Taranis and flight simulators

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
TrueBuild

Re: Taranis and flight simulators

Post by TrueBuild »

Kilrah wrote:Driver is libusbx which means that you installed Zadig on the joystick device, which you should NOT have, it works out of the box. Now this driver needs to be uninstalled, but it looks like the Uninstall button is unavailable, so I have no idea how to do it. There might be an Uninstall button in the Devices and Printers window.
He should be able to remove it in Computer Management/Device Manager.
At least I would in windows 7 ultimate. I do not have a windows 8/8.1 near me now so I cannot check (Not a fan of windows 8/8.1)

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Well hopefully, but the captures he took from said device manager in his previous post show the Uninstall button is disabled.
MrClean

Post by MrClean »

Ahhhhh, see last weekend I tried to get this working, using old and wrong info OR just bad assumptions (I mentioned operator error didn't I?). I lost communications with my Taranis and finally got it back by deleting multiple installs of the drivers from Zadig. I would un-install the driver, un plug and replug the radio and the driver would still be there. When I got to the point that the driver wasn't there I re-installed the driver from Zadig and got my radio back up and working with Companion 2.0.latest version.
What I didn't think to do was to go in at Joystick mode and do the same thing, which I just did.

So, now it works. Again, two un-installs to get to a no drivers found. Then PoPo of the computer and CRRC started to see the sticks wiggle. Calibrated and flew a bit then loaded up RC Deskpilot and it now works too.

Thank you fellas.

Now, anybody know a nice, free simulator that has Quads in it?
CraigKane

Post by CraigKane »

Can anyone help me out?

I've got the Taranis set up on Phoenix 5 & RealFlight 7.5 but the models only work on 4 channels.
When I go through the calibration options in each program, the switches I've assigned for flaps, gear etc are being detected but there is nothing happening on the models.

I used various model profiles from my planes - nothing. All the expos etc transferred but nothing else.
I downloaded the simulator eepe files from RCSettings.com but the same thing happened.

I'm sure it's something obvious but I can't see it.
FrSky convert! Farewell Spektrum!
TrueBuild

Post by TrueBuild »

I have no experience with commercial software; however I would like your views on how good those two are.

Getting back to your problem...
For the none commercial software that I have used you must have...
Internal Radio System OFF
External Radio System OFF
Trainer Mode Slave
Start channel to match you software and the number of Channels used
PPM frame Length , Polarity and PPM delay to match your software.

So if you are using an actual plane you fly you need to make a copy and rename it to indicate it is a sim and set the above.

Hope that helps till someone who uses your software can help.

CraigKane

Post by CraigKane »

TrueBuild wrote:I have no experience with commercial software; however I would like your views on how good those two are.

Getting back to your problem...
For the none commercial software that I have used you must have...
Internal Radio System OFF
External Radio System OFF
Trainer Mode Slave
Start channel to match you software and the number of Channels used
PPM frame Length , Polarity and PPM delay to match your software.

So if you are using an actual plane you fly you need to make a copy and rename it to indicate it is a sim and set the above.

Hope that helps till someone who uses your software can help.

Thanks for the reply.
I've already done all that but it still doesn't work.

On the whole, Phoenix is a very good platform. Simple enough to use and it looks good. I'm slowly getting there with RF 7.5, it seems to be a lot more powerful but until I can get the Tx issues sorted out I won't be able to compare the two.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Did you program the necessary switches, etc. in Taranis? Unless you did, you will only have a basic four-channel model. The first thing to do before even bothering to hook up to Phoenix or RF is to go to the graphic output screen on Taranis and make sure it is generating outputs on all eight channels.
CraigKane

Post by CraigKane »

[quote="Daedalus66"]Did you program the necessary switches, etc. in Taranis? Unless you did, you will only have a basic four-channel model. The first thing to do before even bothering to hook up to Phoenix or RF is to go to the graphic output screen on Taranis and make sure it is generating outputs on all eight channels.[/quote

Yes I did.

the model I m using as a template has flaps, retracts and airbrakes installed so all switches are programmed.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

And you verified that you are actually seeing the correct output on those channels in the Channel Monitor screen?

And the model Trainer setting is "Slave"?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I hooked up my Taranis to Phoenix and all channels are working correctly.
CraigKane

Post by CraigKane »

Daedalus66 wrote:I hooked up my Taranis to Phoenix and all channels are working correctly.
Would you mind sharing the .eepe for that setup so that I can compare with my own and see where I am going wrong?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Will do a bit later today. I only did a quick and rough setup to make sure it worked.

Meanwhile, could you please confirm that all 7 or 8 channels are working correctly on the Channel Monitor screen. Also that in the Phoenix Model Setup you have Trainer Mode set to Slave. I assume you do, because you are getting Phoenix to respond on the first four channels, but it would be helpful to have you confirm these things.

Also, what version of OpenTX are you using?

Likewise you must have discovered that unlike JR and Spektrum transmitters, Taranis must be turned ON to serve as the student (slave) transmitter. The other thing that throws people off is the idea that the transmitter must be in slave mode to drive a simulator.

EDIT: One more thought: You did go through the full setup and calibration procedure in Phoenix, including setting up channels 5-8? If not, you will only get CH1-4.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Having a bit of trouble with Phoenix right now. It suddenly stopped recognizing ANY transmitter, so not aTaranis issue. Best guess is that it's the cable. So I didn't get the eePe file done and tested.

But really, it's very simple:

Create a new model called Phoenix.
In Model Setup, set Trainer Mode to Slave, set both modules to OFF. Leave protocol to default PPM settings.
Program appropriate switches/sliders for CH5-8
Make sure all channels function correctly using the Channel Monitor screen
Plug in Phoenix cable and get program running
Go through entire new transmitter procedure, paying particular attention to CH5-8.

It should work. Good luck. Let us know.

And wish me luck with mine.
TrueBuild

Post by TrueBuild »

TrueBuild wrote:
I should take this opportunity to report that I have been using the training port of the Taranis using a stereo jack with a open source R/C simulator (CRRCSim) for a number of weeks. CRRCSim
No need now to mess with sound cards just use the option now integrated into OpenTX and use a usb lead.

If you have not yet made a donation to OpenTx and can afford to; Please do :)
CraigKane

Post by CraigKane »

Daedalus66 wrote:Will do a bit later today. I only did a quick and rough setup to make sure it worked.

Meanwhile, could you please confirm that all 7 or 8 channels are working correctly on the Channel Monitor screen. Also that in the Phoenix Model Setup you have Trainer Mode set to Slave. I assume you do, because you are getting Phoenix to respond on the first four channels, but it would be helpful to have you confirm these things.

Also, what version of OpenTX are you using?

Likewise you must have discovered that unlike JR and Spektrum transmitters, Taranis must be turned ON to serve as the student (slave) transmitter. The other thing that throws people off is the idea that the transmitter must be in slave mode to drive a simulator.

EDIT: One more thought: You did go through the full setup and calibration procedure in Phoenix, including setting up channels 5-8? If not, you will only get CH1-4.

All channels are working correctly on both the Tx channel monitor and on the Phoenix calibration screen.
The Tx is set ti slave as I've been flying the sim despite these issues.
I'm running the latest version of Open Tx companion (2.0.15) and the latest Taranis firmware (2.0.15)
Ronaldopn

Post by Ronaldopn »

If you have a spare RX which outputs PPM you can do what I did
http://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com/fo ... 32&t=36475
You just need to find a way to supply voltage to the RX, in my case I used the wireless sim which was not working anymore.
Once you fly wireless you will never switch back to cable :mrgreen:
TrueBuild

Post by TrueBuild »

Ronaldopn wrote:If you have a spare RX which outputs PPM you can do what I did
You just need to find a way to supply voltage to the RX, in my case I used the wireless sim which was not working anymore.
So could this method be used for a wireless simulator and Buddy/trainer connection to a frSky Taranis transmitter?

If I had a Spektrum DX4e and bound it to a LemonRX 6channel DSM2 I presume I would Velcro the LemonRX to the Taranis transmitter.

I'm wondering if I could power the LemonRX of the Taranis extra RF port?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes it's a common setup.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

TrueBuild wrote:
Ronaldopn wrote:If you have a spare RX which outputs PPM you can do what I did
So could this method be used for a wireless simulator and Buddy/trainer connection to a frSky Taranis transmitter?

If I had a Spektrum DX4e and bound it to a LemonRX 6channel DSM2 I presume I would Velcro the LemonRX to the Taranis transmitter.

I'm wondering if I could power the LemonRX of the Taranis extra RF port?
Unfortunately, the 6-channel Lemons don't put out CPPM. The only current Lemon receiver that does is this one:
http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.php? ... uct_id=118
Maximum imput voltage is 7.2v, so it would need separate power.

Alternatively, you could use the Orange R615X (not the R615).
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _CPPM.html

The latter is OK up to 9.6v, so could be run off Taranis provided a standard 6-cell NiMH is being used.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Daedalus66 wrote:Having a bit of trouble with Phoenix right now. It suddenly stopped recognizing ANY transmitter, so not aTaranis issue. Best guess is that it's the cable. So I didn't get the eePe file done and tested.

But really, it's very simple:

Create a new model called Phoenix.
In Model Setup, set Trainer Mode to Slave, set both modules to OFF. Leave protocol to default PPM settings.
Program appropriate switches/sliders for CH5-8
Make sure all channels function correctly using the Channel Monitor screen
Plug in Phoenix cable and get program running
Go through entire new transmitter procedure, paying particular attention to CH5-8.

It should work. Good luck. Let us know.

And wish me luck with mine.
One more key point. I discovered that the problem I was having with using Taranis to drive the Phoenix sim was solved when I set polarity to NEG for the external module.

EDIT Negative is the default but I had changed it to Positive to suit a DM9 module.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”