ground, Float it!
Remove the backplane board, scrape the paint off all around pin 2 front and back. Then you'll see small whisker traces connecting the pin to the backplane board and ground. Cut them with a sharp hobby knife. Use your ohm meter to verify the pin no longer connects to ground trace around it. Now you can solder the second wire to pin 2. When we plug the DJT in we now connect via the data pins, to the module connector, via the 9x isolated pins 2 & 5, via the B&W wires, to the 9Xtreme Frsky connector.
A male pin 2 pin JST connector will mate with the SP cable connector end (black one). If you use a JST pigtail to solder to pins 2 & 5, you can easily swap polarity TXD /RXD and also disconnect to split case halves.
This drawing is the basic idea from a old install option. Still ok if you use 2 wires and no in line resistor shown for reference.
No internal 2.7K resistor needed for the 9Xtreme board.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445831896.906147.jpg
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't think pin 5 is connected to ground? It is connected to that big antenna pad I believe? And that could be used to solder the wire instead of soldering it to the pin ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I think that was corrected in my edit after I posted it. Yes, pin 5 is already floating but connected to trace that did go to the old fm antenna. It can be left as is. Only pin 2 is connected to ground under the paint on both sides of the board.
I think that's been corrected but here it is again. A lot of typing on small screen iPhone.
Thanks for keeping my posts correct.
[emoji3]
hamerson

Post by hamerson »

I have received 9Xtreme and all looks good. I have a problem with the installation guide. Step 3 mentions two screw holes marked in blue, but the picture is cut off just below the one marked in green. Please show me the blue ones.
Thanks,
Amos
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

s_mack wrote:
LTMNO wrote:
MikeB wrote:Voice files and log files mainly. Even 1GB is more than large enough.

Mike.
These days you can't buy much less that 8gb for $8 CDN at Walmart even...
I am sure there are lots of online sources for 1gb. ;-)
Speaking of walmart and SD cards... earlier this year I spotted a 128GB for only $15! I was thrilled. As I was checking out, I noticed it was 128MB... for $15. WTG Walmart.

Ha, just caught this... too funny.
I just went out and bought 4x 8GB boards for $8 a piece...

One question I have and I was reading about the BT module being used for some things on ERSKY9X but I was wondering if it can be used in play of the USB Connection... Just a straight method for connecting your Radio to your Computer? For everything, updates, etc...

That would be Epic... as my 6 yr old always says... ;-)
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

hamerson wrote:I have received 9Xtreme and all looks good. I have a problem with the installation guide. Step 3 mentions two screw holes marked in blue, but the picture is cut off just below the one marked in green. Please show me the blue ones.
Thanks,
Amos
Will this help? My install showing the 2 screws at the bottom center of the board. You use the black or silver. I used the black because they matched the others?
I used a drill bit to engaged the 2 plastic post holes the screws must go into. You do this carefully because the new screws are larger in diameter, and can split the plastic posts if the hole is too small. Thread them in before mounting the board to cut new threads. When drilling, plastic can fall into the LCD screen area so out some tape there to catch it.
The 2 plastic spacers in the kit must be used on the screws to stand the board off of the 9x board. They want to fall off! I put my screws through the board, put the standoff on them, held them against the board, and used a dab of hot glue to one side of each standoff. This holds them in place and they won't fall off trying to mount the board.
I hope this helps
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445875346.595905.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445875312.861801.jpg
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Speaker Mount for the 9X to be used with the 9Xtreme Speaker.

The trick is to drill some holes in your case to allow more sound to penetrate thru. It makes a huge difference.
Also, have some space between the speaker and the case allows the speaker to breathe better and send out a better sound.

Thingiverse Link

This link includes the Lid too if you want it.
Last edited by LTMNO on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

hamerson wrote:I have received 9Xtreme and all looks good. I have a problem with the installation guide. Step 3 mentions two screw holes marked in blue, but the picture is cut off just below the one marked in green. Please show me the blue ones.
Thanks,
Amos
The top of the installation instructions says: "Click the thumbnails to see the full image."
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

LTMNO wrote:Speaker Mount for the 9X to be used with the 9Xtreme Speaker.
Awesome job! Looks great. Makes me want to go out and get a 3D printer!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

ShowMaster wrote:I used a drill bit to engaged the 2 plastic post holes the screws must go into. You do this carefully because the new screws are larger in diameter, and can split the plastic posts if the hole is too small.
The accuracy of that statement depends on the 9X. I explain it somewhere on my site... there were SUPPOSED to be two sizes of screws provided, 2.2mm and 2.5mm. The 2.5mm are correct for newer 9Xs while the 2.2mm are correct for the older ones. Unfortunately, the factory screwed up (pun semi-intended) and both are the same size (2.5mm). Thankfully, it is easily remedied for those that it applies to.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I like the black. The silver ones will look good in another project I'm working on.
I thought the threads looked the same diameter.
Considering this kit was put together in China and nailed directly to me, I'm impressed. So far I think the screws may be the only hiccup. That's great
Testo

Post by Testo »

s_mack wrote:
ShowMaster wrote:From the burned board parts can you tell what circuits were burned up Steven?

Not enough details to make any guesses, really.

The two components which he asked about are transistors upstream from the voltage regulator. There's a 3rd which I imagine should have been fried too at the same time and a 4th which I'd question as well. See picture. 1 & 2 are the two he asked about. #3 is really another of the same and I would think whatever happened to the other two would happen it that one as well. #4 is the same component, but playing a different role. Still, I'd check it.

Did we ever actually find out what "f**** battery" or whatever he said meant?

Alright guys, sorry I'm very busy at work.

There have been no modifications or other wirings on the 9X Board, i repaired once a broken conductor from the power switch but i can promise this wasn't/isn't the reason of the broken parts.
I ordered a pack of 50 of these transistors, so if there is another broken one I can replace it, sadly these transistors also come from China so I/we have to wait a little bit. I'm trying to figure out why my RF-Unit burned out but i don't focus on that because I almost have a new 9X and the old one is used for spare parts.

F**** is a word I didn't wanted to use on the Internet but I was that angry, lets say it a little bit nicer: my "bad" battery ;)
hamerson

Post by hamerson »

Thanks, Showmaster and Steve.
Amos
hamerson

Post by hamerson »

Can the 9Xtreme work without the battery? (listed as optional) What will not work other than the speaker?
Amos
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

hamerson wrote:Can the 9Xtreme work without the battery? (listed as optional) What will not work other than the speaker?
Amos
Speaker works without the cr1220 battery. It is for the rtc (real time clock). Required for the time to be retained after you shut the tx off.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The CR1220 battery is only for the real time clock.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
DBush

Post by DBush »

DBush wrote:OK, a bit frustrated. I installed the board, thought I did everything right, but now have "switch error". I've double checked the connections several times. A few specifics:
- I'm fairly new at this.
- I have a DJT in the slot
- Screen goes from red to blue to red to teal.
- my potentiometer on the front is modified to a 6 position switch, but that never made the radio unhappy before.
- Of course all my switches are in the right starting position.
- I would send a pic, but not sure how to get a link to it. It pretty much looks like the pic in the instructions. Made sure all the connectors went in the "right" way too.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

DB
OK, now that someone was so kind as to show me how to upload pics, here is my install. I don't see anything obviously wrong, but then if I did, I would have already fixed it! Anyway, still "Switch error!". :(
I saw some talk of how to wire up the DJT. I do have a DJT, but have not got as far as wiring that part up yet (i.e. connecting the black and white wires). Could that be causing issues? I thought that was for additional telemetry features and should not affect basic operation.

Thanks,

DB
Attachments
image1.JPG
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

You are correct that he frsky wire is optional and is not your issue.

Everything looks correct.

Is your screen simply saying "switch error" or are you summarizing? If it just says that, then this is the original firmware you're still seeing and suggests there's no contact between the 9X and the 9Xtreme.

First and foremost... have you confirmed that you have a V2 9X? Check here.

Other than that: the screws have to be tight (not too tight). At least one other person didn't realize there were spring pins on the bottom that have to make contact, so I thought I'd mention it. The pins and pads should be clean. There have been many reports over the years of flux residue (varnish like substance) left on the pads that prevent a good connection. They can be cleaned with 99% alcohol. Make sure the 9Xtreme's 4 spring pins are all there, not damaged, and are reasonably straight (they aren't going to be perfect, nor do they need to be). Finally, make sure your pads aren't all bumpy with gobs of solder. They should be reasonably flat and smooth.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Normally "Switch Error" also shows the switch(es) that are in error. Do you see any of these. Try powering up with, say, the ELE switch actually wrong. You should see ELE under Switch Error. Do you see anything else?

This might be caused by something else. I recall the switch error screen gets displayed, but it is not cleared until something else happens, so my be left over!

I'll check later tonight.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi DBush,
When I powered my 9Xtreme up for the first time I had several switch alarms,
but I am thinking this is normal, So just keep pressing one of the buttons until there is no more alarms.
Then you need to go to Radio setup and make change to some of the setting there.
Then it should power up properly.

It depends what hardware modification that your radio may have.
I am guessing here, ..... so I may be way off on what the problem is.
Then Mike and Steve should be able to help you.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
DBush

Post by DBush »

Mike, thanks, that got it. Confirmed v2, cleaned pads, exercised spring pins to make sure no sticky, re-tightened screws to make sure board firmly in place, re-assembled and viola, it works! Thanks so much! Now to figure out the software and how to wire up my DJT...
DBush

Post by DBush »

Ps thanks as well to you Bob!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

DBush wrote:Mike, thanks, that got it. Confirmed v2, cleaned pads, exercised spring pins to make sure no sticky, re-tightened screws to make sure board firmly in place, re-assembled and viola, it works! Thanks so much! Now to figure out the software and how to wire up my DJT...
Maybe start out using the B&W wire cable into the DJT rear data port? No module pins 2&5 or major 9x backboard pin 2 mods required.
DBush

Post by DBush »

ShowMaster wrote: Maybe start out using the B&W wire cable into the DJT rear data port? No module pins 2&5 or major 9x backboard pin 2 mods required.
ShowMaster, since you brought it up, yes I am debating those two possibilities. Obviously I would prefer the latter, but I have not looked at the difficulty. Seems annoying but do-able from what I have read. Maybe as you say, start out with the easy and then do the other if I find myself needing to take modules in and out? One thing I am not sure of is what is meant by the "rear data port"? Is that the external 4 pin port? I assume that the power and ground would not be used and I would just be wiring to the tx/rx? Further, it seems I would have to go out of the case and then loop back to the port? That is not very appealing either aesthetically or practically. I think I would rather go from the tx case into the DJT module and find a way to hook it up internally to the DJT. Seems just a little less trouble than doing the "right" way in the first place?
DBush

Post by DBush »

LTMNO wrote:Speaker Mount for the 9X to be used with the 9Xtreme Speaker.
Thanks for the speaker mount. Just printed mine. Found that if you print them both outer face down with supports, the print quality is better. I had to import your file, separate them, flip one over, and then re-export. But otherwise, look great. Will install soon...

Also, just a quick question for MikeB & S_mack. I don't want this to turn into a big debate as I am sure it is somewhere else, and I am new at this so I don't really have a clue, but was there a reason you went with ER9X vs OpenTx as the default? I know the purpose of the board among other things is the ability to go whichever way you want, but I was just curious if there was anything specific other than enie miene moe that made you go with ER9X?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes, only txd/rxd is needed, ground is common to the -.
Yes, use the DJT data port on the back of the module.
If you add a 2 wire servo type cable extension the hole can be really small. Push the pins out of the connector, feed the wires through the small hole, put the pins back into the connector. No reason to make a hole larger to clear the connector. I've seen some really big ugly case holes at my field over the years.
The small orange 2 pin JST connectors should mate with the b&w cable for an extension. I make my own so I add the connector after I run it through any holes in my projects. It's not so easy to push the pins out. Maybe a spliced soldered one with a male JST inside and the FM outside.

The DJT module and 9x pin mods require attention to detail, and a steady hand when soldering, but are a nice way to go.

My favorite I'm using now!
Best/easiest all around option if you want to spend $30!
The best and easiest, is to install a XJT module, and just solder the black 9Xtreme Frsky wire to the 9x module pin 5. No other mods required to the XJT or 9X. You also can now use a Frsky D or X receiver and any sensor Frsky makes. It doesn't stop you from plugging in a orange or hack dsm module either.

I sold off my stock DJT module at my field and bought the XJT. Cost me $10 to upgrade. I have many D receivers over the years, but the X and Sport sensors are really nice. No D hub to mess with and I think that's being phased out as well? I use the X6R a lot now. I have Sport and the A2 port support with it.

Please report back how it all goes.
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

DBush wrote:was there a reason you went with ER9X vs OpenTx as the default? I know the purpose of the board among other things is the ability to go whichever way you want, but I was just curious if there was anything specific other than enie miene moe that made you go with ER9X?
1. I'm the main (only?) developer for ersky9x.
2. I feel ersky9x is easier to use.
3. Developing for openTx is a pain. Every time you want to re-compile it, it re-compiles nearly everything, and takes a long time to do so. If you want to compile for a different target hardware you HAVE to compile everything. My setup for ersky9x only compiles changed files, even if you switch target hardware, so is MUCH faster.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”