FrSky Taranis Q X7 Radio

Help and support for any other brand radios
bob195558

FrSky Taranis Q X7 Radio

Post by bob195558 »

A New FrSky Taranis Q X7 Radio ?
A New FrSky Taranis Q X7 Radio ?
A new FrSky Taranis Q X7 Radio: (http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-q-x7.html).
($105.00, OUT OF STOCK) Still need to buy all the other items to make it work.
Still hard to beat the 9XR-Pro.
Why dose FrSky think this is a good product to compete against the 9XR-Pro, other then the Gimbals are better what is it ? :?:
If the display screen was at the top :idea: , maybe then ? :?:
The FrSky Taranis Plus Radio Transmitter at $193.00 is a better deal (http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-p ... itter.html).

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Kilrah

Re: FrSky Taranis Q X7 Radio

Post by Kilrah »

A 9XR-Pro with an FrSky XJT costs $101.
Here it's integrated, you've got an additional slot, and a bit more functionality through Lua. You lose a pot and 2 2-pos switches, you have 3 switches that gain a 3rd position.

Both are pretty close, so it's different options that will be down to personal choice, some will prefer one and some the other.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't like the fact that this radio has only 32Kb eeprom like the Taranis. I doubt you will fit 60 normal models in it. I would have thought that frsky would have corrected some mistakes on this one.. But so far the only really good thing they did on this one compared to their older radio, was to install a rotary encoder.
I'm not saying this is not a good radio, it is for sure a good one. But I wouldn't swap any of my 9x radios for one of these.
Well, maybe if Mike would port Ersky9x to it and I could have all the goodies ersky9x supports on my 9x radios.. Otherwise is not even worth to think about it.. :) This is my personal opinion, but I have been spoiled by Ersky9x :) :D

The 9XR-PRO radio could have been a much better radio if HK would have listened to the beta testers advice. Better gimbals, better power switch (Yes the power switch is a very weak point of this radio), etc. The electronics inside the pro are fantastic and very well designed and it is a shame that the rest doesn't have the same quality..
Another negative aspect of the pro, is the lack of space for adding extra hardware inside the radio. I am still trying to find a way of installing my RF module soft power switch inside this radio.
I find the pro a bit ugly but it does feel good in my hands and I did enjoy using it for a couple years..
Let's see how the new frsky radio is as far as hardware quality is concerned, and if Mike will port Ersky9x to it.. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: FrSky Taranis Q X7 Radio

Post by Rob Thomson »

jhsa wrote:I don't like the fact that this radio has only 32Kb eeprom like the Taranis. I doubt you will fit 60 normal models in it. I would have thought that frsky would have corrected some mistakes on this one.. But so far the only really good thing they did on this one compared to their older radio, was to install a rotary encoder.
I'm not saying this is not a good radio, it is for sure a good one. But I wouldn't swap any of my 9x radios for one of these.
Well, maybe if Mike would port Ersky9x to it and I could have all the goodies ersky9x supports on my 9x radios.. Otherwise is not even worth to think about it.. :) This is my personal opinion, but I have been spoiled by Ersky9x :) :D

The 9XR-PRO radio could have been a much better radio if HK would have listened to the beta testers advice. Better gimbals, better power switch (Yes the power switch is a very weak point of this radio), etc. The electronics inside the pro are fantastic and very well designed and it is a shame that the rest doesn't have the same quality..
Another negative aspect of the pro, is the lack of space for adding extra hardware inside the radio. I am still trying to find a way of installing my RF module soft power switch inside this radio.
I find the pro a bit ugly but it does feel good in my hands and I did enjoy using it for a couple years..
Let's see how the new frsky radio is as far as hardware quality is concerned, and if Mike will port Ersky9x to it.. :)

João
I have a feeling that we may see the Q7 become the new 9X.

Its at the right price point. And has plenty scope internally for 'upgrades'.
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: FrSky Taranis Q X7 Radio

Post by jhsa »

Rob Thomson wrote: I have a feeling that we may see the Q7 become the new 9X.

Its at the right price point. And has plenty scope internally for 'upgrades'.
I think You might be right Rob.. Depends on Mike porting Ersky9x to it... and how much money I have :) :D
But only 32Kb eeprom.. :( That is really a turn off for me.. :(
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

The battery compartment looks to be a problem (very small) and still the display screen is at the bottom of the radio.
Future new radios should have the display screen at the top.

Bob B.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Battery compartment is plenty big, just not a very common size. You can easily put 3x18650s for a 3s 2500mAh.

Display at the bottom is meh indeed - but then one thing with designs with a display at the top is that they are more bulky.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I am using the following.

Fits with room to spare.
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

jhsa wrote: and if Mike will port Ersky9x to it.. :)
First test version posted!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Daedalus66 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:55 am
Success!

ERSky9x on the Taranis Q X7.

It works very well. I just had a bit of difficulty with the name editor, which worked but was awkward compared to using it in any of the other versions of ERSky9x. Perhaps needs Mike's skilled tweaking. Also setting up triple rates was a problem for me. Never could find the right settings for Sw1 and Sw2 to give High, Mid, Low.

The rotary encoder seems to be a good way to interact with the Tx. Couldn't quite figure out the functional difference between Menu and the encoder button (on the left and right respectively in the accompanying picture), as they do many but not all of the same things.

Also noted that you need to press and hold the ON button, whereas in OpenTX just press and it completes the start-up.

Anyway, thank you Mike for this alternative firmware.

Nigel
See here: (viewtopic.php?p=124936#p124972) and new firmware here (http://www.er9x.com/).
Last edited by bob195558 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michel49

Post by michel49 »

The best reason to purchase it should be a better HW quality than the PRO, essentially the gimbals; I was told the M9 sticks would fit the QX7.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Not easily but they will make M7 sticks specially for the X7.
Runningbear

Post by Runningbear »

Hello I am new to the RC hobbies and this forum, I have a grandson that is interested in quads so I looked into purchasing rc transmitter(s). I narrowed the manufacture down to FrSky and have purchased FrSky Taranis Q X7 which I think is good pick for quads use. We visited several local RC airfields and I have become interested in RC Airplanes and I think the FrSky Taranis X9D+ would be better suited for that, with its sliders and additional switches (flaps, landing gear, air brake and etc.), I am going to hold off on this purchase for a while I think the next iteration of the X9D+ is in the mill and will have vast improvements. I have seen some large price reductions on the X9D+ they maybe preparing for new Taranis X??D, hopefully with M9 gimbals, the same menu, page, exit and entry system as Q X7, plus a touch screen.

Just wishful thinking,

Runningbear

Return to “Other Radios”