Taranis and DSM2 mods

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
DeathWarmedUp

Re: Taranis and DSM2 mods

Post by DeathWarmedUp »

MikeB wrote:If you have modified a DJT for telemetry on pin 5, then don't plug it in the Taranis. The smart port on pin 5 is logic level (inverted). I'm thinking about a slightly different mod to the DJT so it will work in both cases.

Mike.
Hi Mike,

Boy am I glad I just read your post. I did the Telemetry mod to my DJT/9XR and my Taranis is about to arrive. I WAS going to put the module in the Taranis to save rebinding all the planes but wont be doing that now. You mentioned a Mod so it would be Ok. Have you worked it out yet?

groncho

Post by groncho »

ShowMaster wrote:Thanks Mike. So pin 5 is the one to worry about on modules.
It should be floating for safety?
What about the pin 2. Ok to ground?
The stock FlySky and Turnigy modules may ground one or both of these pins in the module. I'll have to check. I'm sure many may try a stock 9x module so it should be addressed to keep from damaging the Taranis.
SM
I've been trying to get the FlySky module in my taranis to bind with my WLtoys v959. This is the first thing I am trying with the hobby and I was under the impression that the taranis can handle any module.

Did I damage the taranis?
schome1

Post by schome1 »

I've been trying to find information on how to take a DM9 module shell and put a Spektrum DX4e DSMX module in it, giving me a functional external DSM2/DSMX module for my Taranis to bind with my MCPX. Is this possible? I found some sites that show how to use a DX4e or DX5 module with an existing external module, but nothing specific to getting this to work with just the shell of a DM9. Would I need another external module to take apart and replace it's TX module with the DX4e module?

I could just buy an Orange DSM2/DSMX module. The only thing stopping me from doing this is that I read that you have to re-bind every time you fly.

If this is the wrong forum for this question, please redirect me to the correct forum.

Thanks!
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

Try this, see (and the whole thread):
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 150#p48608
akkord64

Post by akkord64 »

Just as a final confirmation, has this mod actually been done on the Tanaris and proven it to work? All the instructions/Guides/Threads all reference the 9X and not the XD9.

I just finished up the hw build based on EjectSteve's schematic (Thank you for that BTW) and recompiled not only the latest, but the version referenced in the thread. I now have options to select under the external module for running DSM/DSM2 which I am assuming is the correct setting for a repurposed DX5e module? I can not seem to get it to bind to my Taranis to my QX180 BNF. I just need someone to confirm this mod actually does work using the related 9x guides on the Taranis.

EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

Have you tried using some different RX numbers in the model setup and different distances between model and TX? If you go back a few pages, you will see that some RX#'s won't bind for some receivers (and some micro's are stubborn to bind). This module is working in my taranis and worked my friend's 9x. I would stick with the version referenced in this thread, but I know all the code has moved to a new repository, and to be honest, haven't tried to compile new or old versions on the new system. I wouldn't even bother testing with the latest versions unless Bertrand or the other developers give the green light for the dsm mods.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I've tested the exact same module I use on my 9x on the Taranis, so yes the hardware part is the same.
The question is the software. What revision exactly did you compile, and with which options?
akkord64

Post by akkord64 »

It is confirmed the hardware portion is good. I used Steve's firmware and it was able to successfully bind, and initial control checks were all good. I went back and re-compiled and am trying to find out why my version of the compiled firmware doesn't work. I went through this process multiple times, and I have linked to the entire build process I am using, from checkout to compile. When I load my own compiled firmware, it just doesn't work.

http://pastebin.com/WJ70gHgq

I am compiling version 2856, and my only options during compile are: 'make PCB=TARANIS DSM2=PPM'
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

The new firmware released today, 2923 said that it has DSM2. Has anyone tried it? I loaded it on the Taranis and Companion, but I don't see a DSM option in the drop down menu for the external module.
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

On my build from a couple days earlier, the DSM2 option is there on the TX but not in Companion9x (v1.51) (It works OK on the simple models I've tried it on.) I think we are in for several days where the firmware and Companion9x are not perfectly matched.

I got an EEPROM warning and my models accumulated small, random errors. Be sure to check each model before you fly and backup your EEPROM (and flash too) before you upgrade. I don't have 2923 yet and don't intend to upgrade for at least a week or two.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

I didn't think it would be there in companion yet, since companion hasn't been updated yet (at least for windows, I haven't check for linux). Companion doesn’t even show the new version number when you choose “simulate TX” and go into the TX menu.

2923 looks like a minor revision, not the big one that's been talked about for the last couple months. When I compiled/tested the new ones back in November they were still pretty rough as far as existing model compatibility. Good call on backing up the eeprom. Now I always do it before loading a new firmware. .
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Companion will be released this afternoon!
I will make sure that DSM2 is there

About the next major release, you can follow the progress here:
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/milestones

Bertrand
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

pmullen503 wrote:On my build from a couple days earlier, the DSM2 option is there on the TX but not in Companion9x (v1.51) (It works OK on the simple models I've tried it on.) I think we are in for several days where the firmware and Companion9x are not perfectly matched.

I got an EEPROM warning and my models accumulated small, random errors. Be sure to check each model before you fly and backup your EEPROM (and flash too) before you upgrade. I don't have 2923 yet and don't intend to upgrade for at least a week or two.
What did you build? The Google Code trunk? Or the 'next' branch on GitHub?
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

I don't see the dsm2 option, even on the Taranis. I downloaded via companion9x, is it possible that the build was made without the "ppm" (dsm2) option via the live update server?
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Yes that's indeed possible. I will fix that tonnight!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As companion9x hasn't been updated yet, you don't yet have the little checkbox needed to include the dsm2 code :)
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Not exactly, I fixed on the compilation server, now DSM2 should be always there.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

The updated version is working for me with the external module. Bound to 3 Micro BnF and did some indoor test flights. So far, so good. Looks good on Companion 1.52, but I haven't tried uploading/downloading dsm models yet.

As far as the modes, DSM2 or DSMx, I believe DSM2 forces DSM2 binding, even if the RX supports DSMX? And mode DSMX will bind to DSMX receivers using DSMX, or fail back to DSM2 if DSMX is not working/available? If this is the case, is there any way to actually see which mode the DSMX setting is using?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

EjectSteve wrote:I believe DSM2 forces DSM2 binding, even if the RX supports DSMX? And mode DSMX will bind to DSMX receivers using DSMX, or fail back to DSM2 if DSMX is not working/available?
Correct.
EjectSteve wrote:If this is the case, is there any way to actually see which mode the DSMX setting is using?
No.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

I noticed a potential problem with Companion 1.52 and OpenTX 2923. In Companion9x with LP45 or DSMX, you get the message "EEprom saved with these warnings: opentx doesn't accept this protocol" when you attempt to simulate from the 'edit model' screen.

If you setup a model using dsmx on the Taranis and then upload to Companion and then save back to the Taranis, all of your DSMX settings get switched to LP45

When using the "simulate TX" option in companion 1.52, the firmware shows as version 2834. (though I could be doing something wrong here)

Sorry if these are already known issues or if they are being discussed somewhere else.
aV8erUK

Post by aV8erUK »

Hi
I've made a module for my Taranis that works nicely :) See this thread

I've left all unused pins on the 5 pin Taranis connector, and the Dx4e module, floating. Is this OK?
IMG_3036-001.JPG
aV8erUK

Post by aV8erUK »

EjectSteve wrote:I noticed a potential problem with Companion 1.52 and OpenTX 2923. In Companion9x with LP45 or DSMX, you get the message "EEprom saved with these warnings: opentx doesn't accept this protocol" when you attempt to simulate from the 'edit model' screen.

If you setup a model using dsmx on the Taranis and then upload to Companion and then save back to the Taranis, all of your DSMX settings get switched to LP45

Sorry if these are already known issues or if they are being discussed somewhere else.
I see the LP45 issue mentioned above, but the Tx still operates the Rx, so it seems it's only an indication issue.

If I simulate the Tx, there are no DSM2/DSMX options when using the simulated screen and buttons. Just mentioning this in case it's not a known issue.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

Is there information on what to expect with this first release of DSM2 support for opentx on Tarnis? We know of some irregularities with Companion transfers and there were RX-number issues during testing, but with the ‘production release’, I’m not sure of the limitations.

Is the only ‘bullet proof’ option to use DSM2 instead of DSMX and stay below RX number 20?

Is DSMX implemented? You can choose dsmx and it binds, but I don’t know which protocol is binding or if you can have a mix of RXs bounds with dsm2 and dsmx settings. Is there a limitation on switching back and forth? I have found that when I use dsmx for everything, I occasionally have to rebind, but I haven’t figured out the pattern yet. I know for sure that when I bind some RX’s with DSM2 setting and some with DSMX I have to rebind more often.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The release doesn't let you choose Rx numbers >20.

DSM2/DSMX is handled by the module, in just the same way as when it was in its original radio.
When the radio is set to DSMX, the module will auto-choose based on the receiver capabilities. When set to DSM2, then it's forced in DSM2 mode and won't do DSMX at all.
If you set DSM2 for your models that have DSM2-only RXs you should never have to rebind.

The Spektrum system is messy.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

So there should be no problem choosing dsmx for everything since it auto switches? Since I'm setting everything for dsmx, but I have a mix of aircraft that support both protocols (some are dsm2 only), is that why I have to rebind?

Most of my spektrum BnF are mini so I don't care, but I have a visionaire and heli's with beastx, so I would prefer DSMX on those aircraft.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I am not sure actually. I don't know if that module does the auto switching at every power up, or only at binding time. If it's only at binding time, if you set all models to DSMX, bind a DSMX model, the module would now be transmitting DSMX. If you change to another model that is set to DSMX but with a DSM2 receiver, it would still be transmitting DSMX -> Doesn't work. But setting that model to DSM2 would force the module to send out DSM2 with that model, and thus it would work.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

Kilrah wrote:The release doesn't let you choose Rx numbers >20.
I'm able to choose from 0 to 63 for dsm2 and dsmx, although now I'm using 2940.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Kilrah wrote:I am not sure actually. I don't know if that module does the auto switching at every power up, or only at binding time. If it's only at binding time, if you set all models to DSMX, bind a DSMX model, the module would now be transmitting DSMX. If you change to another model that is set to DSMX but with a DSM2 receiver, it would still be transmitting DSMX -> Doesn't work. But setting that model to DSM2 would force the module to send out DSM2 with that model, and thus it would work.
In the Spektrum setup, everything is automatic. The transmitter learns the type of receiver at initial bind and stores it with the model memory. Next time, it knows whether the receiver needs DSMX or DSM2.
I was under the impression that the hack worked the same way.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

With the "advanced" radios yes as the module can talk back to the radio. But the modules we take from the "dumb" DX4e / DX5 are different and one-way only, they can't report the mode that is used to the radio.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

Does that make sense? The dx4e and dx5 seem to be able to switch back and forth when they are connected to their original 'host' radio. But then again, I'm way out of my expertise here. If this is the case, would it make sense (or work) to force the module to use DSMX when DSMX is selected? If the RX doesn't understand than you would have to manualy choose the DSM2 setting. This way the module will automatically be switched to the correct protocol. No worries if this is no or low priority, I just want to understand how the features work as-is. For instance, I didn't know that Companion doesn't handle the dsm2/dsmx protocols well when you save back to the radio. Knowing, now I can deal with it :-)

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”