Accidentally plugged shorted out wifi booster on taranis.

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
rcbamm

Accidentally plugged shorted out wifi booster on taranis.

Post by rcbamm »

Hi guys..

First post here for my problem :cry:

Ive been loving my FrSky taranis, I'v used it quite a bit with the stock antenna setup but needed more range so I went ahead and soldered one of those micro antenna plugs onto the PCB where the stock antenna was so I could plug in my SunHans wifi booster. This setup has worked great for me except for today when I went to plug in the wifi booster, I accidentally reversed the polarity and heard the wifi booster release its magic smoke.

so I figured "ah c**p, ruined my wifi booster, no biggie, ill just install a stock whip antenna"

well after I screwed on the whip antenna, I cannot for the life of me get the Taranis to bind to any receivers. Did I ruin my Taranis? It seems to be working fine, it just won't bind :|

rcbamm

Re: Accidentally plugged shorted out wifi booster on taranis

Post by rcbamm »

ImageImage

Here is some pictures of the mod I performed on my Taranis. As I've said, this setup worked great when it was tied into a wifi booster. I do not get any internal discrepancy alerts from the Taranis software either. It just simply won't bind anymore
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

how did you power your wifi booster, from Taranis ?
Does your Taranis boot?

There is a fuse F1 0,75A and a Diode D5 at the Taranis main board near the battery jacket
mybe defect ?

Helle
rcbamm

Post by rcbamm »

I powered the wifi booster from the same battery pack that the Taranis uses for main power via a separate connector coming from the battery. The Taranis powers on, no discrepancies noted when powering on and cycling through each menu page and or setting, I just cannot get the thing to bind to any receivers

-Daniel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

So, the taranis also had it's supply reversed...

If that is the case maybe one of the guys that have the schematics could help you. My bet is that you could have fried the module or the circuit that switches it. Check you have the internal module enabled in the settings.. Do you have another module you could connect on the extrrnal module bay and test if it works?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I doubt the radio had its supply reversed, the fuse would have blown and it wouldn't turn on anymore.
Would help if we understood exactly what your power connections are and where the reversing happened.

A possibility is the dying booster might have sent power into the module's RF section, blowing it up.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Ummm... it seems to me the simple answer is, since it appears to be a non-plus Taranis, to look at the TSSI and see if you have any signal, then look at the "SWR that Really Isn't" and see if it is within specs.

This kind of situation is precisely what those devices are meant for. ;)

mnem
*Taranified*
norisknofun

Post by norisknofun »

Dear @Rcbamm,

I want to update my Taranis with a Sunhans 2W booster too. Do you have pictures with the booster too? How to connect where to put and how to connect to lipo or original taranis battery etc.?

Thank you in advance

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”