Taranis Q X7 International FW connecting XSR-SIM EU LBT or FCC ?

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Robotix

Taranis Q X7 International FW connecting XSR-SIM EU LBT or FCC ?

Post by Robotix »

Not sure if this is more an openTx or FrSky issue but here goes.
I have a Hitec Rovonova RB-01 robot with a board running Lubuntu linux and needed a reliable control method, something tactical, so using a Taranis Q X7 I have for drone stuff, I ordered a XSR-SIM USB adapter from Hobbyking, they only sell the EU version. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/xsr-sim-eu-version.html

So according to the quote below, I am running a Taranis Q X7 with International firmware *see quote below

FrSky only provide firmware for the XSR-SIM as either EU or FCC versions... is one more likely to work than the other with an international Firmwared TX https://www.frsky-rc.com/xsr-sim/

I can't seem to get them to bind, so my question is. With international version on the TX, is it going to work if I flash it with the FCC version or am I am better to adapt the TX to be either FCC or EU ?

Also looking for the next steps of ways to interface C++ apps running on linux to the USB-SIM device, any suggestions on libs they use for the sims would be amazing.

I am in Australia. Cheers for any insight. :D
HOW TO KNOW WHAT FIRMWARE YOUR RUNNING
Go to model setup in your taranis, under "Internal RF", "Mode" and see how many different options you have.
D8, D16, LR12 - if you can select all three then you have the international firmware
D16 only - you have one of the first versions of the EU-LBT firmware. If this is the case you really should update your firmware because it's quite outdated
D16, LR12 - you have the newer EU-LBT firmware, and you can use the radio for both the X-series and L-series receivers (but not the D series)
(These options are TX to RX protocols as explained here: https://oscarliang.com/pwm-ppm-sbus-dsm2...ifference/)

Kilrah

Re: Taranis Q X7 International FW connecting XSR-SIM EU LBT or FCC ?

Post by Kilrah »

You can flash the xsr-sim with international firmware.

It appears as a standard joystick so any lib for that should work.

Note that you might need to plug it in your board after it has booted.
Robotix

Post by Robotix »

Is fcc the same as international sorry but new to the opentx stuff, in the download zip there is 2 files one is -eu and the other is -fcc
Robotix

Post by Robotix »

Yeah good point about the jstick lib, it’s a little limited to lubuntu 10.x due to dropping support for the x86 after that. Board is ROBOARD RB-100
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes fcc is international.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”