mnementh

Taranis TOO EASY™ RGB Backlight Mod

Post by mnementh »

*YAWNNNNN*

New Mod on my Blog...

Taranis TOO EASY™ RGB Backlight Mod

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2255207

Enjoy!

And please forgive any Typos... I'm gonna proofread again tomorrow when I can see straight.

mnem
Me a DEAAAAAD Geezel...

deaconFlyer

Re: Taranis TOO EASY™ RGB Backlight Mod

Post by deaconFlyer »

I spend allot of hoes playing around with 5050 LED lighting strings. There are several different controllers, including one that is far smaller (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-RF-RGB-LED- ... 5d4e3ee7e5) which I have used similar ones in numerous installations. It is RF ... not IR ... which might make the install even easier.

These lights don't run as cool as one might think. Have you any concerns about heat?

Still ... it is a nice hack, especially when all of the parts are already sitting on my hobby table. Your right, anyone not used to the terminology should source out what they are buying carefully. There is a difference in the various strings and controllers. Comparability is not always guaranteed.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I'm aware of the mini IR controller; as I said, I'm sure that someone with similar electronics skills to mine can easily adapt my work to suit it. I just don't have one handy, they cost a couple bux more, and for my OTHER mod (the one for the 9XR/9XR Pro) I don't know if it can easily be converted to 5V operation; this controller can. We don't really NEED smaller; there's plenty of room for this module where I put it, and it weighs like 8 grams once you strip all the junk off it.

I'm also aware of the RF controller, and I sortof thought the reasons were pretty obvious for not recommending it on a device that is expected to be host to 2 or 3 RF transceivers operating at the same time. I think we're already pushing our luck adding Bluetooth to these little beasts. ;)

I ran my test string for an hour on white mix and only noted a 10°rise above ambient according to my IR thermometer; although my string was running direct off a 3S battery so it was probably around 11-ish Volts by the time I took my last measurement.

mnem
*Blinky*
deaconFlyer

Post by deaconFlyer »

Thanks ... Good to know!

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”