9xr on er9x ok but cant load models using eepe

Hardware Support for the 9XR
Sniper3D

9xr on er9x ok but cant load models using eepe

Post by Sniper3D »

Hi, am hoping someone can help me here.

I have a new Turnigy 9xr with the m128 chip. I bought a cheap Chinese usbasp programmer and the 10-6pin adapter with it. I removed my frsky module from the back and followed the utube video on how to update the 9xr from the standard software to er9x. This worked fine once I had realised I had the m128 chip, not the m64 (it gave a id of 1e 97 02 back to avrdude when the expected one was 1e 96 02 which I assume means an m64 chip). So then I set the configuration and preferences to m128 and that allowed me to update to er9x. The splash screen now reports er9x and the lastest version of 798 on the general info page. It all works fine.

I am using windows8 btw, but it seemed ok with the usbasp driver in all. I am using the 2011 usbasp driver with eepe.

anyway using eepe, I can spec up my models ok, then use the 'download models' button to the tx, which other than the sck speed error, appears to work fine. But I get a 'bad eeprom load?' error on the transmitter and no models loaded, even though the avrdude messages appears to send it ok and checks it back ok. Oddly I can upload the models from the transmitter back to eepe ok, just fails the other way.... Any suggestions welcome.

thanks,

Tony.

also slightly weird is my tx memory report on model page 1/12 shows free 1575 when I only have one model of 75 (bytes?). If it uses the m128 chip, shouldn't I see more memory free than this?

Kilrah

Re: 9xr on er9x ok but cant load models using eepe

Post by Kilrah »

eePe only downloads the standard m64 version of er9x. To flash the m128 version (with the added model storage) for the 9XR (no FrSky) you have to download the hex manually from the repo (right click on "View Raw file" at the bottom of the right column on this page: http://code.google.com/p/er9x/source/br ... andard.hex )

So download and flash that, and then it will work fine.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The next revision of eepe will include er9x-128-standard.hex as an option in preferences.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Sniper3D

Post by Sniper3D »

Hi, thanks very much for your reply. Just so i am sure i fully understand it, are you saying that

1) i have installed the m64 version of er9x which is running ok on a m128 chip?
2) If i update to the m128 version of the er9x will that let me use the eepe menu options for installing m128 spec models, or do i also need to 'download hex manually' for that operation as well?

lastly, i have read that i need to remove my frsky module from the back of the transmitter to avoid damaging it when doing firmware updates, is this also true for model updates, or is it a good practise to remove it anyway before using eepe?

thankyou very much for your help.

cheers,

Tony.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

1) Yes.
2) You need to just download the firmware manually and flash it. Then transferring models will work normally (as long as processor is set to M128, but you've already done that).

Removing the module is not necessary. It's only needed if the radio is modified for telemetry display, with some old methods.

Sniper3D

Post by Sniper3D »

Hi, thanks for the advice. I has worked perfectly. I flashed the 9xr using the m128 version of the er9x hex, then used eepe to upload my model setups and it is all sweet. I am now showing 3330 free mem on model page 1/12 even with 6 models loaded. the general/version page now shows pretty much the same version info as before, but now under MOD: shows 128, where before was null. (maybe should show m64?) anyway, all is sweet.

thanks very much for explaining it all to me, I really appreciate the results.

cheers,

Tony.

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”