Turnigy 9xr Pro, XJT, X4R begginer questions

ersky9xr is the port of the er9x firmware to the 9XRPRO radio.
Maara

Turnigy 9xr Pro, XJT, X4R begginer questions

Post by Maara »

Hi all,

I am building my very first quad and I will be using 9XR pro (ersky9xr 217) with FrSky XJT and X4R
I thought the hw part of the project will be the hardest one but now it seems that the bigger problem will be the radio so I'd like to ask some of the advanced users for a small help..... :-)

My biggest concern is the the Telemetry - I know that the x4r is after a small mod able to get the telemetry data from Naze32 and pass them to the transmitter but this is the point where I am getting lost - after searching and searching, I found some old posts saying that its not possible or that I need some mod or whatever but all seemed to be outdated.
So the question is - is there any chance to get the telemetry data from XJT to the 9XR Pro? - Do I need some mod or any extra hw? How to set it up?

How do I bind the XJT to X4R so I can push all 16 channels to the sbus? - Any special steps and setups on the radio are needed?

Thanks!!!
Last edited by Maara on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Turnigy 9xr Pro, XJT, X4R begginer questions

Post by MikeB »

There are good manuals for the 9XR-PRO, see here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5575.

There was a problem relating to using the XJT in the 9XR-PRO initially, due to a lack of agreement between HK and FrSky. This means the firmware shipped with the 9XR-PRO doesn't support the XJT fully. If you update the firmware (ersky9x), then you will have full functionality.

The manuals decribe how to do the update.

An easy way to download the required files is to first install eepskye (installed as part of eepe). For windows, go here: http://code.google.com/p/eepe/source/br ... nstall.zip, right click on "view raw file" and select "save as". Unzip the .exe in the file and install eepe and eepskye.
eepskye is installed in the same folder as eepe.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Maara

Post by Maara »

Hi Mike

Thanks for your response!
Does that mean that the PRO running ersky9xr is able to natively talk to XJT or still need to do some soldering or whatever?

Cheers!
Marek
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No soldering needed.
After updating the firmware the PRO 100% supports the XJT.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Maara

Post by Maara »

jhsa wrote:No soldering needed.
After updating the firmware the PRO 100% supports the XJT.

João
In that case its absolutely sweet!!! :-))

ejo60

Post by ejo60 »

I got the XJT / X8R combination now to work and forward the telemetry to the TX9R pro running v.110-mike ersky9x-r2176 revb-x. My gripe is that the documentation is fragmented and that I couldn't get telemetry to work. Simply nothing was displayed on the tx9r while it should at least give me a TSSI and a RSSI (the units are probably in dbm, is this correct?). The set-up is that a FrSky variometer sensor is connected to the s-port of the x8r, and that a futaba data cable goes from the XJT unit to the tx9r pro (I did not like these internal patches, so I went for the data cable). But still this does not give you anything under the telemetry display because of two reasons:

1) the X8R should be in d8 mode, the description is again incomplete IMHO. The procedure is: during binding you connect the signal pins of channel 7 and 8 on the x8r with a jumper, push the f/s button on the transmitter, set the left dip switch (1) on the XJT unit, and unset the second dip switch (2) (this is the factory default). While you push the transmitter f/s button you turn the transmitter on and it goes in binding mode. This result in a beeping transmitter. Now go to the receiver and turn it on with signal pins 7 and 8 connected with a jumper. Leave it like this for a while and turn everything off. Then remove the jumper between 7 and 8 on the x8r receiver (else it doesn't work), and turn everything on again. In this way you get a d8 telemetry link between the XJT and the X8R. The receiver LED should be faint green, in d16 it is bright green.

2) The next thing that nobody tells you is: on the transmitter you need to configure a frhub / met UsrProto, and FrSky com port should really be 2 (it differs from the default), invert com 1 should be off, com2 baud rate is 9600 baud, and the rest I did not change.

After both steps the altitude, RSSI, TSSI and a RTC can be displayed on a user configurable screen (there are 2). And voila, telemetry runs. I understand that it is difficult to write one complete manual for this all because of the different hardware components and open software that can be used. I've read several manuals and wiki pages, but it took me a while before I understood how to get it to work. Images of the relevant screens are attached. It is complicated because FrSky has a s-port sensor set-up and an analog (A1/A2) sensor set-up which I don't use. The variometer sensor is the first FrSky gadget I got, next will be a zaggometry kit to get the DJI NAZA V2 output into the telemetry stream.

All comments are welcomed, in particular when they explain what we see on these screenshots.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I can't work out exactly which revision of ersky9x you are running. The important line on the "VERSION" screen is:
SVN: ersky9x-r204.
What are the three digits at the end of the line.
Due to a lack of agreement between HK and FrSky, the original firmware couldn't support the XJT directly. Subsequently, they reached an agreement and later revisions of the firmware fully support the XJT.

I would recommend updating the firmware to the latest revision (r218).
Then you can use the PXX protocol to the XJT and it will also use the SPort connection (internal) on COM1. You will be able to use D16 mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you read the manuals from here: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5575#p79483?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ejo60

Post by ejo60 »

It is:

vers v.110-mike
date 11.04.2015
time 22:43:42
svn: ersky9x-r217
mod revb-x
ejo60

Post by ejo60 »

this page currently returns no information: http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwiki/ ... _Telemetry
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've never seen that site, and I have no idea who runs it.

Since you have r217 installed, you have full support for the XJT module. The hardware supports the telemetry connection on the bottom pin of the module connector.

So, put both switches on the back of the XJT down, you won't need the external cable to the futaba socket.
On the protocol menu, select PXX, and D16.
On the telemtry menu select COM1 and no inversion.
Bind the receiver, there is a BIND option on the protocol menu.

All should now work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ejo60

Post by ejo60 »

It works as Mike says, here are the relevant screens that have changed, no futaba data cable is necessary.

Brilliant! TSSI has been replaced by SWR in the D16 mode, so I replaced it by a vertical speed from the variometer.
ejo60

Post by ejo60 »

BTW: The eflightwiki page was the reference in the manual to the FrSky telemetry set-up.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

ejo60 wrote:this page currently returns no information: http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwiki/ ... _Telemetry
That site was an excellent source of information on D-protocol telemetry but disappeared a couple of months ago.
ejo60

Post by ejo60 »

MikeB wrote:I can't work out exactly which revision of ersky9x you are running. The important line on the "VERSION" screen is:
SVN: ersky9x-r204.
What are the three digits at the end of the line.
Due to a lack of agreement between HK and FrSky, the original firmware couldn't support the XJT directly. Subsequently, they reached an agreement and later revisions of the firmware fully support the XJT.

I would recommend updating the firmware to the latest revision (r218).
Then you can use the PXX protocol to the XJT and it will also use the SPort connection (internal) on COM1. You will be able to use D16 mode.

Mike.
This page https://code.google.com/p/ersky9x/source/list suggests that r217 is the lastest version.
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

first:
Same Problem
XJT-Modul at 9XRPro but with openTx V2.12

how to get the XJT with Telemetry at LCD working with 9XRPro

second:
and I have Flysky HF-Mdule with PPM too
Protokoll: 8 ch 22,5m 300us +

so I need to select both Protokolls for
XJT D16 D8
and for PPM

but there are not both XJT and PPM possible

third
what about DSM2 Protokoll?
Possible too?
ejo60

Post by ejo60 »

Helle wrote:Hy,

first:
Same Problem
XJT-Modul at 9XRPro but with openTx V2.12

how to get the XJT with Telemetry at LCD working with 9XRPro

second:
and I have Flysky HF-Mdule with PPM too
Protokoll: 8 ch 22,5m 300us +

so I need to select both Protokolls for
XJT D16 D8
and for PPM

but there are not both XJT and PPM possible

third
what about DSM2 Protokoll?
Possible too?
I'm not sure which FrSky receiver you've got, if it runs in D8 mode, then set the dip switches on the XJT transmitter module (1 on, 2 off) and use a futaba data cable. This worked for me with PPM. The DSM2 protocol is for spectrum hardware I believe.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Dsm2 has sub menu for hack module from DX4e, DX5e, DX6i and MP4DSM. Also for Orange Internal Telemetry module.
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

it's a XJT and some X8R, X6R Receiver with a S-Port

how get to work Telemetry direct to X9RPro with a openTx V2.12
ejo60

Post by ejo60 »

Helle wrote:Hy,

it's a XJT and some X8R, X6R Receiver with a S-Port

how get to work Telemetry direct to X9RPro with a openTx V2.12
The X6R is very similar to the X8R except that the number of channels is different, it should not be the issue I think. But your opentx configuration may certainly be the problem. The way I read this in https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/498 it seems to be is not possible with openTX, so, flash back to the turnigy stock firmware ersky9x(r). Please check this in a different thread.
ejo60

Post by ejo60 »

Telemetry logging works fine now, r217 runs stable, I've put logging on/off under the gear switch on the turnigy. Demo of flight with telemetry
Maara

Post by Maara »

How fast is the logging?

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The logging is done every 1 or 2 seconds, chosen in the telemetry menu. I have just added a 0.5 second option, but for that you will need to flash a test version of the firmware as it is not released yet.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jj604

Post by jj604 »

The last version of the wiki is available here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150523051 ... _Telemetry

It is a thorough summary of pre-X series telemetry and FrSky receivers with lots of good practical advice but was never updated after SPort arrived.
Daedalus66 wrote:
ejo60 wrote:this page currently returns no information: http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwiki/ ... _Telemetry
That site was an excellent source of information on D-protocol telemetry but disappeared a couple of months ago.
schliden

Post by schliden »

Hi All,

New here, looking for a little help. Spent a couple of days browsing around but can't find answers to a couple of questions.

I have a 9XR Pro running ersky9xr_rom_r218 with FrSky XJT/X8R + smartport Voltage sensor.

I initially purchased and configured using external cable via futaba port.

I have subsequently succeeded in getting the telemetry working without the use of the external cable, but in the process seem to have lost: TSSI

I do now see a Swr on the bottom RHS of the telemetry screens but it does not seem to be working.

I would also like to know if it is possible to get a RX Voltage figure (RxV does not seem to display anything)

Finally, is there a reference to the meaning of the various telemetry values that are available to be configured in the custom displays ?

For example, I am not sure what: A1=, A2=, Hdg, Gvr1-7, T1=, etc mean (some of them make sense but others... guesses)

TIA
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The XJT does not send TSSI. It sends SWR instead, as you have already noticed.. :)

As for what the telemetry values mean, please read the er9x manual.. Er9x is a light version of ersky9x but the basics are the same.. A manual for ersky9x is being written..

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
schliden

Post by schliden »

Thanks João,

But, I don't seem to be getting any SWR readings at all ?

I will read the manual.. cheers
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A 'good' value for the SWR is 0, so this is why you might think you are not seeing a reading.
You can try wrapping you hand around the module antenna to see if you can make the SWR read a value other than 0.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
schliden

Post by schliden »

Of course... Ding... :idea:

Any ideas on why the RxV does not seem to display anything.

From what I read (in the manual) FrSky X8R receivers only have only one analog input, "A1", which is connected internally to measure the voltage of the receiver power supply.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Beacuse the Rx voltage is just an analog value, like A1 and A2, it needs to be scaled from a raw value to a voltage.
Got to the Telemetry Menu and go down to the second 'page'. There you will find the setting for Rx Voltage. To start with change this to 13.2V. The value at the right of the display is the actual resulting voltage. You adjust the 13.2 to get the displayed value to match a measured value.
The analog inputs have a 4 to 1 divider on them, and the maximum voltage internally is 3.3V. This is where the 13.2 comes from, 4 time 3.3.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “ersky9xr”