9Xtreme Upgrade Board for 9x Radios

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
s_mack

Re: 9Xtreme Upgrade Board for 9x Radios

Post by s_mack »

You don't have it quite right with the European agents. Well, you do and you don't - it depends. Shipping from China is different than most countries. When you ship from Canada, for example, it is via Canada Post and that's it. They send it to (for example) Italy where Poste Italiane takes over for final delivery. Simple. Straight forward. And that's how it works for most countries. But China is such a huge exporter of "stuff" that there's a really big pie and other country's postal services have a chance to get some.

So Deutche Post and Swiss Post and USPS and Royal Post (UK) have all set up shop there... in China. When I send something via DP, it isn't going to Germany and then Armenia... it is going from China to Armenia using the German postal service.

USPS and Royal Mail appear to only be available for shipping to those countries. German and Swiss Post are available to anywhere in the world.

There are some other services too, which is where you might have picked up on that Netherlands thing. I have some psuedo-courier services available to me. I'm not entirely sure who is handling them, but they say things like "European Express (via Netherlands)" and "European Express (via UK)". In these cases, I think the point is to avoid certain regulations. Perhaps batteries, for example, travel more easily when processed through the Netherlands' system. So I believe parcels sent with these services actually do go to an intermediate country prior to continuing to the destination.

Finally there are other non-specific services to certain countries, most notably France and Russia, which are called "Express Lines" and are relatively inexpensive. So far, however, they aren't appearing to be any faster so I think their purpose is more streamlined customs processing, which really doesn't apply to these low-value shipments.

As for China Post and HK Post: They are VERY cheap and, as you'd expect, very slow. I can send these packages almost anywhere in the world for less than $2 using these services. But I didn't think customers would appreciate waiting 2 months so I didn't even consider it. As an experiment, I sent one to myself using CN Post. It'll probably arrive before the UPS one does.

s_mack

Post by s_mack »

s_mack wrote:German and Swiss Post are available to anywhere in the world.
I should note that "available" doesn't equate to "practical". To some countries DP is quite pricey while SP might be reasonable, or vice versa. Some countries DP is even LESS money than China Post (although not the $2 I was mentioning before, which has no tracking)! There's some weird ones too... Australia, for example, has quite a premium when it comes to tracking. I don't know why. It also introduces a delay. I can send to Australia via DP *without* tracking for a good price and it shows 6-10 days. Tracking quadruples the price and it shows 7-12 days. I've been sending Australian ones without tracking in the interest of the speed consideration.

Virtually all of the 10,000 or so SP Programmer boards I shipped around the globe were sent via CanadaPost Light Packets service, which has no tracking at all... and less than 10 were ever claimed to be lost (6 of those to S. Africa).
IanF9X

Post by IanF9X »

I wasn't expecting mine so soon. I assume dispatched 12th and arrived 15th to Northern Ireland. Deliveries appear to be a bit of a lottery.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

If so, you won!
IanF9X

Post by IanF9X »

s_mack wrote:If so, you won!
:D
Attachments
image.jpg

vahegan

Post by vahegan »

s_mack wrote:So Deutche Post and Swiss Post and USPS and Royal Post (UK) have all set up shop there... in China. When I send something via DP, it isn't going to Germany and then Armenia... it is going from China to Armenia using the German postal service.
Well, it may be so for the USA, Canada, and major European countries which have huge mail turnover with China. For Armenia I can say for sure that, if I order shipping by any European mail agents, then my package goes to the post hub in their respective countries, and is then shipped to a transit country which has postal agreement with Armenia, and then it arrives here. I study the tracks carefully, trying to find the best shipping options directly to Armenia (except for express mail which is very expensive to here - usually starting from $80-90for a small package). I have a small software in which I enter the tracking number and the list of up to 10 postal services which I want to try for tracking events. Here is, for example, a screenshot for the replacement quadcopter which I recently ordered from Banggood for modding purposes.
The package was shipped by the Netherlands Post. You can see that in about a week after the track number was activated the package arrived in Amsterdam, went to the PostNL sorting center, and in about 4 days has left the Netherlands. In about 10 more days it arrived in Armenia and the next day was delivered. During these 10 days the package has visited another transit country, but this wasn't reflected in tracking information. Earlier this transit country was Russia, and the mail was extremely slow (sometimes, although very rarely, I was able to "catch" the tracking records in Russian Post and it really took months until it was delivered. Starting last year, mail from European countries is arriving much quicker than before. I assume Europe changed its transit country to Armenia but I wasn't able to "catch" any intermediate tracking records in any of the European countries so far. Once the package arrives in Armenia, it is processed very fast, it is processed by the customs and is usually delivered the very next day... The mail from Asian countries still goes through Russia and still takes 3-4 months to arrive, therefore I am trying to avoid these.

I think this is offtopic in this thread but I thought my experience could be somehow useful for your shipping decisions.
vahegan

Post by vahegan »

s_mack wrote:So Deutche Post and Swiss Post and USPS and Royal Post (UK) have all set up shop there... in China. When I send something via DP, it isn't going to Germany and then Armenia... it is going from China to Armenia using the German postal service.
Well, it may be so for the USA, Canada, and major European countries which have huge mail turnover with China. For Armenia I can say for sure that, if I order shipping by any European mail agents, then my package goes to the post hub in their respective countries, and is then shipped to a transit country which has postal agreement with Armenia, and then it arrives here. I study the tracks carefully, trying to find the best shipping options directly to Armenia (except for express mail which is very expensive to here - usually starting from $80-90 for a small package). I have a small software in which I enter the tracking number and the list of up to 10 postal services which I want to try for tracking events. It is set to try the different postal services once every hour or so. Here is, for example, a screenshot for the replacement quadcopter which I recently ordered from Banggood for modding purposes.
The package was shipped by the Netherlands Post. You can see that in about a week after the track number was activated the package arrived in Amsterdam, went to the PostNL sorting center, and in about 4 days has left the Netherlands. In about 10 more days it arrived in Armenia and the next day was delivered. During these 10 days the package has visited another transit country, but this wasn't reflected in tracking information. Earlier this transit country was Russia, and the mail was extremely slow (sometimes, although very rarely, I was able to "catch" the tracking records in Russian Post and it really took months until it was delivered. Starting last year, mail from European countries is arriving much quicker than before. I assume Europe changed its transit country to Armenia but I wasn't able to "catch" any intermediate tracking records in any of the European countries so far. Once the package arrives in Armenia, it is processed very fast, it is processed by the customs and is usually delivered the very next day... The mail from Asian countries still goes through Russia and still takes 3-4 months to arrive, therefore I am trying to avoid these.

I think this is offtopic in this thread but I thought my experience could be somehow useful for your shipping decisions.
Last edited by vahegan on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

I'm the king of off-topic. No sweat. I appreciate your input. That image didn't upload properly. I wonder if its the case that only the customs processing happened in Amsterdam? It just doesn't make sense for the physical package to travel there for no real reason. Most systems are far more efficient than that (unless, as I suggested earlier, it is a specific service to work with/around some regulation). I've seen tracking that appeared to suggest my package travelled from China to Canada in a matter of hours, but since that's impossible... the only explanation was that the "paperwork" was sent for pre-clearance. Still, it showed on the tracking like it was there.

Anyway, I only know what I know. The rest is (more or less educated) guesses. So I accept that it is fully possible for weird things to be happening in your neck of the woods.
vahegan

Post by vahegan »

Hmm. Strange. The image was showing OK in the message. I changed the code - is it any better now? It shows a small blurry preview and when I click on it it opens the full image now.
As of customs processing, how can they customs clear something without physically having the item? BTW, I assume it is the customs that holds the packages for so long in Russia: their customs in Moscow is overloaded, so they send the package to some remote city by train, customs-clear it there, and then send it back by train. In the process, it can be forgotten and neglected, therefore it takes ages. I truly hate Russian post - it is best to totally avoid it.
If you can see my screenshot, the format of the tracking records is that it describes the event, followed by a comma and either the origin or the destination, or the transit country (or city). If it lists USA, in the record, it may well be just an indication of the destination.
As for the efficiency of strange routs - weird things happen sometimes, and shortest path does not necessarily mean fastest. Express shipping companies try to find the fastest route. Normal post is looking whether there is a direct postal agreement with the destination country. If there is, the item is shipped accordingly. If there isn't, they try to find a transit country which has a postal agreement with the destination country and ship it there. If there are several such countries, they usually choose the one which offer cheapest options. These transit countries are not too much interested in quickest transit of someone else's mail, and they usually give it low priority. And the package may sit there for quite some time. Also, once they customs clear the package, they mark it shipped out of the country. But in reality, although it crossed the customs border this does not necessarily mean that it crossed the physical border too. Sometimes it sits in a warehouse at the airport waiting to be shipped: I have had packages in the past for which this wait was as long as two weeks in Frankfurt (!).
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Most customs clearance is done without the physical goods. A very small percentage is physically inspected. How often have you ever seen a package that's been opened? I think I've seen it twice in my whole life. Here in Canada, when it happens, they are required to put bright red tape on it explaining it has been opened. Of course, everywhere is different.
vahegan

Post by vahegan »

Yes, I am seeing open packages once in a while. They are not putting a special indication on it, but I can guess it when the package was apparently repacked and resealed by a different tape. Several times they have cut the packaging so harshly that almost damaged the contents (once they actually damaged an antenna cable on a X8R receiver - I had to cut it and resolder the PCB antenna at a shorter length). They have to inspect it - to make sure there is no drugs traffic sent by post.

A few times they have called me to visit the customs so that they would open the box for inspection in my presence - but that was when they suspected that the price of package contents might have been higher than the maximum value allowed for tax-free import.

I assume they normally inspect the packages by X-ray or ultrasound and if something attracts their attention they open the box. On the other hand, if they read in the description that the contents may be of some value they put it aside and send out a notification for inspection. Well, these are my guesses, based on a few years of ordering from the Internet.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'd like to know when anyone in the Los Angels area or I guess California takes delivery. My sd card and CR1220 will be delivered before oct27 so I'm in not ready until then anyway.
Time to be prepared for any fixes that show up?

What's the precaution needed with the BL led wires?
Install the CR1220 before installing the board.
Reverse the DIY programming and telemetry mods to my 9x board.
Make up and measure many times, a polarized battery pack adapter for a new life04 I'm going to use.
Get required programs and fw loaded on my computer and backup thumb drive.
Review programming tips.
What audio pack to load?
Find my xjt module.
Prep my trusty Bixler 4ch powered glider test plane. It has a X receiver to start, Lipo measurement sensors, GPS, vario, and soon, a Frsky speed sensor. I'll strip it down for some first tests, and if satisfied the 9Xtreme is stable, I'll try all the sensors. This will give the hardware, and Mikes fw and telemetry, a good workout. Somewhere I have a current sensor but it may not be a Sport? I do have a D receiver and a hub with sensors for that test.
Read the forum every day for updates.

That should keep me busy while waiting.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Fixes :mrgreen: What fixes? :o

My backlight wires had some glue on them where they connect to the backlight itself. I just put the backlight in with the wires towards the bottom of the case, then replaced the original main board, added the 9Xtreme, then the connecter plugged in with the wires being restrained by the two boards, so didn't really strain the connections to the backlight.
Yes install the CR1220 before installing the board.
Yes remove the programming connections, and the telemetry connections, and clean the pads. You don't need to reverse the THR and AIL telemetry mod.
Definitely check the battery polarity!
The 9Xtreme comes with ersky9x pre-loaded.
Voice packs here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7715#p102758.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Los Angeles checking in.
I just got mine 10min ago, wow very nice!
It beat my Amazon SD card and battery order. I think the SD cards by 8p tonight but the battery next week. I guess I'll be buying one locally and have a spare.
Yes to the BL wires being secured and look good.
I guess I could be flying this by Friday, my normal all day at the field day.
To the "lab"
Thanks for the tips Mike and the voice pack link.
Update!
Amazon at the door, I have me SD card just now also. Just need the battery now.
SM
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I just realized I have a pair of version A swap out gimbals from my first A Taranis. Aloft sent me a replacement set when I asked about centering. I could hook them up to the 9xtreme board when it all installed and working, to see how good they center.
No clue right off if they're the same that will work?
SM
Mutchy

Post by Mutchy »

Hi Mike and Joao.
First please accept my heartfelt appreciation for the sterling work you have done creating the firmware for this new board. I don't know where you get the time to work at a job, eat and sleep.

I am here because two friends have ordered 9Xtreme boards and knowing of my long term involvement with ErSky9x, Sky9x boards and the 9XR Pro development they think I am an expert! Now I standardised on r204 in my four radios so I am way behind current developments. Of course there are no manuals for the 9Xtreme and no Installation instructions yet but looking at the board that should not be a great problem. But I need to bring myself up to date. Where can I start?
I have a copy of Nigel's document on the revised menu structure in use since r214 and note that he intends to write a revised manual "Ersky9x Explained" but it's not here yet AFIK. Would the recent ER9X manual/s which Nigel and Jaoa wrote help? (Where are they by the way; a Google search doesn't bring them up readily?)

Will DJT modules altered as I described in the manual "9XR Pro An Introduction to the Hardware", Appendix A work? Below is the circuit diagram I used. The link to the manual is viewtopic.php?f=123&t=5581

Cheers
Steve

Parts Required
R43: 2,700 Ohm ½ Watt resistor
R44: 4,700 Ohm ½ Watt resistor
D3: BAT85 Schottky Diode (1N5819 Schottky diode may be substituted)
Note: The diode is only required if the module is for use in a Taranis transmitter.
Attachments
DJT Mods for Telemetry.jpg
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hi Steve, good to see you here.. :)

The Er9x manual is here.. The basics are the same. Ersky9x only has a few more features..

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

DJT modules modified as shown should be fine. The diode is still only needed for use in a Taranis as the 9Xtreme includes a diode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm going to start prepping my EBay Iris 9x now that my 9Xtreme board's here. I'm going to use a stock XJT module. I have to undo and restore the 9X board to original as it has telemetry only mods, no programming mods. No backboard module pin connections were done, a data cable through the case was used for the DJT modules interface.
While I'm in the case, what module pin trace mods do I want to make? I'd rather ask then assume as I'm treating this like a first timer, making notes as I go along. I'm thinking some at my local club field will want to upgrade their stock 9x's when they see mine.

I actually have a new stock 9x board and a backboard in a back case half from other past projects. I may use those and keep the Iris 9x board and case back as they came. Someone may want to use them and the telemetry mods are already done cleanly.

Decisions? In any case, what are back board mods for using a XJT via Sbus or is it Sport? Maybe module pin 1,2,or 5? Wow I'm really out of touch thinking about it?
Thanks
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For the XJT just connect the black wire for the telemetry connection to pin 5 (bottom pin, old antenna connection). You don't actually need to cut any tracks on the back board for this as pin 5 doesn't connect to anything except the big antenna pad.
For a DJT (with wiring mods), you would need to cut the tracks for pin 2 on the back board, and then wire the white wire to pin 2.
(Note: This is the SPort connection not Sbus, Sbus is output by a receiver to control servos).
There is no need to remove telemetry mod wiring that moves the THR and AIL switches to different pins of the Atmel processor. The 9Xtreme just needs good contact to the 4 pads for the pogo pins.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Really good info Mike! I thought it over and remembered the pro sport XJT was a last minute addition thanks to the work you did with Frsky. So Sport pin 5 it is. Ok on not reversing the telemetry mods. I think I'll go for the spare board, but either way I'm covered with out any haste.
I'm not sure, but maybe Steven included the wire for the pin 5 Sport mod? I'll focus on the parts in the box before moving forward.
SM
Sport cable update. MikeB has posted that the black wire on the black and white supplied cable is the one I want to connect to pin 5 of the module bay pins counting from top to bottom. This connects to the xjt modules Sport and avoids any external wiring exiting the tx case.
No xjt module mod required to use this option. Pin 5 on the 9x back board has trace on it that goes nowhere, so no mod required there either.
robert221

Post by robert221 »

Christmas came early this year, I have just received my 9Xtreme. In the midst of the assembly was the sudden stop. I can not figure out what to do with 12 pin connector. The smallest side does not fit 9Xtreme board. The widest end, fits J6 on 9Xtreme board but it makes no sense.

Sorry for my Google English.

/Robert
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

robert221 wrote:The smallest side does not fit 9Xtreme board.
Yes, it does :)

I'm writing the instructions RIGHT NOW. I'll send an email out tonight.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I do have a question for now and the in progress instructions. What side of the BL goes towards the back of the LCD display? I assume the white plastics stays on both sides. I had to stop at this point due to not having the 1220 battery and also ran out of time, so I didn't continue with a dry run assembly.
The BL assembly comes with the wires nicely folded back around one side. Is that indicating this is the side that should face the 9x main board when put back in?
With the HK BL I used to power it up and put the brightest side towards the LCD displays back side.
Minor, but I won't see it until the assembly's all done and powered.

Also, we are opening up the molded buzzer slots to make a better speaker grill correct?
Might as well while I have it apart.

Finally for now.

Some 9x mods I did for charging. I found a new 8 cell 2000ma LSD NiMh pack I bought for another radio but never installed it. I think I'll use it. All my RC systems for years have been JR. I have so many wall wart chargers, some with a 120ma tx 8 cell output. As most know, JR makes the center pin on the charge jack -, outside +. I reverse my 9x builds charge jack polarity to match my JR's. I also bridge the series protection diode in the 9X and other radios with a 3A pico solder in fuse. The idea is I now can fast charge my internal pack at 1C but if I short the jack, the fuse blows before the wiring and traces burn out/open. If I do blow the fuse I can still charge through the diode that's now in the circuit again.
Many fast chargers don't like the diode in the circuit. Yes with the diode shorted out by the fuse I could reverse charge. It's not been an issue in all the years.

It could be a problem due to the soft off circuit? Is it ever really off?
Something for Mike to comment on. If so, the reversed JR charge wiring stays, the fuse jumping the diode goes. I'll rather charge for 20 hours with a wall wart, or remove the battery and fast charge it.
I have a spare life04 I keep charged as plan B. I'd rather charge in the tx however.
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The smaller end plugs into the connector near the midle of the board, just above the SD card socket. The larger end plugs into the original main board. The 12-way connector at the right of the board is for the cable from the back board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

ShowMaster wrote:What side of the BL goes towards the back of the LCD display? I assume the white plastics stays on both sides.
Mine seemed to have an "obvious" way up due to the wires leaving the unit on one side. I simply mounted it so the wires didn't need to be bent at all.

It seems bright enough to me, although, as s_mack told me during development, the red is not as bright as the green and blue.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

MikeB wrote:It seems bright enough to me, although, as s_mack told me during development, the red is not as bright as the green and blue.
Its better than the prototype was. I had them change the mix to what we have now. There's room for improvement, but I think its pretty good! I've got mine a nice mauve.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

s_mack wrote: The 9Xtreme installation instructions are ready!
Well, at least a draft copy.
I wanted to get it up so those of you that are anxious to get going have something to work with.
I'll need time to get it all prim and proper.
Feel free to report any typos or if something isn't clear.
Here you go!
9Xtreme Installation Instructions: (http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... page&id=33).
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Wow, greet instructions! I just finished my install while you were writing them. I'm good! Had a few connector goes where questions I had to answer, but got it. I did what I'll call a dry fit to see what it could look like. I didn't remove the Bl film but it looks bright enough to not worry about it. The natural curv of the BL wires make the install decision easy, don't rebend them, go with the bend.
I did find out about the snap in standoff as I studied them and the top board hole size. I decided only 2 bottom screw would be used to secure the board. Liking the long black screw look I used a finger drill to open the two bottom plastic post holes to accept them. I also opened the bottom 2 9Xtreme board holes to let the new screws pass through.
I also used the 2 plastic spacers on the new screws. The spacers wanted to slide off so with the spacers on the screws, I put a dab of hot glue off to the side of each spacer. This secures them but let's the screw turm freely.

I opened up the molded speaker grill with my hobby knife. I mounted the speaker with a dab of hot glue on the left and right center edge and the 6:00 bottom edge and quickly pressed it into place. Maybe foam later.

I turned it all on, the after a brief wait and a button push, it was working, yea!
No RTC battery yet but not critical now.
I calibrated the sticks, checked trims, pots and switches, all good.
BL colors are all working. No voice files on the SD card yet but I do have beeps.
First impression, it's all working.

Is haptic supported? I see in in the ersky9x menu.

I haven't connected the USB breakout board yet or the XJT module bay pin 5 for Sport. I'll do that when I install the RTC battery still on its way. Then I'll try binding to a receiver and controlling servos, and a computer connection for programming.
SM
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Supported, yes. Included, not (obviously but figured I'd say it for those not looking at a kit).

you just need to supply a vibrator motor of your own and solder it to the appropriate holes. I documented that somewhere. I'll get it on my site sooner or later :)

Return to “Hardware”