9xr and e-flite apprentice safe rx

Hardware Support for the 9XR
imaduck1

9xr and e-flite apprentice safe rx

Post by imaduck1 »

hi guys please accept my apologies in advance but I'm new to turnigy 9xr i was using my dx5e with out problems but i need someone with patience to guide me step by step to set this up manually in mixes page so i have the 3 position switch with beginner/intermediate/advance and the recovery switch
regards andy

Daedalus66

Re: 9xr and e-flite apprentice safe rx

Post by Daedalus66 »

Here are the essentials for setting up an open source firmware transmitter to fly the BNF models. This applies to 9x, 9XR, 9XR Pro and Taranis. The details of how to do it will vary between transmitters and firmwares but what you need to do in each case is to emulate a Spektrum DX5e, which virtually all these models are designed to use. I save a great deal of effort by using this emulation as a template, copying it when needed and changing the name to that of the model.

Settings

1. The channel order MUST be set to TAER to match the Spektrum order. In particular, throttle is always on channel 1.

2. All channels MUST be set to 80% travel limits. Set all mix weights to 100% and limit throw to 80% by using the servos (limits) page.

3. Aileron and Rudder should be reversed to match Spektrum control directions. Throttle and elevator should work correctly if not reversed.

4. Channel 5 should be set up on a three position switch. This is needed if you fly models with some AS3X technology, such as the UMX AS3Xtra. Note that you may have to reverse direction. How exactly you do this depends on which firmware version you are using. (Maybe someone with the original 9XR firmware can chime in here.)

5. Channel 6 should be set up on a two position momentary switch giving -80 for off and +80 for on. This will serve as the panic button for a SAFE technology model, RTH button for a QX2, etc. Note that you may have to reverse direction.

6. The protocol setting for the Orange module MUST be PPM. The rest of the RF settings can be default.

7. Setup D/R at 100% and 70% to match the DX5e. You may want to adjust later but this is a good starting point. You may also want to add 20% or so expo.

Binding

To bind the model to the transmitter, once set up as above, insert the bind plug into the receiver and plug in the model with transmitter off. Wait till the light on the receiver flashes rapidly.

Move the transmitter about 2m away and make sure throttle is full low.

Press and hold the module bind button and turn on the Tx. Still holding the button, make sure there are no alerts and wait for a long beep from the module. You should very soon see a change in the flashing of the receiver - release the button. The light should go solid indicating bind. Everything should work. If not, turn everything off and start again.

If the receiver binds but the motor won't start, try changing the lower limit for channel 1 only to -90%. This is like setting throttle trim to low on the DX5e.

Once bound, normal link-ups require turning the transmitter on first, wait five seconds, then plug in the model. Linking may take a few seconds. Note that some models require you to let the model sit still for a few seconds while the AS3X initializes. Bind won't complete till that happens. Nor will bind happen if the throttle is not in low.

Be sure to note whether the module is flashing when the model is bound. No flashing means DSM2 22ms, the standard for older UMX models, while for newer ones you can expect to see two flashes repeatedly, indicating DSMX 22ms (or maybe three flashes for DSMX 11ms). If you have models that show different flashing, you will have to change the module manually each time by pressing the bind button three times in quick succession one or more times to get to the correct mode. See the module instructions.

I hope this helps. It defines exactly what you need to do. How you do it may vary according to firmware. Take a look at the manual relevant to yours.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Regarding how to set the mixes for channels 5 and 6, here's a possibility for the Mixers page:

CH5[tab=30][tab=30]100 HALF ID0
[tab=30][tab=30]0 HALF ID1
[tab=30][tab=30]-100 HALF ID2
CH6[tab=30][tab=30]100 FULL TRN

This will cause the three-position switch to control the SAFE mode (beginner, intermediate, advanced) and the trainer switch to function as the panic (recovery) button.

Don't forget to set all six channels to 80% limits (on the Limits or Servos page)

You may have to reverse these channels to get correct operation. If you have upgraded the firmware, that will be on the limits page, if not there may be a separate Reversing page.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Formatting didn't work very well but I hope it will be clear when you go to the screen on the Tx.
pmes

Post by pmes »

Does anyone have an idea as to why my 9XR Pro will bind with my safe rx (EFLR310013) but not control it? I've tried a number of combinations and found many helpful posts like this, but can't get it to work. I can get it to bind and control a Spektrum AR7010 after getting all the limits and such set correctly. I have a DM9 Spektrum module running the stock firmware.
pmviana

Post by pmviana »

Hi Daedalus66,

thank you very much for your post - excellent info

I followed your instructions in two different transmitters and in both I've the same problem: insufficient and inconsistent throttle - you can see the video here: https://goo.gl/photos/44t5yxz14zymPGer5

by the way the motor sounds is enough to understand something is wrong :-(

I've the same problem in both transmitters: Turnigy 9x and 9RX running ER9X and ER9XSky using and OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 v1.2 with an Horizon Hobby AS3X P51D UMX.

Everything else works very well, but the throttle.

The batteries are 2S Lipos with 280mah from e-flite and are full charged.

I know the motor can go full throttle because sometimes if I disconnect the radio before the plane the motor revs up for a few seconds. (strange)

Do you have any suggestion before I start opening the plane and voiding warranties? :-)

Best regards,
Pedro Viana

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That's not a transmitter problem, it has to do with the ESC and/or motor and/or battery. Start with the battery, as it sounds like the motor is heading for full speed when the current draw reaches a critical level and the ESC cuts out.
pmviana

Post by pmviana »

I've tried 2 different fully charged batteries with the same results, or both are damaged or is an ESC problem - but if it is an ESC problem how do you explain this: "I know the motor can go full throttle because sometimes if I disconnect the radio before the plane the motor revs up for a few seconds. (strange)"?

someone suggested it could be a binding problem by stting the wrong DSMX - I'm binding in Auto mode: with using the OrangeRX DSMX DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Transmitter Module V1.2 (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-ds ... tore=en_us)

what do you think?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I was wrong. The problem is a well known one with the Orange module, which is not properly compatible with the UMX receivers. I was never able to resolve it and went instead to a Spektrum module hacked from an old DX5e. That did the trick.

The Orange module is fine with most stand-alone receivers, but has problems with the throttle channel of UMX models, including multirotors.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, it seems that the orange model can be flashed with the "MultiProtocol" firmware, and then it seems to work with all models??

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

That's correct. I have one of the Orange v1.2 modules flashed to Multiprotocol and it works well with all the receivers I have tested, including those in UMX models. Range is very good.
For details, see:
viewtopic.php?t=8753
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Thanks for posting the link Nigel. I am quite busy at the moment and didn't have time to search for it.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
pmviana

Post by pmviana »

Hi,

I've successfully binded the transmitter using DSMX mode instead of auto ao now the throttle is working well :-D Andre from Flitetest thanks for the great tip! (https://www.flitetest.com/articles/sett ... range-dsmx)

... in between I must have changed something and the rest of the controls are little unresponsive. Nothing some fine tunning will not solve.

I wil give a look to the multiprotocol thing also.

Best regards,
Pedro Viana
Fulvietto

Post by Fulvietto »

pmes wrote: Wed May 06, 2015 6:52 am Does anyone have an idea as to why my 9XR Pro will bind with my safe rx (EFLR310013) but not control it? I've tried a number of combinations and found many helpful posts like this, but can't get it to work. I can get it to bind and control a Spektrum AR7010 after getting all the limits and such set correctly. I have a DM9 Spektrum module running the stock firmware.
Have you solved the issue. I have the same trouble with my Taranis and EFLR310013....
Thanks
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The EFlite SAFE receiver simply does not work with the DM9. This is well established and admitted by Spektrum. They said a couple of years ago that they were looking into the issue, but nothing came of it. The same problem exists with the Lemon Stabilizer PLUS (but not with the regular Lemon Stab). I’ve tested this myself and not found any way around it.
I’ve had success using an Orange module flashed with the MultiProtocol and a friend has used the 4in1 module from Banggood.

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”