X9D+ SE dead after first discharge

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
pintst

X9D+ SE dead after first discharge

Post by pintst »

Hi!

I have had an FrSkyTaranis X9D+ SE for over a year. I picked it up after I received it, flashed latest version of OpenTX on it, and played some Liftoff, and then left it until recently.
Last month I started playing more Liftoff, and bought a Whoop that arrived yesterday, and while I was flying the Whoop the battery voltage warning started going off. After a couple of minutes I turned it off. It never came back up. It has never been charged before (the charger was still wrapped), but it has been connected to USB for over 6 hours total, to play Liftoff, but I think USB does not charge the battery, does it?

Did the battery die? It's a greenish 2000mAh Li MH battery. I tried charging it, the light goes solid green and it never turns off, even after a full night, so I am not sure if it's bad because of being idle for a year. I don't have a voltmeter - just ordered one but it will take a while to arrive - so I was wondering if someone can help me out without ideas of what to try to identify the problem? I'd like to get it repaired and flying again ASAP! :lol:

I suppose it's likely to be the battery, but I don't want to order another one unless I am sure.

pmullen503

Re: X9D+ SE dead after first discharge

Post by pmullen503 »

The USB does not charge the battery! Unwrap your charger and use it.
pintst

Post by pintst »

I know, I tried charging it with the charger. I am not sure if it's the battery or the remote's charging controller, or some other component. It would be great if someone could be so kind and help identifying what's wrong so I do my best to repair it.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Come back when your multimeter has arrived, hard to do anything without.

Unless you have a universal battery charger that does NiMH, then just take the battery out and charge with that.
pintst

Post by pintst »

Just measured the battery voltage: 8.09V
Dang it! Was hoping it was going to be as easy as replacing the battery...

Any tips on how to find out what wrong?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A first test is, with the power switch OFF, connect the radio to the PC with a USB cable. If the PC finds a STM Bootloader device, then the 3.3V regulator and the processor are working OK.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
pintst

Post by pintst »

MikeB wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 pm A first test is, with the power switch OFF, connect the radio to the PC with a USB cable. If the PC finds a STM Bootloader device, then the 3.3V regulator and the processor are working OK.
Yes, it detects STM32 BOOTLOADER.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”