9xr wont turn on

Hardware Support for the 9XR
Archilleselbow

9xr wont turn on

Post by Archilleselbow »

Hi guys,

I tried searching 9x forums for this, but havent come up with anything solid, so i thought I would ask specifically in hope of some help...

I recieved a 9xr radio yesterday.. charged the lipo and turned it on... worked fine... i changed a model name .. browsed some menus and then turned it off (oh I also stuck on the front plate of the lcd (which was in a seperate plastic packet)...

this morning i turned the radio on and only the blue ready light comes on... the lcd screen is blank and there are no beeps or sounds from any button presses...

any ideas on what is wrong/how to fix this?

Flaps 30

Re: 9xr wont turn on

Post by Flaps 30 »

Without a crystal ball it is difficult to say much at this stage. The blue light indicates that the power is getting to the right place. Next step would be to open it up and see if anything is loose or not as it should be..

What is the plate for the LCD about?
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

The foam was for the battery...
You may may have damaged the LCD ..check the ribbon cable connection. the little lever flicks open ..insert the cable and push the lever down
until it clips in place...be careful , you can damage the connector.

-Brent
Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

i plan to open it tonight...
the plate for the lcd...:
the 9xr came with the top cover of the lcd.. so basically a clear plastic screen with the words turnigy (etc) on a black border not stuck on the tx.. .it came in a seperate packet... there was sticky tape on the tx itself so u just had to place the platic screen n top of the lcd portion of the tx .. dont know why they did that but anyways...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

strange, why would they want to do that? :o
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Pictures please.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

i stuck it on already..
its the entire front facia... with the words turnigy and 9xr etc..
Attachments
IMG_3331.JPG
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Maybe it's part of a new faceplate upgrade due to sticking buttons?
To be clear, the LCD had some glass on it and this was just a thin plastic overlay? Was it just a boarder or a whole clear piece with Turnigy on it?
Plastic I assume?
As for your tx LCD no longer having a display,
Does you tx still transmit and work servos or is it totally dead except for the backlight?
Before this happened did you have your case open for any reason just just to be sure we're getting all the facts.
Also what's you tx battery setup?
It's posable that in either case you could have connectors not fully seated.
Final info is that HK seems to have done something different because of the loose LCD overlay and also it's been a fact that they have shipped defective damaged TXs out before.
At this point you can try to send it back or open it up and do a visual and take some voltage readings to see what's failed?
It depends on how you want to deal with it and your technical knowledge with a meter.
You'll get great help and advice here but you'll have to decide what you're going to do next.
SM

Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

Maybe it's part of a new faceplate upgrade due to sticking buttons?
>> that maybe as my buttons dont stick
To be clear, the LCD had some glass on it and this was just a thin plastic overlay? Was it just a boarder or a whole clear piece with Turnigy on it?
>> plastic overlay... whole clear piece
Plastic I assume?
>> yep
As for your tx LCD no longer having a display,
Does you tx still transmit and work servos or is it totally dead except for the backlight?
>> nope

Before this happened did you have your case open for any reason just just to be sure we're getting all the facts.
>> nope
Also what's you tx battery setup?
>> the 9xr lipo
It's posable that in either case you could have connectors not fully seated.
>> yep will check that tonight
Final info is that HK seems to have done something different because of the loose LCD overlay and also it's been a fact that they have shipped defective damaged TXs out before.
At this point you can try to send it back or open it up and do a visual and take some voltage readings to see what's failed?
>> im gonna open it up and try flashing
It depends on how you want to deal with it and your technical knowledge with a meter.
You'll get great help and advice here but you'll have to decide what you're going to do next.
>> thanks alot!!!
SM
Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

ok so i plugged in the 9xr to the usbasp and it turned on to the start screen..
i then flashed it with the latest er9x all went fine, but i did have to change eepe to m128 or else it did not flash...

however when i took it off the usbasp.. and try to turn on the tx normally - its the same.. the ready light is on and the screen is just blank...
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

It's a good sign that it is permanently failing ;) (better than an intermittent failure).
As it works powered from USB, some voltage is missing on the board when running from battery.
You are sure, you never connected the battery in the wrong direction ?

Check the path of the battery voltage from the main switch to the main board.
On the main board there are two voltage regulators, a 5V and 3.3 volt.

When measuring with a volt meter, be careful not to make shorts between different pins.

Always measured against ground (- battery)

The 5 Volt regulator has battery voltage as input, +5v as output and ground
The 3.3 volt regulator has +5 volt as input, 3.3 volt as output and ground.

The orientation of the pins is probably different.

Provide detailed pictures so we can help you.

Reinhard
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Have you opened it up and checked that all of the connectors are firmly seated, along with a general visual check around for obvious problems?
Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

Flaps 30 wrote:Have you opened it up and checked that all of the connectors are firmly seated, along with a general visual check around for obvious problems?
yep... i have done that...
three things that worry me... when switched on only the blue light comes on.. so there is power from the battery at least to the LED...

when plugged into the usbasp... the tx turns on..
when plugged into the trainer port the tx does not turn on

so the first obvious problem is perhaps the power from the battery to the tx control board?
can anyone show me a pic of where to check voltages?

i checked connectors and all are seated correctly...
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Hk has not provided any schematics to date.
If your ok with a meter you should see a 5 volt regulator and a maybe a 3 volt one after that. You'll have to read the numbers on them and look them up for in's and outs.
The led may and BL may be before the CPU power buss on the board.
You would want to read tx battery I to the regulator and 5 volts out and that 5 volts should also be on the CPU power pin m64 or m128.
There is a fuse on the buzzer board. Maybe it's blown, I'm not sure where it is in the power circuit?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367277917.416138.jpg

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Main board with regulator left side.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367278350.967584.jpg

Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

ShowMaster wrote:Hk has not provided any schematics to date.
If your ok with a meter you should see a 5 volt regulator and a maybe a 3 volt one after that. You'll have to read the numbers on them and look them up for in's and outs.
The led may and BL may be before the CPU power buss on the board.
You would want to read tx battery I to the regulator and 5 volts out and that 5 volts should also be on the CPU power pin m64 or m128.
There is a fuse on the buzzer board. Maybe it's blown, I'm not sure where it is in the power circuit?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367277917.416138.jpg

i dont think its a fuse to the buzzer.. .since the buzzer works fine when usbasp is plugged in...
im comfortable with a voltmeter, soldering iron etc.. i only short out one in 10 things ;p
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Is the fuse okay when checked with the meter?
Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

will check when i get home tonite...

(if all else fails.. i guess i can always hardwire the battery connector to the usbasp power wires with a Voltage regulator.. lol ;p
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Just trace out the circuit oath from the switch to the regulator input. Could be a bad connector or a bent I've pin, so many things. HK doesn't offer repair service and doesn't offer schematics, lose lose!
Be patient and measurements. I have plans to open up my 9xr for some stock modification when I have time. I'll see what I can find out about the path from the battery to the regulator input.
SM

Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

thanks!!:)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

From all I see in the HK wiring pictures the programmer wires are soldered directly to the main board and CPU pins or the pads connected to them just like the er9x solder programmer mod.
This would let the programmer/USB input power the board but the tx battery path to the 5v regulator could still be open. I would think the fuse is in the battery path so that's my simple fix guess, replace the fuse!
SM

SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

The glass fuse is in the charging path when the power switch is OFF
The thermal fuse (flat against the board ) is in series with the battery , it would go very quickly if there was a short.

This is most likely what is gone ..you can jumper it out ....IF you do go for the jumper , use a 9V transistor radio battery to power it up
the first time. The reason to do this is , that the little battery does not have enough power available to burn out traces and some components
if there are any other problems on the board , they would just get hot..
Using even the so called "transmitter batteries" which can deliver way to much current in a short circuit , and smoke tracks and parts off the board.

-Brent
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

SkyNorth wrote:The thermal fuse (flat against the board ) is in series with the battery , it would go very quickly if there was a short.
Is that the object that is next to the glass tubular fuse?
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

Yes the flat bar with a white sticker in the middle ... it looks to trip at 170' F
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

So that's what that white thing is.
SM

Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

ok some good news:):)

it was actually not the radio but the battery!

i tested the battery when the radio went dead and it still read as a 3s.. though the radio didnt work...
just before i started tracing power in the radio i decided to start at the source once again ie the battery... it reads as a fully charged 2s radio (im using the "special" lipo for the 9xr)
so it reads 8.2v...
when charging the charger does not report any errors.. it just charges to 8.x volts and then reports fully charged..

so i put a new battery into the radio and it started up just fine....

something wierd with this 9xr battery...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Don't know if I understood eactly what you said but, let me ask.. are you sure that the battery polarity is not reversed on that one?
I have some lipos that have the balance plug wires reversed compared to other batteries.
I'm not sure but I think the 9XR has a protection diode? that's maybe why your radio didn't work with that battery.. And if all I said happens to be true, then you can be glad that the diode is there or you would have killed your radio :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Maybe the connector on the battery has a bad/high resistance contact.
Archilleselbow

Post by Archilleselbow »

jhsa wrote:Don't know if I understood eactly what you said but, let me ask.. are you sure that the battery polarity is not reversed on that one?
I have some lipos that have the balance plug wires reversed compared to other batteries.
I'm not sure but I think the 9XR has a protection diode? that's maybe why your radio didn't work with that battery.. And if all I said happens to be true, then you can be glad that the diode is there or you would have killed your radio :)

João
i checked that first... and the polarity was all correct...
i think that 1 cell on the battery was dying.. and has now died..

im assuming the diode has something to do with why the charger still recognises it as fine and just charges the 2 cells to 8.x volts without reporting an error...
dennis

Post by dennis »

i had the same problem when i hit the back of it, it would power on, but i later figured its was my battery voltage. :D

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”