Strange problem with 9XR in Trainer mode

Hardware Support for the 9XR
trivejb

Strange problem with 9XR in Trainer mode

Post by trivejb »

I have just purchased a Turnigy 9XR and trying to set it up as instructor with my 9X/er9X. With the trainer SW in the normal position the TX operates the plane and everything functions normally. Now what is strange, even thought I do not have the trainer cord pluged into the 9XR (instructor), that when I toggle the trainer switch the motor will go to about 70%. I have followed all videos and instructions and feel everything is setup correctly but either I have a firmware/hardware problem or there is some setting I have overlooked.

Also when I try connecting the instructor(9XE) and student(9x/er9x) TX with the trainer cord I cannot get any PPM input from the student TX as the CAL values stay at 00, and yes I have removed the RF module from the 9X (student) TX. I can plug earphones into the trainer port of the student and hear a loud buzz that changes slightly when moving controls so it may be possible I have a bad trainer cord and since the 9XR is not getting any PPM and may not know what to do so throttle goes to 70%???

NOTE: since writing above I patched my ear phones onto the end of the trainer cord that would plug into the 9XR and could only hear a very faint buzz… Possibly bad??? Will purchase a new trainer cord tomorrow!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jhsa

Re: Strange problem with 9XR in Trainer mode

Post by jhsa »

yes, try a different cable for a start..
the reason the motor is going to 70% without the trainer cable connected and when you flick the switch is due to the trainer option being active on in the model settings menu.. Like that you will lose control of the aircraft if you turn it on in flight.. When you're not teaching/learning, please turn it off on the menu..

As far as I know Mike is going to implement a PPM detection that will disable the trainer automatically when PPM signal is not present at the trainer port.. That would make it safer.

Actually Mike, That would probably save you some bytes as the menu option wouldn't be needed anymore, right? ;) :D Or am I missing something? ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Your motor is going to 50%. The ppm input defaults to center stick positions, so it is the same as centering all of the controls, including the throttle. Get a new mono audio cable, sounds like that it's the problem.
-Gohst
NI0X

Post by NI0X »

Is there not a way of disabling the Trainermode when there is no PPM Signal?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Should be in the next release of er9x!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

NI0X

Post by NI0X »

I am using OpenTX ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

then no, not yet ;) I'm sure it will be there in a while as it makes things safer :)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
trivejb

Post by trivejb »

Thanks for all the input!... It was the audio cable!!!! How many hours have I spent trying to figure out what I had overlooked or misunderstood!!!!! Knowing that the PPM defaults to center position is definitely helped as I had only guessed at 70%. I heard that there were conflicts in trainer mode between the HK version of er9x as loaded into the 9XR and the version I have in my 9X but all seems to work for now. Trainer setup is really very flexiable and easy to understand once you go through it. The manual was right on! Was thinking about loading the same version of er9x that I have in my 9X into the 9XR but not sure if there is a good reason to do at this point. Any Thoughts?

I do like the idea of disabling the Trainer mode when there is no PPM Signal? Good thought.
Thanks again...
FlyForest

Post by FlyForest »

Dear colleagues, as this post is related to similar topic (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2501&p=85534#p85534) please help in finding a fix. Thanks!

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”