Spektrum DM9 Module in Taranis

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The Spektrum DSM2 module works fine in Taranis with the right settings under External RF Module in the Model Setup menu:
PPM
CH1-8
22.5ms
400u (not the default 300)
+ (not the default - polarity)

It won't work at all with negative polarity, and if you leave the pulse width at 300us, the centering will be off by 0.1ms (about 20%).

If you use the OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module, the standard settings work fine.

If you are setting up Taranis to fly a model that has previously been flown with a Spektrum or JR transmitter, note that 100% throw on Taranis is equivalent to 125% on JR/Spektrum. You will therefore probably want to dial down throws to 80% on Taranis to get similar control response. The best way to do this is to set the limits on the affected channels to 80%.

All of this should also apply to the 9X.

Falcon26

Re: Spektrum DM9 Module in Taranis

Post by Falcon26 »

Are there any changes in binding to spectrum rx
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I don't see any changes in OpenTX that affect the above instructions.
Falcon26

Post by Falcon26 »

Thanks for the response and the post the next Question would be how to deal with and config the AR 635 Stabilize controls I did install the DM9 and bound a AR7010 and the bind was instant and solid so that was a success thanks again but Horizon has a software setup for there AS3X receivers I have never done it before and how it would apply on the Taranis any ideas
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The main thing to understand is that the open source firmwares, including OpenTX and ER9X, have a wider pulse width range at 100% throw than the Spektrum/JR/Futaba standard.

Specifically, 100% on a Taranis equals 125% on a Spektrum transmitter. On my VisionAir with AR635, the manual calls for 125% end points on A, E and R. That means that on my Taranis I set the mix on those channels to 100%.

On the other hand, I want the throttle channel to range from -100 to +100 in Spektrum terms, so I set the mix to 80%. (You could also set the mix to 100% and re calibrate the ESC.)

The AR635 requires that channel 5 (Gear) go from -100 to +100 (in Spektrum terms) on a two position switch. Since a wider range is also OK, I just set the mix to 100% on Taranis.

Finally, channel 6 (Aux1) needs to go -100, 0, +100 on a three-position switch. Again, wider range is OK, so I use 100% on Taranis.

Set up D/R and expo as called for in the manual for the model.

That should give you everything you need to set up the Taranis for the AR635. The details may differ for a different model, but the basic setup will be the same.

By the way, the only way in which the use of a DM9 as opposed to an Orange DSM2/DSMX module makes a difference in this context is that for the DM9 you must be sure to set pulse width to 400usec to get the neutral right. This matters for the AS3X stabilization. The Orange is OK as is.

fabfour

Post by fabfour »

Hi,

i have a Taranis with DM9 and a Blade Micro Heli (Nano CPX).
I found this thread here and had a look at some eepe files for different blade micro helis (ncpx, mcpx, 130x) in some other sub forums.
All of this eepe files use 100% output on all channels.

Does that mean, all of these files use 125% settings in comparison to an Spectrum TX?
Is this safe for the servos (channel 2-4/6) and what about the motor (channel 1)?
I do not want to overstress this little heli.

Brgds
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Easy to find out by yourself, if you slowly move controls and servos hit end stops before you reach the end of the stick throw then yes there's too much throw.
The different modules that people are able to use (hack module, Orange module, DM9) all result in somewhat different throws, so it's not possible to make a "universal" file.
fabfour

Post by fabfour »

Okay, i just tried this. Full PIT is fine. Full PIT with full AIL or ELE reaches the end. With 80% everything is fine.
How about the Throttle?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

fabfour wrote:Hi,

i have a Taranis with DM9 and a Blade Micro Heli (Nano CPX).
I found this thread here and had a look at some eepe files for different blade micro helis (ncpx, mcpx, 130x) in some other sub forums.
All of this eepe files use 100% output on all channels.

Does that mean, all of these files use 125% settings in comparison to an Spectrum TX?
Is this safe for the servos (channel 2-4/6) and what about the motor (channel 1)?
I do not want to overstress this little heli.

Brgds
Yes it does. And no it probably isn't safe for the servos.

Spektrum and related manufacturers always warn about not exceeding 100% (in Spektrum terms) when setting up their linear servos. While there is some leeway to allow for trim and mixing, it's easy to exceed the limits and drive the servo to the stalling point if you use a transmitter such as Taranis with open firmware, where 100% corresponds to 125% for Spektrum.

So for your transmitter, 80% is the new 100%. :)

As for the motor, I would also use 80% to ensure reasonably linear response with full stick travel.
windcatcher

Post by windcatcher »

I am trying to use Orange JR tx Module in Taranis to talk to Orange satellite connected to ZYX-S Fbl with no luck.

That doesnt work with taranis but works with original spektrum dx7 and dx8 (these radios are not mine...)

Is there any way to make taranis with orange tx module to send identical signal as spektrum radios?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That's what the Orange module is for. Does it do the "power on" beep? If not check your radio's settings. Needs to put out PPM.
Philpow

Post by Philpow »

I have a DM9 fitted to my Taranis and it works with Orange (Spektrum) receivers just fine if set up as described earlier in this forum, my question is when selecting the Tx output to the external module you are offered DSM2 LP45 which according to FrSky is a more stable signal!!! so just why doesn't it work!!!! will it only work with certain TX modules and certain Receiver types/makes ? is there something I am not doing ? I am using Orange receivers but I do have a model that is fitted with a genuine Spektrum Rx with AS3X and that wont obey it either but it will if I ignore it and set up the output as before.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Where did you read that DSM2 LP45 would be a more stable signal? What does FrSky have to do with Spektrums DSM2?

DSM2 LP45 does not work at all with stock DM9 modules as these expect a PPM signal, not a serial signal if i remember correctly.
The DSM2 LP45/DSM2/DSMX options can only be used with Spektrum RF modules (X1TXN) gutted from DX4e, DX5e and DX6i transmitters as far as I know.
I don't know if a DM9 module can be converted to use the serial DSM2 protocol. This might give you modelmatch but no other benefits.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Philpow wrote:I have a DM9 fitted to my Taranis and it works with Orange (Spektrum) receivers just fine if set up as described earlier in this forum, my question is when selecting the Tx output to the external module you are offered DSM2 LP45 which according to FrSky is a more stable signal!!! so just why doesn't it work!!!! will it only work with certain TX modules and certain Receiver types/makes ? is there something I am not doing ? I am using Orange receivers but I do have a model that is fitted with a genuine Spektrum Rx with AS3X and that wont obey it either but it will if I ignore it and set up the output as before.
The DM9 module was designed in 2006 to update existing FM transmitters. It works ONLY with PPM input. It does NOT accept the serial input protocol used by later Spektrum transmitters and modules, such as the ones we glean from the DX4e, MP4DSM, etc.

There is no such thing as a "more stable signal" in this context, just ones that work and ones that don't for a given type of module. Could you point to the FrSky comment, please, as I think it must be out of context.

Remember that the DM9 requires the protocol to be set for positive polarity and should have the pulse width increased to 350 or 400us for proper centering.

The DM9 should work with any DSM2 or DSMX receiver. The latter will automatically go to DSM2 mode. Mine has worked perfectly in my Taranis with a wide range of Spektrum, Orange and Lemon receivers.
Philpow

Post by Philpow »

Apologies for not answering the answers to my problem as I see it from the last two replies the Spektrum DM9 module will only accept the PPM data from the TX which is fine as it works. So why offer the option when as far as I can tell there is no other Spektrum module available is this option for non Spektrum modules the Orange one for example or do you have to do as suggested on the FRSky forum http://www.hacksmods.com/2011/12/spektr ... om-hp6dsm/ .
So to conclude why offer a selection which it appears has no purpose I can only guess as FrSky don't seem to understand the question. I also don't know how to point anyone at the FrSky comment SORRY.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It is indeed for the "hack" you linked to. A fair number of people use that.

Sent via mobile
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Philpow wrote:Apologies for not answering the answers to my problem as I see it from the last two replies the Spektrum DM9 module will only accept the PPM data from the TX which is fine as it works. So why offer the option when as far as I can tell there is no other Spektrum module available is this option for non Spektrum modules the Orange one for example or do you have to do as suggested on the FRSky forum http://www.hacksmods.com/2011/12/spektr ... om-hp6dsm/ .
So to conclude why offer a selection which it appears has no purpose I can only guess as FrSky don't seem to understand the question. I also don't know how to point anyone at the FrSky comment SORRY.
This is the place to get answers about how the firmware works, not FrSky. The other options are to permit the use of various modules scavenged from Spektrum transmitters, as indicated in previous posts, and as you concluded from the FrSky forum reference. So I'm a bit puzzled about your comment on "a selection which appears to have no purpose."

There's lots of information available regarding the "hack" modules, here on this forum and elsewhere, and it's a popular modification.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Philpow wrote:Apologies for not answering the answers to my problem as I see it from the last two replies the Spektrum DM9 module will only accept the PPM data from the TX which is fine as it works.
True, that's the way it was designed back in the days.
So why offer the option when as far as I can tell there is no other Spektrum module available [?]
This was already answered:
Philipp wrote:The DSM2 LP45/DSM2/DSMX options can only be used with Spektrum RF modules (X1TXN) gutted from DX4e, DX5e and DX6i transmitters
There is plenty of information available about those diy DSM modules, for example this thread.
is this option for non Spektrum modules[,] the Orange one for example[,]
No, the orangeRX DSMX module does only understand PPM, too.
or do you have to do as suggested on the FRSky forum http://www.hacksmods.com/2011/12/spektr ... om-hp6dsm/ [?]
That is not the FRSky forum! This is it http://www.frsky-rc.com/BBS/. Please do not mix this up, this may cause confusion. The website you linked to is made by a guy who loves RC helis and quads, as well as open source software capable radios.
So to conclude why offer a selection which it appears has no purpose[.] I can only guess as FrSky don't seem to understand the question. I also don't know how to point anyone at the FrSky comment SORRY.
Kilrah and Daedalus66 already answered this one. FRsky has nothing to do with the development of this software. They have nothing to do with spektrum. They have nothing to do with OrangeRX either. I would've been surprised if they were able to answer your question.
Hawk600

Post by Hawk600 »

I know this is not so new discussion but I was wondering if anybody else has experimented same issue I had today.

I have a Taranis Plus and a DM9 module bound to several Spektrum RX (AR635 AR636 AR6200, etc.) and flying with no problems, however while binding a AR6100 this morning, I had to lower the ppm frame length to 19/20ms instead the Taranis default 22.5, because the cheap Tower Pro 9g servos were too slow to respond and had issues centering even with the pulse width at 400us and positive polarity.

The servos respond pretty quickly now and centering is better but I am a little concerned if such relative low ppm frame length could cause any issue regards to plane control.
Any input is appreciated.
Zippets

Post by Zippets »

Hello i have a small problem
i have done the setting that you suggested
but im getting a pulse on the yaw and aux 1 channels
its like im slamming the sticks back and forth
how can this be fixed ?

throttle and ail and elve all works great

im using the ppm with the spectrum sat and have also tried it with a lemon rx
with the same results
Philpow

Post by Philpow »

Hi I have after my earlier request been able to use Spectrum/orange receivers using a DM9 module and setting the TX PPM,CH1-8,22.5ms,400u (not the default 300),+ (not the default - polarity) all has been well until today I dug out a model I hadn't flown for a while but had previously been flown using this set up and an Orange receiver there was no response from the receiver at all.
My initial thoughts were Ok dead receiver until I got to the third model three dead receivers ??? I don't think so!!! possibly the TX module is at fault?
At this point I thought lets go back to the beginning and try to re-bind these receivers only problem here was the module refused to go into bind mode (no flashing led when holding bind/range button) that confirms it then or does it didn't I do a firmware update to 2.0.17!!!!!
I check and yes I did date 2015-05-04 so I then put the module back and changed the settings to DSM2-DSM2 and now the module will go into bind mode and the receiver acts like it should when in bind mode only problem is the Taranis is now not talking to the TX module.
This is as far as my Old little grey cells will take me.
jtaylor

Post by jtaylor »

The PPM polarity was reversed in 2.0.16. The DM9 needs PPM not DSM so put the settings back the way they were and try reversing the polarity (you said it was + so try -). Pasted below is from the release notes:

Version 2.0.16 / 2015-05-03
[Taranis]
Fixed reverse polarity on external PPM output. Users with external module in PPM mode should check and update PPM polarity setting.

Jim
Philpow

Post by Philpow »

Hi Jim many thanks for your reply which has cured the problem I have now retrieved the first receiver from the bin. :)
I should make an effort to keep up with changes in the firmware! :oops:

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”