Turnigy 9XR General

Hardware Support for the 9XR
Kilrah

Re: Turnigy 9XR

Post by Kilrah »

Don't forget that anybody can upload files there, and most are uploaded by random guys (on popular products it often becomes a mess with dozens of more or less relevant files). AFAIK HK had initially put a PDF there. They were asked to provide the source, so they removed it and added the (corrected) .doc. But then I saw comments from people moaning that they didn't have anything to open the .doc, so some guy probably reuploaded the older PDF.

EDIT: Surprisingly the files have version numbers, so I just uploaded a PDF for V2.1.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The source has now been posted on http://www.turnigy9xr.com/
Direct link: http://turnigy9xr.com/source/tgy-9XRv1-1.rar

The archive still has the whole er9x svn directory contents, including er9x binaries and changelog, apparently from r762 / May 14th.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Good to see the manual/doc now has a half decent credit in it.
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

Very few differences, only splash, templates and the reverse menu...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Now we have to wait for them sending people here for support and new features cos no one at their forum is able to do it.. ;)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Regardless of the origin of the question, I owe so much to this community that I'll try to answer all 9xr questions from noobs. But wondering if there needs to be a separate 9XR area that would attract the 9XR NOOBS right from the start. It may be redundant - but may help containerize some of the potential concerns voiced above.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Scott, I see your point, but The 9XR will most likely be equal to the 9x.. the fw will be exactly the same..
If some people don't know how to behave, all we can do is ask them politely to change behaviour. It happened in the past and somehow it worked..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Still think we need a blue flashing light to attract the bugs to one place where they are more likely to learn the values of the community and get what will be common and repeated questions answers or referred to the proper portions of the larger forum.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Agreed.

Maybe a newcomers section. Will have a think :)

Rob
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Didn't we have an ongoing discussion about improving the forum sections that got kinda forgotten at some point?

Sent via mobile
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Yup.. Been an issue of time to do it!

On my list... :)
Wormboymat

Post by Wormboymat »

So is this right?

HK has used the outdated bits out of the 9x (someone elses radio to start with), used the ER9X FW,wrapped it in a bit of plastic bling and is selling it as a new radio? Sounds like HK to me.

At least they have produced a radio that you can still hack, flash and update without needing to start from scratch.
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9XR

Post by dvogonen »

Yes basically.
But don't be too harsh on them. The new radio costs about the same as the older one and the hardware is said to be much better and you don't have to rip it apart to install the two most vital modifications; backlight and a programming contact.
HeliGijs

Post by HeliGijs »

I agree to that! For most people, The 9x is a decent, feature rich radio with (thanks to the ER9X firmware) very many options for setting up great control of your model. Even telemetry is possible, and that on a radio of 50 bucks!

The 9xr is cheaper than the original 9x, especially if you have to buy the backlight, programmer, resistors and transistors and even LiFE cableling etc

Stop moaning and keep on going like you were used to.

Great Value for money!
cre8tiveleo

Post by cre8tiveleo »

HeliGijs wrote: ...and that on a radio of 50 bucks!...
Hmmm... add up all the parts you need to get your radio to where you wan it to be. :o
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Hey Leo, nice to see you here :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

HeliGijs wrote:I agree to that! For most people, The 9x is a decent, feature rich radio with (thanks to the ER9X firmware) very many options for setting up great control of your model. Even telemetry is possible, and that on a radio of 50 bucks!

The 9xr is cheaper than the original 9x, especially if you have to buy the backlight, programmer, resistors and transistors and even LiFE cableling etc

Stop moaning and keep on going like you were used to.

Great Value for money!

Grand Theft Auto is good money for the time it takes.
HeliGijs

Post by HeliGijs »

cre8tiveleo wrote:
HeliGijs wrote: ...and that on a radio of 50 bucks!...
Hmmm... add up all the parts you need to get your radio to where you wan it to be. :o
Wouldn't you need them on the 9X?
In my opinion, HK had taken the 9X and thrown in the backlight bits and programmer. Plus They solved the antenna coax issue.
All for $50?

Not bad.

Nothing to do with grand-treft- auto.

And the credits due, are coming along as well.

What i find strange is that such a simple and well documented mod-process ends up in a rush-job on the HK side. They started many months ago with the design and, in the end, where to late for X-mas.

The pressure was on the marketing side I presume because to create the site , the forum and all the video's takes effort but to create the attention (albeit not positive) their getting now is even more difficult.

But attention is attention:)

And when you look at it for us, accept for the late credits, nothing has changed.

Looking forward to the extra bits and pieces HK has up it's sleeve...
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

Radio (no module): $50
Battery (lipo): $15
Option 1. Telemetry module: $54
Option 2. Orange DSM module: $30
Case (optional): $11

So, 'bulk' price is something between $50 to $130 + postage fees (radio+lipo+module to Finland $30 and with carrying case $52). So simple radio without anything additional is $80

And of course if I order something from HK I do add as much goods as possible for the next weight limit of package. Usually that means that more money will be spend even that's not necessarily needed.

It's still cheap but it's not $50. ;)
What goes up, must come down. -Isaac Newton
OpenTX - expanding possibilities
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Spoogy wrote:Radio (no module): $50

So, 'bulk' price is something between $50 to $130 + postage fees (radio+lipo+module to Finland $30 and with carrying case $52). So simple radio without anything additional is $80

And of course if I order something from HK I do add as much goods as possible for the next weight limit of package. Usually that means that more money will be spend even that's not necessarily needed.

And don't forget the 8 channel Receiver they include with the 9x -- but not the 9xr
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Spoogy wrote:Radio (no module): $50

And don't forget the 8 channel Receiver they include with the 9x -- but not the 9xr
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Obviously until I actually have the 9XR in my hot little hands I won't be sure of anything -- but I remember last summer when Anthony made reference to the tremendous amount of money the development of the 9XR was costing HIM.

At lease superficially -- and from a distance -- and without actually looking inside -- I'm having great difficulty seeing where the development money went. It appears (for now) that this is likely to be a CLONE of the FlySKY 9x transmitter with a CLONE of er9x firmware with a CLONE of the manual with a new case design a Futaba port, and a blinding blue LED (won't that be great for night flying -- RED won't dilate the pupils, but does to the max). Where is the development money that "hit him in the back pocket". They avoided having to have it certified as a transmitter by omitting the module -- big cost savings there as well.

Development is what FrSKY is doing with the much anticipated X8D and X12D. Completely new processor -- more EEproom -- SD card -- voice, headphone jack, Even if you don't utilize the built in telemetry.

Development is what went into the Sky9x board -- which is approximately what I'd expected from Hobby King if they spent so much on development. The amazing thing is the Sky9x board and open9x and er9x were all developed for no/little cost at all.

In the long run I wonder if all the hype that Hobby King put into what appears to be a recycled bling box will byte them in the butt in the long run -- because their HYPE is obviously only that -- hyperbole -- no (apparent) substance to it.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to be completely wrong about the 9XR being a non event once I actually have my 9XR in hand. But for now it appears the byline should be "move alone folks, nothing new here".
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Scott Page wrote:At lease superficially -- and from a distance -- and without actually looking inside -- I'm having great difficulty seeing where the development money went.
Actually, while case design and the rest of the mechanics don't do much to add to features, they're what requires the biggest investment.
It's easy to design an electronics board and have it made even in small quantities for relatively cheap, setup costs nowadays have become nearly negligible. Injection molds for plastic parts are a whole other story, and jumps into the tens of thousands instantly.

Now why they decided to keep low-grade electronics that could have easily been improved and decided to spend heaps in "useless" case design (that brings nothing but bling) is a mystery. An answer could be that case costs a lot initially, but then is cheap per piece for big quantities. Better electronics won't be a big initial investment, but will add a significant amount to each unit sold. As HK is about low prices and huge quantities,...

Nevertheless I much prefer FrSky's choice of taking an existing case to save some and putting great electronics in.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

So it finally got released. My thinking is:

If I have already added a programming port and backlight to my 9x, there's very little to move me to the 9XR ?

Yes they bungled the release regarding the GPL. They look like they are making a good faith effort to comply with it.

My experience is hobbyking is very quick to delete posts that they dont like. Hence I dont participate. Expect their new forum for this new product to be handled with the same heavy handedness.

Overall the 9XR is good news because it exposes the abilities we have been utilizing to a broader audience. This forum's base could be grown as it provides unbiased information with honest unrepressed communication. The key is to generate a bridge from their forums to this one by providing additional features and information while not triggering their heavy handed moderation. We need to be complementary , not adversarial . Hopefully this will be possible as the GPL issues continue to be rectified and we differentiate between what the GPL actually requires and our personal feelings on what should have happened.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

The dev teams seem working hard to bridge the gap with HK. Better to work together for the good of all.

I am sure in the long run good will happen. Just need to sort decent working ethics / relations. :)
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Yes I agree things will cool down and get better.

Wondering if they are going to discontinue the 9X ? I expect so. Wonder if a fire sale is upcoming on the 9x.
Would also expect spare parts for the 9X to continue to be in demand, especially parts that are not compatible with the 9XR . Curious about the 'full ball bearing gimbals' and whether they are interchangeable, and/or better than the stock 9x. What is the connector for programming ? I guess I expected the 10 pin or 6 pin. The cover says 12v in a round embossing and avrisp. They should be bundling a programmer with it. Overall it looks like they had a drop dead release date and released what they had at that point. The module and battery fiasco supports this argument. No wonder their licensing requirements fell short. They dont even have all the hadware ready. Didnt keep them from selling out though :)

Have mixed feeling about the internal antenna connection. Should it still be considered a 'JR compatible' module ? . What kind of gain does it provide ? is it really 2 antennas oriented @ 90 degrees ? .

Well all this and more will be forthcoming as I read several of you have ordered the TX. I still got an extra 9x that hasnt been utilized. I got impatient waiting on HK BK last year and bought one off of ebay. No new tx for me :(

Also about these face plates. Wondering if they will eventually allow you a choice or just sell the flashy colors as options. Sorry if this has been covered before
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The good,
Hopefully no more messed up soldering jobs adding a solder in programmer or backlight.
Easier to upgrade to great FW.
Maybe with the hinted tx battery options no more reversed battery to damage their 9x, sometimes the same day they got it.
I've repaired many radios the last 6 months as the 9x became popular. I keep 5 volt and 3.3v SMD regulators, and dmd caps in my stock just to help out club members.

As for the internal antenna,
Well so far we've never had that option so to me sticking out the back has become a normal look, especially with the superior Frsky DJT or DFT module.
The orange DSM has the same look so it fits right in.
If the sticks are better its a plus we've all talked about wanting for $50.
My not available cancelled Hitec sticks alone were costing me $52 to my door.

The bad,
Not giving credit to those that deserve it.
Maybe the handle not having an option to attach a stand to protect the protruding antennas out the back.
Not upgrading the processor.

As the ones we've ordered arrive a really true review will be in order in the hands of those here that have the knowledge to comment and if warranted , make improvements.

The real deal will be when Frsky finally releases intel on their up and coming radio. It of course will cost more then buying a HK or FlySky 9x and doing your own mods, but I'm sure for many technically challenged it's going to be a real bargain.
I'm sure most of us here will own one of those as well.
My impression of most of the forum users here enjoy the technology, telemetry, and freedom from hard coded systems that can't be changed.
If I'm correct we'll buy it, try it. and pass it on for the next new system.
I'm sure Rob will have a lot of posts in the for sale topic this new year.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think many people will still keep their 9x's ;)
I will :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I have 5 total, two with sky b and c boards. Others have many 9x conversions. I believe some will downsize to try newer radios on the market.
A lot of $ sitting there if not used.
It's fun to have that new tx smell.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
gbmarsh

Post by gbmarsh »

ShowMaster wrote: It's fun to have that new tx smell.
What's that.... burnt circuits and wires? :lol:

Geoff

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”