Turnigy 9XR General

Hardware Support for the 9XR
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9XR General

Post by dvogonen »

I have no information about the voltage regulator, but the radio sure works with 2-cell LiPos. It is actually the only thing I have used this far. I have flown a couple of hours in temperatures below - 10 C and there have been no power issues, only buttons that keep sticking in the cold. But that is another subject.

dvogonen

Re: Turnigy 9XR General

Post by dvogonen »

I have prepared a short video that describes why the Menu and Exit buttons stick in low temperatures.
One solution is to remove the glass that covers the LCD and manipulate it. The glass is however held in by double sided tape and I worry about destroying the glass in the process.
I therefore describe an alternative solution that only requires a screwdriver, a file and some patience.

The video is found here:
http://youtu.be/ZV7Z0pdsiSs
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

good video and a quality fix for the issue. Plus I like hearing the voice of the people I see on here all the time :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I agree, berry good video and modification. I meant "very, not berry"
Darn iPod spell correct.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Wimh

Post by Wimh »

rperkins wrote:good video and a quality fix for the issue.
yes, reminds me of the "recent" 8-) cooking program hype ... Twenty minutes @ -...
Wim
Belgium

kaos

Post by kaos »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, Can't help. My fix with that is 'DON'T FLY AT -20 DEGREE C'
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I am a tropical person. My cells freeze up at 37 F, let alone fly. I don't even want to go out when it is below 40 F. :mrgreen:
My fingers will freeze up before that button freeze up. :mrgreen:

enough fun. that is a good fix. ;)
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

I would like to be able to apply that fix, but this is sadly the view from my office:
uploadfromtaptalk1358329186900.jpg
And it looks like that far to many days of the year not to fly in the white stuff. On a positive note the snow has a nice buffering effect when you land vertically (a frequent occurrence for me).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

+1 :(
This is one of the reasons that makes me homesick :?
Attachments
160120132256.jpg
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

Yet another quality issue has been noted with the 9XR. At least three users on RCGroups (one of them being me) reports that the throttle stick registers slightly more extreme values in the corners than in the middle. In practice this makes the throttle idle alarm always go off when the radio is turned on, even if the throttle is turned off :-(

I have registered a request against open9x to make the alarm slightly less sensitive.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

dvogonen wrote:Yet another quality issue has been noted with the 9XR. At least three users on RCGroups (one of them being me) reports that the throttle stick registers slightly more extreme values in the corners than in the middle. In practice this makes the throttle idle alarm always go off when the radio is turned on, even if the throttle is turned off :-(

I have registered a request against open9x to make the alarm slightly less sensitive.
Aww. That explains why my throttle alarm was always triggering despite being calibrated. I just turned off the alarm.
Helle

TH9XR Pin 41,42,43 Vias at U6 for Telemetry ???

Post by Helle »

Hy,

I have only pictures from the top and the bottom side of the PCB of the TH9XR but no 9XR for myself

But I think there are the Pins 41,42,43 of the AT64 at the top-side via Vias at the bottum side connected to U6 Pin 9,10,11

So it could be more simple for Mod the Telemetry for Frsky, use the Vias to solder

load and zoom both picture, look at my red rectangels and compare yourself

Could anyone test this?

hope i am not wrong

does anyone have pictures around U6 top and bottom-side of the PCB

Helle
Attachments
9xr_main_pcb_bottom_001.jpg
9xr_main_pcb Detail Top001.jpg
Wimh

Post by Wimh »

dvogonen wrote:I would like to be able to apply that fix, but this is sadly the view from my office:

And it looks like that far to many days of the year not to fly in the white stuff. On a positive note the snow has a nice buffering effect when you land vertically (a frequent occurrence for me).
Hey, an office view thread... :

A bit more on topic @ Helle: that is what I meant when seeing the new board for the first time, it looks as if the telemetry mod could be easier if it works that way.... Unfortunately my radio has not arrived yet either, so I am of no help at this time...
Attachments
Snow as seen from my desk....
Snow as seen from my desk....
Wim
Belgium
mhotar

Re: TH9XR Pin 41,42,43 Vias at U6 for Telemetry ???

Post by mhotar »

Helle wrote:Hy,

I have only pictures from the top and the bottom side of the PCB of the TH9XR but no 9XR for myself
But I think there are the Pins 41,42,43 of the AT64 at the top-side via Vias at the bottum side connected to U6 Pin 9,10,11
So it could be more simple for Mod the Telemetry for Frsky, use the Vias to solder
load and zoom both picture, look at my red rectangels and compare yourself
Could anyone test this?
hope i am not wrong
does anyone have pictures around U6 top and bottom-side of the PCB
Helle
You are right!
U6 is MUX/DEMUX 1to 8, these pins 41,42,43 are used as A,B,C addresses , X from mux is going to connect to BAT measuring analog input, where Vbat voltage is already connected to one of mux inputs, but R73/R27 is not set to do so. So U6 is useless as is. It can be used to do telemetry mod differently, or to add two more analog/digital inputs easily, because two pins are routed to connectors on the sides of the board. All of this require firmware support :(
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

The pins used for multiplexer control are those reported in the photo.
Pin 43 is free (can be used for haptic in the old way)
IMG_0197.JPG
The numbers in yellow are 14051 pins so A B C
I'm preparing the MB with a Atmega 128 :)

Thinking about telemetry mod, probably the better way will be a new telemetrez board.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Romolo,
I was afraid to flip the LCD flat cable lever on the mb connector. How do you unlock it? It looks different then the 9x boards?
SM

Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

You need to flip it up, lifting it.

Yes is different from 9x one
IMG_0198.JPG
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Great picture, I thought that was the way but thought I'd wait for a brave person to go first!
Thank you do much.

About the telemetry mod. It looks easier to cut the trace at the multiplexer pins and tack solder there then at the m64 pins. Any thoughts?
SM

Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

For telemetry: a possibility is to remap AIL and THR switches on the multiplexer and read them analogically
mhotar

Post by mhotar »

Romolo wrote:For telemetry: a possibility is to remap AIL and THR switches on the multiplexer and read them analogically
Not a bad idea. Can Atmega chip have puul-up resistor switched on also on the analog-mode input pin?
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

no... but pulling up two switches is easy, and furthermore we can substitute them with three pos switches...
Promix

Post by Promix »

Have to say I resold my 9XR !! I was too disappointed about the quality at all :(
- Bad gimbals feeling, impossible to calibrate endpoints satisfy like old 9x
- Buttons are an imposition ! :evil:
- No module antenna protection support
- Plastic looks cheesy
and much more.

Only good thing - display is covered with real glass !

Well, it`s cheap but still not worth the money :shock:

Will buy another good old trusty rusty TH9X ;)
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

How much room is there inside the case for mods? Is there room for a Frsky DHT and what you would need for the telemetry mod?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Promix, you could also wait for the frsky radios.. the X9D might come out soon.. ;)

I'm more interested on the X12D.. I'm starting to save 1€ a day.. when it comes out I will have most of the money :D :mrgreen:
Yeah I know, that means I think it will take long till it comes out ;) but the x9D has to come out first so, I think the X12D will be available quite late this year..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Promix wrote:Have to say I resold my 9XR !! I was too disappointed about the quality at all :(
- Bad gimbals feeling, impossible to calibrate endpoints satisfy like old 9x
- Buttons are an imposition ! :evil:
- No module antenna protection support
- Plastic looks cheesy
and much more.

Only good thing - display is covered with real glass !

Well, it`s cheap but still not worth the money :shock:

Will buy another good old trusty rusty TH9X ;)
I think it will improve... We are all beta testing it for them!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
abletowinginc

Post by abletowinginc »

jhsa wrote:+1 :(
This is one of the reasons that makes me homesick :?
i know this old post but was reading through and saw this . i live in florida have my whole 38 years of existence. we have been talking about moving to north carolina in the higher elevations would love to wake to this in the winters
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

My 9XR arrived today. Opened her up, had a look and then logged on here to find images from others, already done so.

Suffice to say, the G9X boards will not fit this radio.

First impressions of the radio were, "Nice." The LCD seems good. More clear than the previous models in artificial light and still very clear out in sunlight.

The only two issues I have with the radio is the departure from the body shape around the Throttle Hold and Trainer switches, where there is now a big lump of plastic getting in the way of your hands, making those switches even more difficult to access than previously. The other is the soft, squishy, semi-non-responsive push button switches.

Otherwise, all the extra stuff and general look and feel seems good to me. Oh and, the switches and pots are smoother, seemingly higher quality than previously.

The price is higher of course and I've not even tried to find a suitable connector to make use of the internal antenna, let alone actually installed a module and tested the radio "on air". But I'm sure it works.

Over all, I don't think the ergonomics of this radio warrants the development of an upgrade board for it. She sure is pretty, but a little too awkward in practical use, due to the departure from the long tested rear body shape of most all other radios. Pity.

Gruvin
dvogonen

modifying 9xr stick mode

Post by dvogonen »

There have been a lot of talk about the possibility to switch between stick mode 1 and 2. It has been claimed that this requires cutting wires and resoldering them. This is however not the case. Neither do you need to strip down the gimbal assemblies completely and rebuild them.
A had a look at the gimbals and made a video that describes in detail the easiest way how to change between stick mode 1 and 2.
It is a bit more complicated than on a 9x, but certainly doable for almost anyone:
http://youtu.be/3oic2bccuaY
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Right...

Today I have done the micro switch mod that Brent came up with.

This essentially involves soldering some micro pcb push switches to the 9XR main board. Took longer to take the tx apart than to actually do the mod!!

I have only done the menu, exit and navigation buttons - was not bothered to take the rest apart for the trim buttons.

General feeling.

This is 100% essential. HK MUST do this as standard.

Suddenly the TX becomes usable. Quite how they let it out without this basic function working.. I dont know.

But all is now wonderful :-)

Rob
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Good to know. I still wait for mine again blocked somewhere in a post office. A link for the push buttons to buy?
Bertrand.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Brents post on 'the other' site.

http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/tactile-swi ... -t376.html

Rob

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”