Taranis X9D Plus Quesions. I'm a newbie.

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Steven4HIM

Post by Steven4HIM »

Hi everyone, I am totally new to the Taranis so please bare with me. I just purchased a X9D Plus.

I have a few questions:

1. Where do I locate on the Taranis what version firmware and OpenTX I have on my Taranis.
2. I use a Mac, where do I find the proper Companion software for my Taranis and is Mac compatible?
3. I would like to use this radio on my older RC planes as well with my new Quad. All my Planes are equipped with the older Futaba RF receivers. Is there a module that would allow me to use my old receivers, if not, is there a receiver that I can use from Frsky or any other that will operate my Futaba servos using my new Taranis?

Thank you in advance and I am very appreciative for this forum.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

JESUS performed the ultimate sacrifice and died for your salvation. (John 3:16)
The GI for your freedom.

Guns have 2 enemies:
1. Rust
2. Politicians

Steven4HIM

Re: Taranis X9D Plus Quesions. I'm a newbie.

Post by Steven4HIM »

Hello, I figured out how to find the version I have on my Taranis. I have version opentx-x9dp-v2.0.9.2. So where does that make me fall as to which Companion software to download? I originally downloaded 2.1.1 Companion and it seems to link up to it but I am not sure if it is the one I need to be using. I haven't updated it to 2.1.1 yet, is this something I should do or wait on? Also I still would like to know about my 3rd question, about the Futaba equipment with the Taranis. Thank you.

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

The GI for your freedom.

Guns have 2 enemies:
1. Rust
2. Politicians
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Your best bet is to go with OpenTxCompanion 2.017. OpenTx 2.017 in my opinion. 2.0.17 is stable and fixes some bugs that are present in earlier versions including that shipped with your unit. 2.1.1 is an advanced version and requires quite a bit of different ways of handling telemetry and Lua scripts, more powerful, but 2.0.17 is better supported by the user community in RcGroups and here at the moment.

Mac is supported.
Start here: http://www.open-tx.org/downloads.html
That requires updating both your Mac and the transmitter. But there is no "sanctioned" Companion for 2.0.9 although I think I remember that OpenTxCompanion 2.0.13 will work with it.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Steven4HIM

Post by Steven4HIM »

Thank you for your reply. So I downloaded 2.0.17 and tried to update the firmware to 2.0.17 but it said that my version was not compatible with the version I was trying to update it to. I then when to the 2.0.13 and when I go to up date the firmware it doesn't see any firmware to update to. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. What do I need to do to update from my current version of 2.0.9.2 to 2.0.17? Thank you in advance.

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

The GI for your freedom.

Guns have 2 enemies:
1. Rust
2. Politicians
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Are you trying to do the update with the 3 finger salute (Bootloader) or...?
Was it Companion that said it wasn't compatible or the transmitter....need a more details to help.

You can alternately, take the SD card out, put it in on your PC/MAC and write the new firmware to to the FIRMWARES folder and try it that way.

I use a PC and " I know nothing" about Macs.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

You are unlikely to find a module that will work with your old Futaba FASST receivers but there should still be a good market for them. Many people have reported coming out ahead on the deal when they replace with FrSky.

There is no problem using Futaba servos with FrSky receivers.

Be aware that 100% throw on Taranis is equivalent to 125% on most other radios and take this into account in setting up your old models. To get equivalent throws, you start by setting limits on Taranis to 80%.
Steven4HIM

Post by Steven4HIM »

Thank you for getting back to me rdeanchurch. I honestly am so new at this that I am not 100%. I have the Taranis hooked up to the USB via my iMac. (I'm assuming the 3 finger salute is this method being I have to push the 2 trim buttons inward and turn it on at the same time). I downloaded the 2.0.17 Companion and when I clicked write firmware to the Taranis, The Companion software said it was not compatible.

If I choose the SD card route, where do I get the firmware file to be able to copy over to the SD card at? I believe it is looking for a .bin file right? So I am trying to but things together here, from what you said and looking at the screen when I do the 3 finger salute I am gathering that if I copy over the new firmware file to the SD Card Firmware's directory I then select Write Firmware on the Bootloader screen? If so, where do I get that firmware file from? Thanks again.

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

The GI for your freedom.

Guns have 2 enemies:
1. Rust
2. Politicians
Steven4HIM

Post by Steven4HIM »

Daedalus66 wrote:You are unlikely to find a module that will work with your old Futaba FASST receivers but there should still be a good market for them. Many people have reported coming out ahead on the deal when they replace with FrSky.

Be aware that 100% throw on Taranis is equivalent to 125% on most other radios and take this into account in setting up your old models. To get equivalent throws, you start by setting limits on Taranis to 80%.

That's great to hear, so if I just replace all my old Futaba receivers with Frsky ones all my servos should work ok? Some of my servos are analog and some are digital. We are talking as far back as 15 years or so that I have had some of my planes, all should be ok? I have gotten out of RC flying for about 7 years due to having kids and work and not having time to fly, but recently have gotten into Quadcopters and it brought back that spark to want to pull out all my planes again. When I was last flying RF receivers with the specific channel crystals was the norm and all this new stuff was just starting out so I never got into it at the time, so I am real excited to get this Taranis, but there is so much to learn again. Thanks for your info and suggestions about the throws, I will be sure to watch out for it.

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

The GI for your freedom.

Guns have 2 enemies:
1. Rust
2. Politicians
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You have a Taranis Plus. This needs a different version of firmware to the basic Taranis. Make sure you download firmware for the PLUS. This is most likely the reason for the "not compatible" message.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Steven4HIM wrote:
Daedalus66 wrote:You are unlikely to find a module that will work with your old Futaba FASST receivers but there should still be a good market for them. Many people have reported coming out ahead on the deal when they replace with FrSky.

That's great to hear, so if I just replace all my old Futaba receivers with Frsky ones all my servos should work ok? Some of my servos are analog and some are digital. We are talking as far back as 15 years or so that I have had some of my planes, all should be ok? I have gotten out of RC flying for about 7 years due to having kids and work and not having time to fly, but recently have gotten into Quadcopters and it brought back that spark to want to pull out all my planes again. When I was last flying RF receivers with the specific channel crystals was the norm and all this new stuff was just starting out so I never got into it at the time, so I am real excited to get this Taranis, but there is so much to learn again. Thanks for your info and suggestions about the throws, I will be sure to watch out for it.

I may have misled you about the salability of your old receivers as I assumed they were 2.4 units from a few years ago. All radios are "RF" by definition, so what you probably meant was "FM", often used (rather misleadingly) to refer to the old 72 MHz equipment that has nearly disappeared now.

Fortunately, the FrSky receivers are inexpensive compared to receivers when you were last involved in RC.

Servos can have a remarkably long life. I have some from 1979 that I only recently retired. Of course they do eventually wear out if used a lot.

One thing to recognize is that older servos were typically designed to operate on four NiCd cells, nominally 4.8v and may not be able to handle five cells, nominally 6.0v but about 7.0v initially. So check the specifications if considering use of a five cell pack. If rated for nominal 6 volts they will be fine with a five cell pack.

As for digital vs analog, normally there's no cause for concern -- just plug in and use. The only thing to watch out for is that analog servos may burn out if used with the radio in high speed mode. You can read about this in the receiver instructions. The default settings will be no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scram

Post by Scram »

Steven4HIM wrote:Thank you for getting back to me rdeanchurch. I honestly am so new at this that I am not 100%. I have the Taranis hooked up to the USB via my iMac. (I'm assuming the 3 finger salute is this method being I have to push the 2 trim buttons inward and turn it on at the same time). I downloaded the 2.0.17 Companion and when I clicked write firmware to the Taranis, The Companion software said it was not compatible.
I have been exactly here although with a European Taranis Plus.

First, when you open Companion, select "Settings" and Settings...... on the menu bar.
Then for Radio Type select Taranis Plus
Check any build options you may want,
Check Append firmware version (usefull to ID the firmware) and "Offer to write firmware to Tx after download"
Select preferred Stick mode and channel order, then hit OK.
Hit the Download Icon and when it asks if you want to check the compatibility, un-check the tick box.
Should install OK then. Worked for me anyway :?:
Steven4HIM

Post by Steven4HIM »

Daedalus66 wrote:
Steven4HIM wrote:

I may have misled you about the salability of your old receivers as I assumed they were 2.4 units from a few years ago. All radios are "RF" by definition, so what you probably meant was "FM", often used (rather misleadingly) to refer to the old 72 MHz equipment that has nearly disappeared now.

Fortunately, the FrSky receivers are inexpensive compared to receivers when you were last involved in RC.

Servos can have a remarkably long life. I have some from 1979 that I only recently retired. Of course they do eventually wear out if used a lot.

One thing to recognize is that older servos were typically designed to operate on four NiCd cells, nominally 4.8v and may not be able to handle five cells, nominally 6.0v but about 7.0v initially. So check the specifications if considering use of a five cell pack. If rated for nominal 6 volts they will be fine with a five cell pack.

As for digital vs analog, normally there's no cause for concern -- just plug in and use. The only thing to watch out for is that analog servos may burn out if used with the radio in high speed mode. You can read about this in the receiver instructions. The default settings will be no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your exactly right, I meant FM. After I posted it later that night, my brain fog cleared and I was like, darn I meant FM. Ha ha. Thank you for catching that and for the advice. :D

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

The GI for your freedom.

Guns have 2 enemies:
1. Rust
2. Politicians
Steven4HIM

Post by Steven4HIM »

Scram wrote:
Steven4HIM wrote:Thank you for getting back to me rdeanchurch. I honestly am so new at this that I am not 100%. I have the Taranis hooked up to the USB via my iMac. (I'm assuming the 3 finger salute is this method being I have to push the 2 trim buttons inward and turn it on at the same time). I downloaded the 2.0.17 Companion and when I clicked write firmware to the Taranis, The Companion software said it was not compatible.
I have been exactly here although with a European Taranis Plus.

First, when you open Companion, select "Settings" and Settings...... on the menu bar.
Then for Radio Type select Taranis Plus
Check any build options you may want,
Check Append firmware version (usefull to ID the firmware) and "Offer to write firmware to Tx after download"
Select preferred Stick mode and channel order, then hit OK.
Hit the Download Icon and when it asks if you want to check the compatibility, un-check the tick box.
Should install OK then. Worked for me anyway :?:

Thank you, I will try this tonight, hope it works.

1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

The GI for your freedom.

Guns have 2 enemies:
1. Rust
2. Politicians

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”