Firmware programmer

Hardware Support for the 9XR
pabs

Firmware programmer

Post by pabs »

Hi all,

I just purchased a 9XR and am waiting for its arrival. I also picked up a FrSky DJT module so I'm excited to put the er9x firmware on the device!

My question is about programming the new firmware. I have a Atmel programmer i use for other electronics projects (http://www.atmel.ca/tools/MATUREAVRISP.aspx) so I'm wondering if i can use that and AVRStudio to program the 9xr. I know the 9xr has an Atmel micro, and they brought out the programming pins, but it seems they are also providing power from the USB to the transmitter because the instructions I've read say to remove the transmitter battery. Can I program the 9XR using the main battery as power? I'm guessing I'll have to make my own adapter cable but I wanted to know if anyone else is doing this.

Also, I the firmware is ".hex" file ... does anyone know how the firmware gets loaded onto the Atmel? Specifically do they use a bootloader on the Atmel?

I'd like to use my existing programmer but if I can't I'll suck it up and buy a the programmer recommended by HK.

-P

gohsthb

Re: Firmware programmer

Post by gohsthb »

You can use eepe with your programmer, just select it from the list under Burn->Configure. I don't have a 9xr, but I don't see why you couldn't try programming with the power on. It will either work or it won't. Let us know how it goes.
-Gohst
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

pabs wrote:I'd like to use my existing programmer but if I can't I'll suck it up and buy a the programmer recommended by HK.
May I suggest that you consider getting one from one of our site members (rperkins) instead, as a few people have had issues with the ones from HK ---> http://openrcforums.com/forum/memberlis ... file&u=218
pabs

Post by pabs »

I got my 9xr! I pretty impressed with it so far ... great value for sure! I've also successfully programmed the ER9X firmware onto it using my avrisp mkII. I mapped all the pins before I used it and it is a proper Atmel avrisp port, just plug in the Atmel avrisp and your good to go. One thing to note is if you use the Atmel avrisp you keep the main battery in as this is what powers the micro during programming. When I was researching this people said to remove the battery before programming it so I'm guessing the little programmers you get from hobbyking and such provide power to the board through the Vcc pin. I haven't looked at the schematic for those little programmers so I don't know for sure.

Anyway hope this helps if anyone else wants to use a Atmel avrisp programmer (btw - mine is a mkII)

Cheers
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Is the processor a Mega64 or a Mega128? If you don't know, read the signature bytes.
If it is a '128 then make sure you use the '128 version of er9x. It has a few more reatures and twice as much EEPROM for model storage.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

pabs

Post by pabs »

its a Mega128, but I'm not sure which version I downloaded. This is the link I used for download:

http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/er9x.hex

Is there a different link for the version for the Mega128? Also I'm thinking of doing the Frsky telemetry conversion to the 9XR is there a Mega128 version for that?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That's the M64 version.
Have you got eepe installed. This lets you easily select the download you need. I recently made the M128 version have an option to indicate the telemetry mod has been done, so there is now only a single version.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pabs

Post by pabs »

Thanks Mike! Now I'm looking for the downloads in the right spot ... http://er9x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

What is the difference between er9x-128-standard.hex and er9x-128.hex?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 'standard' version doesn't include the telemetry functions and assumes the telemetry mod is not done.
This version is being phased out with an option in the 'full' version to select whether the telemetry mod has been done or not.
I'm doing this to limit the number of different versions that need to be built.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
pabs

Post by pabs »

Great! I'll flash it later today, thanks for the help. And great job on this project, I totally impressed with it! Super cool stuff :)
backman8571

Post by backman8571 »

question

if you have the T9XR radio do you still have to do the soldering mods to get telemetry to work or is that only for T9X

Per
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, you still need to do the telemetry mod.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
backman8571

Post by backman8571 »

Have you done the mod's ??

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”