FrSky officially X9D announcement

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Flaps 30

Re: FrSky officially X9D announcement

Post by Flaps 30 »

SkyNorth wrote:The Sky9x will rise again !
:shock: :o You heard it here first guys!

s_mack

Post by s_mack »

No, I heard it in my email first :)
sandrodadon

Post by sandrodadon »

Is there any new information about batch 2?
Im sitting here without any transmitter ;)

When preordering they said "end of july" but Monday is already the 29th
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Did they specify what year?
sandrodadon

Post by sandrodadon »

s_mack wrote:Did they specify what year?
Damn i guess thats the point :D

TheFlyer

Post by TheFlyer »

Taranis was (shortly) listed at HobbyKing yesterday and is now backorder! :shock:

Anyone knows, how many units of them are on the market now?

Best regards,
Michael
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

Yeah, I got notification about that on facebook and went to their site and it was BK already.

But I hope I will have my Taranis today from LHS. Customs have held their batch of 20 Taranis a couple days now so, they are almost here. :)

p.s: I also take notice that HK version does not have receiver (was it X8R) included. Maybe they open the cases and took them out to sell separately.
What goes up, must come down. -Isaac Newton
OpenTX - expanding possibilities
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

HK apparently sold 300 units in a few hours. The radio is available both with and without receiver from FrSky, so no need to open cases.
Other dealers usually have both packages.

Sent via mobile
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Wow. Frsky must be happy :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

I got mine today. :) LHS ordered transmitters with white and blue backlight and I wanted the white one but today, when LHS got the batch out from the customs they noticed that all was with blue backlight but with 2GB micro-SD card already in place which, I quess doesn't belong to original FrSky setup. :D

But one question. I have modded my T9X to support FrSky telemetry on in-built display. That mod needed some trace to cut for the original Turnigy9x transmitter module. Now if I want to use that module in my new Taranis do I need to do something (connect the traces back) or something else?

Askin because I have 13 planes with FlySky receivers and I'm not going to upgrade all of those at once and some of them not at all (small parkfliers).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Did you do a mod to the FrSky Tx module to get the telemetry as well?
What did you cut on the Flysky module?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

Yes I did. I made the modification without level converter circuit and soldered couple resistors and jumper wires inside of FrSky module.

For FlySky the instuctions (http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Mod_FlySky) said that pin 2 should be isolated and this is what I did. I cut the trace of pin 2 (from the top) of original transmitter module.

So does it matter if I use it with my Taranis?
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

Spoogy wrote:So does it matter if I use it with my Taranis?
No, that should be fine.
The mods to the FrSky module and traces on the back panel of your radio make use of two of the (otherwise unused) module socket pins to carry telemetry data. The unused pin gets isolated on your FlySky module so it doesn't short-to-ground the radio's telemetry data line when you plug in the module. Since the Taranis doesn't have anything on those repurposed pins (AFAIK), there's nothing to short out or leave floating... It's just a functionless pin connected to nothing.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Hmmm

Pretty sure Mike has been discussing this recently and said the mod must be removed!

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Iksbob

Post by Iksbob »

I could see that on the FrSky module, but that's not what we're talking about AFAIK.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Flysky module with traces cut should be fine.

You should be able to plug your FrSky module in to the Taranis OK. As you did the "without level converter" mod yuo won't damage the SPort circuit, however, you will be holding the SPort data line in the 'wrong' state (it expects inverted data), so you may get something odd in the telemetry, but you won't get any valid telemetry from it.

I have posted, somewhere, an alternative mod that may be done to a DJT so it may be plugged into both the Taranis and a modified 9X (using a resistor and a schottky diode). This may be useful if you have some old V series receivers that won't bind to the internal XJT module of the Taranis.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

Hi,

And thanks for the solution. I have no need to plug in my old FrSky DJT module to Taranis because all my receivers should be compatible with Taranis XJT. Only thing was that FlySky module, can that be used after that mod and seems so that I can, so everything is settled now. Thanks for all once again.

By the way. Been playing with Taranis today. Neat thing. ;) Couple things are bothering me about the quality of the product but with that price I can forgive that. ;) Atleast the software is awesome. Going to upgrade it to the latest one tomorrow. :)
Spoogy

Post by Spoogy »

Hello,

Yesterday I took a Taranis and wen't to our clubs flying field with my glow engined Mustang P-51D which has V8FR-II receiver in it. First I find hard time to bind the receiver. Then I read somewhere that jumper need to be used between channels 1 and 2 signal line pins. So I did so, but it still took a couple tries before I got it right.

Anyway, I setup the model memory and all settings what was needed for the plane and up we go. What a joy was that. :) The sticks felt so smooth and accurate. I had a timer to running upwards because I haven't measured how long one tank of fuel lasts in my Mustang, so I just decided that it will last at least 10min. Previously I was forced to listen the beeps for every minute and some phase, during the flight I have been forced to check from the radio what minute is going. Now I don't need to do so. That lady in my radio will announce every minute and that's great. :)

Felt good, radio worked great and whole day was a joy. :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

shame that you're not using a telemetry receiver.. You could monitor your receiver pack voltage and have the lady tell you the voltage or warning you if it goes too low ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

jhsa wrote:shame that you're not using a telemetry receiver.. You could monitor your receiver pack voltage and have the lady tell you the voltage or warning you if it goes too low ;)

João
yeah, and I'll put a fuel sensor in my electric Radian and climb until I run out of gas. :roll: :mrgreen:
He said glow ...
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Of course he said glow.. and the IC planes don't have a battery powering the receiver and servos?? Think a little about what you wrote ;) :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”