Latest companion update causes problems

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
X650Morgan

Latest companion update causes problems

Post by X650Morgan »

I have up dated to the latest companion but find I have a problem, I read elsewhere that I needed to run Zadig again to get connectivity to the radio, I did that but the problem exists!

With the radio off but plugged into my Windows 7 desktop I run zadig list all options find the STM32 Bootloader but only have an option to reinstall the driver.
Capture.JPG
This can then be seen in Device manager
Capture2.JPG
When I start companion and try to access the Taranis I get this:
Capture3.JPG
With the radio on and connected this is the driver I see
Capture4.JPG
When I start companion and try to access the Taranis I get this:
Capture3.JPG
So can somebody point me in the right direction please to get back my previous connection

David

Kilrah

Re: Latest companion update causes problems

Post by Kilrah »

There is NO need to rerun Zadig ever unless you change computer or radio. companion9x does not itself affect how flashing is done, it simply calls an external utility. So updating it can't break anything.

The error you post shows you're trying to read/write the EEPROM instead of the firmware. You're likely using the wrng button/menu entry in companion9x.
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

I'm not sure it is that
Here I have the radio on and plugged into the PC I have pressed the button Read EEPROM from TX and get this message
Capturegreen.JPG
Device manager shows this
Capture4.JPG
I would not have run Zadig again except I was trying to write a configuration bin file to the SD card on the TX and got an error message.

Thanks for your attention to this
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Do you see the 2 disk drives drives in your computer?
I would not have run Zadig again except I was trying to write a configuration bin file to the SD card on the TX and got an error message.
Zadig has nothing to do with SD or EEPROM. It only installs the driver used for flashing with radio off.
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

I get the USB connection sound but no disks in 'computer'

David

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Is your radio on the main view (no warnings) when you connect USB? Got the USB logo on the radio?
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

Yes on both counts
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The it must be something with your PC not wanting to mount the drives.

Can you take screenshots of the disk manager? Right click my computer, Manage, Disk manager
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

Sure here, I have two options

1: I can recover the full disk as a backup was done yesterday
2: I also have companion installed on a Lenovo laptop it is version 1.51 and works

So I can use that and not use the desktop, still happy to find out the issue in the event it happens with somebody else.

David
Capture.JPG
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK so it's not even showing up there. Tried another USB port and cable?
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

I have tried 5 different USB ports, on my laptop when the radio is off and attached the STM32 driver is in device manager, when the radio is on and attached the drives appear in computer and no drive is visible in device manager USB.

On the desktop however when the radio is on and attached we have this driver visible
Capture4.JPG
So an .inf file or registry has been written, I have un-installed Companion from the desktop but now need to manual remove the registry positions, as companion doesn't actually install as a windows program do you know what registry positions would have been written for say STM32 and du***

David
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

None. As far as I know companion9x doesn't set anything in the registry apart from its settings (HKCU\Software\companion9x). It never installs any inf or driver on its own.
The dfu driver you install yourself with Zadig, companion9x only runs dfu-util which is a standalone executable with no settings. The mass storage driver for the drives is the standard Windows driver that is used as for any USB disk drive.
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

Okay removed registry data for STM32 and FrSKY Taranis Mass Storage device 2 entries for each

oem270.inf was for STM32 and there were half a dozen or so .inf files, And a few for the mass storage device, so the system should be clean if I want to re-install companion on the desktop, at present the laptop is fine, approaching midnight now and this old gent needs his beauty sleep, thanks for your help

David
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

Actually before I nod off companion actually writes a large file to the registry and it doesn't clean up after itself when using the provided un-install :roll:
Capture.JPG
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes those are the settings I referred to.
Most programs behave that way so that when you reinstall them you still have your settings.
dhardjono

Post by dhardjono »

I am also having same problem Xmouse is having trying to do the same i am using laptop widow 8 than i went to another desktop window 7 i get same thing on both pc.
philafixit

Post by philafixit »

Same problem here too. Running win 8.1 on laptop. Tx on, alarms screens cleared. 'USB' ding when plugging in/out. USB shown on Tx. but no dives shown in explorer. Has been flakey ....works for a number of tries..then wont work. Tried uninstalling / reinstalling C9but still same result. Any thoughts?
philafixit

Post by philafixit »

Update to my last post, erratic mounting of SD / win 8.1. Without changing any s/ware or settings, mounting and read/ writes to SD and Eprom are now fine. I noticed that PC was sounding USB ding when plug was only just touching socket and long before fully inserting. I suspect an RFI problem, and now using longer USB lead keeping TX away from laptop and all works fine. Fingers crossed this was the cause and cure? May be worth a try for you other guys with similar issues
Tonz

Post by Tonz »

I'm 3 days into trying to associate the zadig STM BOOTLOADER into my Vista 32 bit Universal Serial Bus Devices after removing the STM DFU from Univerersal Serial Bus Controllers. Yes, with the tx switched off and only plugged into the pc for the bootloader load. The zadig works fine, confirming its downloaded BUT its not showing up wher it should. Infact I have not found these. My pc usb to mini usb lead into thr Taranis is acknowledge as its plugged in with bus beep.
SO, I read of issues in blogs last yr and this present set; clearly there is some major issue remaining.
I have written in my bog of this frustration over the last few days
Tonz

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”