RSSI Telemetry Value on G-RX8 and XM+ redundancy mode

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Clegane

RSSI Telemetry Value on G-RX8 and XM+ redundancy mode

Post by Clegane »

Hello

A quick question:

It is possible to run to receivers in redundancy mode for example an G-RX8 as master w.telemetry and a XM+ as Slave.
Only thing is that telemetry has to be disabled on one of the receivers, in my case it will be the XM+ there is without telemetry since G-RX8 has VarioMeter which i use in my glider.

Now my question is, is the RSSI telemetry Feedback i get on my screen only for the Master RX or will the Slave RSSI also be sent over the SBUS to the Master and shown on my screen.

Also if the signal is strongest on the Slave (XM+) which has Telemetry disabled, will i loose my telemetry data/link until i go back on master?

Thanks in advance :D

Kilrah

Re: RSSI Telemetry Value on G-RX8 and XM+ redundancy mode

Post by Kilrah »

Telemetry comes only from the main RX and yes you will lose telemetry if it switches to the backup. This however only happens if the main receiver loses signal completely, there is no signal strength comparison.
Clegane

Post by Clegane »

Hey Kilrah

Thanks for feedback :)

To sum up:
The RSSI signal will only be from the Master and never the Slave and all telemetry will be lost in case of complete Master signal loose.
rcyoda

Post by rcyoda »

I believe this is correct, as XM+ is only sending SBUS signal back to the master. Plus there is no telemetry link from XM+ back to the transmitter. Hence there is no way to send anything else than current channel status via SBUS to the master.
Clegane

Post by Clegane »

Yes if SBUS only sends channels it make sense that all telemetry only works when the Master is the active receiver.

rcyoda

Post by rcyoda »

Yeap, SBUS is channel only link.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Clegane wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:36 am Now my question is, is the RSSI telemetry Feedback i get on my screen only for the Master RX or will the Slave RSSI also be sent over the SBUS to the Master and shown on my screen.
There is a little workaround to see RSSI from XM+ too, but of course only if the G-RX8 telemetry link is active. Connect XM+ analog RSSI out to G-RX8 AIN2. XM+ RSSI can then be seen in A2 telemetry field. With a matching ratio parameter it can be scaled the usual way for RSSI: 0-100 (with 3.3V = 100). So you can estimate, how good the XM+ RSSI is, compared to G-RX8 RSSI.
Clegane

Post by Clegane »

Okay FrSky uses S.BUS.
But i know from experience that Futaba can send telemetry data on the S.BUS, but they are also labeled S.BUS 2 on the devices.
Could that be one of the improvements/different from S.BUS to S.BUS 2?

That's a smart work around for the XM+ RSSI :D Thanks for the inspiration :)

Just ordered 2 set of G-RX8 and XM+ so look forward to install on set in my glider and go hunt some thermals :)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes telemetry on the same line is an Sbus2 feature.
Clegane

Post by Clegane »

Super :)

Hopefully FrSky will add S.BUS 2 to receivers in the future.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”