9Xtreme Mod to Change USB Female Connector

bob195558

9Xtreme Mod to Change USB Female Connector

Post by bob195558 »

9Xtreme Mod to use original Mini USB Female Connector

Optional Mod to use the original Mini USB Type B Female Connector from the older Smartieparts 9x Solderless Programmer Board.
(http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331)
Because the new 9Xtreme Upgrade Board for 9x Radios comes with the cell-phone size Micro USB Type B Female Connector,
you may want to use in its place the original Mini USB Type B Female Connector, which will match all the 9x radios USB connections.
9Xtreme Board_c.jpg
To do this USB Mod, cut the 9Xtreme 4 pin plug off and soldered it to the older 9x Solderless Programmer Board Mini USB Type B Female cable.
Make sure you connect the four 9Xtreme plug wires (not color coded) correctly to the original Mini USB Female Connector cable.
Modified USB Cable.jpg
My experience using the smaller Micro USB Type B Female Connectors is that they have a higher rate of failure as they can break off
much more easily with normal uses.
So when using the smaller Micro USB Female Connector be vary careful when connecting to it.

Below is a photo showing a comparison between the two USB connectors.
9X USB Comparison_b.jpg

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

fxsti

Re: 9Xtreme Mod / Change USB Female Connector

Post by fxsti »

Do you know of a cable that we can use to replace the original 9xtreme wires and header, maybe even longer?
I would like to have a fallback before cutting the original one, even though only one side is being cut and rewired.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

The connector on both ends of the cable are JST "ZH" plugs. For example, I found this listing on eBay. It doesn't state explicitly, but I'm assuming the other end of the cable are bare wire but you can take two of them and splice them together. You might be able to find them cheaper because this is a set of 10 and also comes with the matching headers (which you wouldn't need), but even still its only $7 shipping included.
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

Thank you.

Return to “9Xtreme upgrade board”