Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
ronny1407

Re: Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Post by ronny1407 »

MikeB wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:46 pm Are you able to test this module in the trainer mode to another Tx with a BT module from FrSky?
I only have the q7 so i can't test it.
MikeB wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:46 pm In particular, it seems you are testing it in 'slave' mode.
Right.
MikeB wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:46 pm When using a HM-10 module, I've found it is using a different "UUID" value that means it doesn't 'talk' to a FrSky module.
Do you set a Local addr/Dist addr?
Do you try to change the UUID of the module (AT+UUID0xAAA0)?

Ronny

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm using ersky9x, not openTx, so the setting operation is different. I have bluetooth modules scan for slaves, and keep a list of up to 4 slaves to which you are able to connect. I will be adding an option to choose the UUID to allow operation with both FrSky and non-FrSky modules.
You may well find that the AT commands used by the HM-11 and the FrSky module are slightly different, so using the HM-11 in master mode may not work.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ronny1407

Post by ronny1407 »

MikeB wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:25 pm You may well find that the AT commands used by the HM-11 and the FrSky module are slightly different, so using the HM-11 in master mode may not work.
I see, the HM-11 don't understand '"AT+TXPW3' and so nothing works. I can connect to the Taranis but i get no Telemetry-Data. The HM-11 also send no Peripheral or Central so the bluetooth Code won't work with HM-11.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have a search for "bluetooth40_en.pdf". This gives details of the commands the HM-10 (and HM-11) use.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Are we any closer to getting the Frsky Bt board working in a non S Qx7?
Main interest is to just get it working to recommended or not, it’s usefulness. Still no detailed reports or videos on how well it works in the Qx7S for the hype and increased price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Not yet! I've been getting r221 of ersky9x released, together with r422 of eepskye.
I now have 5 (or 6) different bluetooth modules (HC-06, HC-05, HM-10, CC-41[HM-10 clone] and the FrSky Horus one [X9E is completely different]). I'm looking to support all of these, although I may leave the CC-41 out since it is possible to re-flash it to be a 'real' HM-10.
These have slightly different "AT" commands and responses, so I'm trying to package these to allow the installed module to be selected from the menu.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I have 2 HM-10 clones. Bought them for testing. But if the HC-05 can do all the BT4.0 does, then I might stick with the HC-05 I have installed in all my radios. I don't have any Taranis or Horus.. All my radios are 9x with 9XT, Skyboard, and ar9x boards, and also a 9XR-PRO.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thank you for the update. Low priory but interested to know what if any will be the outcome.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

ShowMaster wrote:Are we any closer to getting the Frsky Bt board working in a non S Qx7?
Main interest is to just get it working to recommended or not, it’s usefulness. Still no detailed reports or videos on how well it works in the Qx7S for the hype and increased price?

I’m just renewing my interest in this.
Still not much out there on how it works in the 7S.
That and I had hoped that Frsky had shared schematics (NDA) for the 7 and 7 S to see what if there’s a difference in boards like missing traces.
Something that couldn’t be directly shared but could possibly be hinted at?
I’ve yet to see a 7s to be able to do any visual of its board vs my 7.
There are so may standard Qx7’s in use at my field now that getting the Frsky wireless Bt working in the Qx7 could actually be worth it if is does work.
Too bad if it works well, that Frsky couldn’t have offered a Bt diy option (plug in) to all Qx7 owners as RC training is an important part of attracting new flyers into the hobby. Yes there’s the trainer cord option but wireless is so nice once you try it.
Yes a wireless module can be used ( my current setup), or a receiver buried in the case, but again, the main board is setup for the Bt option if made to work.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I haven't had time to progress using the BT module as supplied by FrSky yet. I have heard that using trainer with that module may not work very well.

My QX7 (not s) does have a HC-05 (BT 2.0) module in it, and this is working fine using ersky9x. I don't believe openTx has ever supported this module.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks Mike. The way it’s looking Frsky’s attempt at Bt is a bust.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

They should have asked Mike.. He knows how to, and Ersky9x has it for ages. :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Agreed!
Thanks to Mike, we have many features that would never have been added by Frsky or the opentx team!
I sure don’t miss Zadig!

Daedalus66

Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Post by Daedalus66 »

I remember when we were on the beta test team for the 9XR Pro in early 2014. I was helping Muchy write the manual that explained how to install and upgrade ErSky9x using Zadig. It was hard.

Then Mike developed the boot loader and the problems largely went away. Zadig was reduced to a last resort, to be used only when the Tx was thoroughly bricked. I was seriously grateful.

Then he applied the boot loader to OpenTX and also saved the Taranis crowd (which included me) from Zadig.
Olioli99

Post by Olioli99 »

Hi,

YOu wrote in one post the hc-05 has to be modified:
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7640

PLease which part is mandatory - I read it a few time but couldn't find the particular point.

Regards
ronny1407

Post by ronny1407 »

Kilrah wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 am Here are files attached, you need to use this to program an arduino with and load the bootloader:
https://github.com/RedBearLab/CCLoader

Then use TI's SerialBootTool to flash firmware:
http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php ... _1_3_2.zip
YES YES YES, thanks a lot!
rcfish

Post by rcfish »

Hello,

I just had an idea. I don't know if it is possible but I wanted to share my idea anyway.
I wondered if it is possible to install a software related power switch for the bluetooth module with a transistor and one of the processor pins that normally can be used for extra switches. My Problem with the BT module is that I am getting telemetry data lost warnings when I'm using a D4R-II. In addition it saves battery power, althought it shouldn't be that much. What do you think about this idea?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Which BT module (FrSky or HC-05) and with radio firmware?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
rcfish

Post by rcfish »

Hc-05 and ersky9x

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It should be possible. I'd need to add a hardware option to set one of the switch signals as a BT module enable, another option somewhere to turn the module on and off, and the low level code to actually do the operation.
I've made a note about this, but it may take a while to sort out (and I may need to add a transistor switch to my X7 to test it).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Would it be possible to add something like this to the other Ersky9x radios?

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
rcfish

Post by rcfish »

Cool :D
I can help you testing if it is needed.
Maybe you programm it the way it is when you select internal / external rf module. I had another idea I think it would be cool to know wether the BT is active or not without going into the BT menu. My idea was to add an indicator (maybe the bt symbol or just the letters BT) to the „normal“ screen next to the clock. (take a look at the picture)
IMG_5582.JPG
What do you think about it? :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

jhsa wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:47 pmWould it be possible to add something like this to the other Ersky9x radios?
In theory, but they all have different possible "spare" signals, if they have any at all, so would take time to allow selection and configuration.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:46 pm In theory, but they all have different possible "spare" signals, if they have any at all, so would take time to allow selection and configuration.

Mike
Thanks Mike, For some of the radios that normally do not have a module switching circuit, there is (as you know) the little board I made that allows to switch the power to the modules, together with your implementation in ersky9x. Perhaps would be possible to use the same system somehow, using an existing pin used by something else. This means that the pin would send a signal that the board would understand and switch the BT module ON or OFF. Then, the pin would continue to do whatever it is assigned to.. Just an idea.. another possibility would be an arduino, or that other IC we once looked at, that would give us more IO pins

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Thinking about this, it would be good if we didn't need to use another I/O pin at all. To support the HC-05 (and some other modules) we have TxD, RxD and a control signal. I could either send a "line break", on the TxD signal, of two different lengths that is detected by a circuit to turn the power to the BT module on and off, or a single length "line break" and use the logic level on the control signal to specify "on" or "off".

Using the two different lengths might be better as it only uses the TxD signal, and a single input to the external circuit.
The baudrate used is a minimum of 9600, so a "line break" is the TxD signal low for more than around 1mS. I could send either 2mS or 4mS of "line break", 2mS of on and 4mS for off. The circuit would need to test for the TxD signal being held low for more than, say, 1.5mS, then check if it is low for more than 3mS to detect the power change request. I would think the power should default to off.

Maybe a Tiny85, or similar, could handle 3 power control circuits, two for modules and one for BT.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Good idea Mike, I already use the Tiny85/45 for my module switcher circuit.
If we do this the way you described, would you mind leaving the other way also in, as some of us might have already working las it is now and wouldn't want to mess with it, and don't mind using another little board for the BT? (and who knows in the future, WIFI? ;) :) )

Also, if implementing the idea you have just described, would it be a problem when turning modules on at the right time when programming the multiprotocol module?? Perhaps it would be better to keep this device switching separate from each other?

Thank you.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be!
The TxD line is a logic level, serial data signal, so idles at a logic '1' (high voltage). When sending data it switches between high and low, but is always high for some of the time. Simply holding the signal low (as I do for the RF modules) should be sufficient for a power control circuit to turn the power off. I have an idea for such a circuit and I'll try to prototype it over the next few days.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That can be done with an ATtiny, or you have another type of circuit in mind?
If it is the same as you do for the power modules, than the circuit I use will work without modification??

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just tested a circuit that uses 4 resistors, 2 (bipolar) transistors and a capacitor. Seemed to generally work fine. It would probably be better if the power switch transistor is a P-channel MOSFET, but I don't have any I can plug into a breadboard for testing.
Powered from 3.3V, the PNP switch dropped 0.15V with a load of around 25mA (a resistor).
For the BT module, if it has a 3.3V regulator, we could switch 5V to it, then the voltage drop across the switch transistor would not matter anyway.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This is basically the circuit I've been testing:
BTpower.png
BTpower.png (4.41 KiB) Viewed 25283 times
As long as TxD is high, Q1 is on so Q2 is on and the BT module receives power.
When TxD goes low, Q1 switches off, but Q2 is held on while capacitor C1 discharges. As long as TxD goes high again before C1 discharges (too much), C1 gets charged back up and Q2 remains on.

It should be possible to replace Q2 with a MOSFET, with some other circuit changes, but the MOSFET will need to switch on with a gate voltage of 2.5 to 3 volts, and supply enough current for the module.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”