Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
rcfish

Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Post by rcfish »

Hello,
I ordered a taranis qx7 and i wondered if it's possible to install a bluetooth modul internally.
As you propably know there's a free space for a bluetoothmodul (only installed in qx7s). Is it posible to solder in a bluetooth modul(f.e. a hc05) or not?
I think I'm going to use ersky9x.
https://imgur.com/JtFT9v3

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Post by MikeB »

I haven't enabled any bluetooth support in ersky9x for the QX7 yet.
In theory, I should be able to support a HC-05 fairly easily since I have this working in ersky9x on other radios.
It is possible to purchase the spare part BT module for the Horus and fit that. I still need to look into adding support for that module, it is on my "To Do" list.
What you wish to use the BT module for may define which module is best to fit.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
rcfish

Post by rcfish »

Thanks for your respond. I would like to connect it to the pc(btw is it posible to fly wireless simulator on a pc?) and i want to use it to lock telemetry data on my phone.
rcdish
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Either module is likely to connect to your phone, but the module that fits the QX7 is a BT 4.0 Low energy module and Windows doesn't support that without a special program being written to communicate with it.
I don't know of a way to use BT as a wireless simulator connection, but ersky9x does support using the USB as a joystick.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Want wireless Simulator?? ;) :D

Here, I built this one.. :)

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=9625

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

rcfish

Post by rcfish »

jhsa wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:46 pm Want wireless Simulator?? ;) :D

Here, I built this one.. :)

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=9625
This looks interesting. :)
MikeB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:26 pm Either module is likely to connect to your phone, but the module that fits the QX7 is a BT 4.0 Low energy module and Windows doesn't support that without a special program being written to communicate with it.
But isn't it possible to still wire in a "normal" bluetooth modul? I think the low energy module uses 3.3v but a "normal" one uses 3.6-6v. So it would need a 5v power source somewhere. Or do i got something wrong?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

As Mike said above , Bluetooth support on the QX7 is still not implemented.
On the other radios with Ersky9x you can use the bluetooth for trainer purposes, or to send telemetry to an Android app that is able to read it.
You can also use the bluetooth to communicate with eepskye on the PC, and receive the channel information, as well as display the radio screen on the computer monitor...
But apparently, sending channels to the PC via Bluetooth is still not possible.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Give me a couple of days to wire a HC-05 in to my QX7. As the QX7 uses the same USART as one option on the 9Xtreme, I have the code to drive it readily available, so I've already built ersky9x for the QX7 with bluetooth support for a HC-05 (and HC-06!).

I need to document how to wire the HC-05 to the QX7 main board. From experience on other radios, using the 3.3V supply directly to the HC-05 works OK.

Note that the HC-05 is BT 2.0 and the BT modules in the FrSky X9E, QX7 and Horus are BT 4.0 LE. BT 2.0 and BT 4.0 LE do NOT "talk" to each other.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
rcfish

Post by rcfish »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:09 pm Give me a couple of days to wire a HC-05 in to my QX7. As the QX7 uses the same USART as one option on the 9Xtreme, I have the code to drive it readily available, so I've already built ersky9x for the QX7 with bluetooth support for a HC-05 (and HC-06!).

I need to document how to wire the HC-05 to the QX7 main board. From experience on other radios, using the 3.3V supply directly to the HC-05 works OK.

Note that the HC-05 is BT 2.0 and the BT modules in the FrSky X9E, QX7 and Horus are BT 4.0 LE. BT 2.0 and BT 4.0 LE do NOT "talk" to each other.

Mike
Your are so fast... I can't wait to see it.
I think bluetooth simulator would be pretty cool, but I've got no idea how hatd this might be. :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, we already have the bluetooth communication coming from eepskye to the radio, but i guess it is different, right? The joystick is seen as a HID device by the computer, correct?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, bluetooth looks like a serial connection, and the joystick is a USB HID.

I've now got a HC-05 wired into my QX7 and the radio is "talking" to it. I now need to sort a few other menu items and make sure all the other support code is working.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think this is working, although it needs a bit more testing. I'll post updated firmware on the test versions thread in a few minutes.
This is where to wire the HC-05 to the QX7 main board:
Qx7BT.jpg
You will need to modify the HC-05 as shown here: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7640, in order for the control signal to work.

There will probably need to be a few minor changes, you may find that you need to use the MENU button (centre on the left) instead of the encoder button, in the Bluetooth menu. I need to go through that menu and check it fully.

I've checked trainer over BT, screen dump to eepskye and raw telemetry relay over BT, still to test using eepskye sending controls to the radio over BT (I think that works on other radios).

Mike

I've posted updated firmware on the test versions thread, but it is in the FIFTH post as when I tried to edit the first post, all but one of the attachments disappeared!
erskyTx/er9x developer
rcfish

Post by rcfish »

thats cool. I hope I get my qx7 soon. Can't wait to test it out. :)
floflolapin

Post by floflolapin »

Hi.
I would like to add bluetooth to a x7 to do wireless trainer with a x10. But from what I understand the hc-05 would not talk to my x10s.

Is there a way around that?
What is the différence between hc-05 and hc-06?

Thanks
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

floflolapin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:35 pm Hi.
I would like to add bluetooth to a x7 to do wireless trainer with a x10. But from what I understand the hc-05 would not talk to my x10s.
I am not sure about this.. All i can say is that I have a Bluetooth 4 dongle on my PC, and it talks to my radio's HC-05. Perhaps it is a question of it being backwards compatible or not..
What is the différence between hc-05 and hc-06?
The HC-05 can be configured as Master or Slave by a radio running Ersky9x. The HC-06 is set as slave in the factory.. I believe it can also be programmed as Master, but only when is being produced, but I still haven't seen any configured as Master..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
rcfish

Post by rcfish »

Hey
I have my qsx7 now and I installed ersky9x and a hc06(I only had that one... but I ordered a hc05.)
I don't really understand how to bind it to my pc or phone. Do I have to connect the en pin on a hc06?
Is there a way to see if the radio talks to the bluetooth module?
rcfish
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No you don't need to connect the EN signal to a HC-06.
Go to the radio setup/Bluetooth menu, and try setting the name for the module.
On the PC, simply do a search for a new bluetooth device, it should find it. The default code for pairing is 1234.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
rcfish

Post by rcfish »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:37 pm Go to the radio setup/Bluetooth menu, and try setting the name for the module.
I tried to name it "Taranis", but when I go to my PC I can find the bluetooth module still named "hc-06", but I can't connect to it.
I can see the led and it's always just blinking fast(maybe this helps).

BTW on the statistics page the "page" button goes backward. Should it be like this?
rcfish

Edit: I thought on the picture you postet was the taranis pinout but it was the bt so I connect rx/tx the wrong way. :roll:
The renaming is working now. i have to check if everythings working.
Thanks for adding bluetooth to the qx7 :)
floflolapin

Post by floflolapin »

Thanks for your replies.

I just saw that horusrc has released the bt module for x10/12 as a spare.

Could we use that? Is there an advantage in doing so?

Also would it work with opentx?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It all depends on what you wish to do with the bluetooth.
The HC-05 and HC-06 are BT 2.0 and the BT modules in the FrSky X9E, QX7 and Horus are BT 4.0 LE. BT 2.0 and BT 4.0 LE do NOT "talk" to each other.
BT 2.0 also supports a "serial profile", so the module may appear on the PC as a serial port. BT 4.0 LE doesn't, so for those you need a custom application written for the PC.
It is possible that openTx does support the BT 4.0 module, but I believe the only use currently available is wireless trainer.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Taranis QX7 bluetooth

Post by ShowMaster »

I haven’t been able to use/turn on, my addition of the Frsky version bluetooth module to my Qx7. The otx menu doesn’t offer a trainer Bluetooth option?
I’ve installed it via a qx7s board picture and it should be correct.
More going on then I’m aware of it seems.
Here’s pictures of my spare Frsky Bt module if they’re of any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
floflolapin

Post by floflolapin »

From the discussion i had with a member of the opentx team on a French forum, the bt module from frsky doesn't come with the firmware flashed. That's why it doesn't work.
The only "easy" way to flash it is to solder it in a horus running FROs. From that it should be flashed automatically...
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thank you for this info. I was hoping it was easier than that but even bad news is helpful for what’s going on.

Sadly this Horus flashing isn’t going to happen as I don’t own or know of anyone that has a Horus. If I do find one, the soldering in and removing of the board isn’t going to be popular with the owner.

So the Bt module has to be flashed and Horus RC sells them blank. In their defense it did say for the Horus. Now it makes sense why it’s blank.
What I would need is one sold as a spare part for the Qx7S?
It would seem to have the fw pre loaded. If not, then otx may be able to flash it once installed.

My only hope to save the 2 I’ve installed is a work around will be found ( not me) to flash these in or out of the Qx7.
I did such a great solder job I hate to think of removing them for flashing.
I do have a spare if anyone could flash it for me. Then maybe I could, with help, download the fw and flash it into the others?

I wanted to try this BT trainer feature in hopes of recommending the S version because of all the added features. As it stands now, the best as I see it, is to buy the $110 or less Qx7 and add the Hall effect gimbals if more precision is needed, when it’s needed.
Then go the Linker or other ppm or Sbus receiver trainer option for wireless trainer.
That setup actually makes the trainer more universal to all Frsky tx’s, and if a dsm2/x receiver is used, even compatible with Spektrum tx’s.
Also the modules will work in my er9x, ersky9x, and HK Pro conversions.

My installed Bt modules/boards don’t seem to be causing any issues so they’ll just stay there until I can find a way to try them.
Having his situation out there now may get some action if patient.
More than was known a week ago, baby steps but moving.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think Mike just implemented the cheap HC-05 Bluetooth module for the Qx7 in the latest Ersky9x version.. It can also do trainer, as well as other cool stuff.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

That Mike is a busy guy! Without you wanting a tx to talk and MikeB coming onboard early on, we’ed still be in the dark ages!
The BT option was more to test Frsky’s than having it. My goal was trainer compatibility between the retail Frsky transmitters offering Bt.
Most Frsky “appliance operator” RC flyers won’t install any Bt or flash to ersky9x.
My goal is to stay with the setup as it comes to better help those with the features. In the case of the Frsky Bt, it’s an easy hardware install in the many Qx7’s showing up at my field the $110 price. I can do the install.
That is if the opentx that’s installed will support it and as just learned, the Bt has the fw installed.
It was going to be a simple attempt to evaluate the Frsky Bt trainer option, not Bt in general.
I’m interested now for the challenge and from reports, I’ll be disappointed. Even so, I want to see for myself if possible.

If I can find a source for a blank pc board with the 5 pin fm module connector pads, as an insert for a empty module case and antenna, I’ll be making up a few with inexpensive receivers to loan out.
I have several Aloft Linker modules with Dr4 or Xr4 receivers in them but I don’t want to lose them if loaned out.
Making a few inexpensive modules will make wireless training a simple plug and train option.
Frsky or Spektrum.
Not for profit.
If the Frsky Bt module was ready to go when I bought and installed it, I was going to try ersky9x to get it going for testing.
MikeB is so fast at making ersky9x updates vs the otx group, that I had faith this would have been old news by now.
To be clear. I’m personally able to use otx or ersky9x at any time. The average modeler I’m seeing these days at my field isn’t! What ever the tx comes with is the last update it’ll get unless I bring my laptop.

Thanks as always for you help and suggestions.
I actually have several HC-05 Bt modules/boards I bought for my diy tx builds.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I forgot to mention that Ersky9x has 4 trainer profiles, meaning that you can have 4 completely different trainer settings for 4 different sudents for example. This includes own calibration for each profile. You can also select trainer source from jack PPM, Jack SBUS, or Bluetooth, which is bidirectional.
Al my radios have a DIY Frsky Compatible receiver installed inside, outputting SBUS. This makes a fantastic wireless trainer. As these don't have telemetry, they don't transmit any signal, and unlike with BT, there is no chance of interference with the main module. There is a project page on this forum explaining how to build one of these little receivers.
Range is very good for a low power RX :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes, I’ve been following your progress.
What do you do about the bind button? My thinking on a readymade internal knockoff, is to parallel the button and run this into the battery compartment?

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The receiver is so small that can be placed under the back PCB, just beside the trainer Jack.

João
Attachments
IMG_20161112_214754.png
IMG_20161113_024832.png
IMG_20161112_214904.png

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm investigating what the situation is, I need to wire up one of those modules, I have a couple from the X9E development, but they may have the wrong firmware in them.

I have support for the HC-05 and HC-06 in ersky9x for the QX7, but these are BT 2.0 that don't "talk" to the BT 4.0 LE module FrSky are using.
I have a couple of HM-10 clones (CC-41). These are BT 4.0 LE modules that look like the HC-05, and wire in the same way. I have some code to get them working, but I haven't fully sorted it yet. The CC-41 version has firmware that is not as good as the original HM-10 firmware. These modules should "talk" to the FrSky ones, but BT 4.0 doesn't have a "serial profile", so getting any of them to "talk" fully to a PC running Windows needs a specific driver sorted.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I’m putting the 4in1 on hold Mike now that I know what happened. This would be better time spent since it’s a question no one has answered to date on how well does the Frsky Bt module work in a Qx7, if added as a diy upgrade.
Since I bought these 3ea ( I can send you my spare) as Horus upgrades, and it would seem there’s no loaded fw, there must be a way the Horus owner flashes it?
That is if that’s how it’s designed to work?
Not much on that in the Horus forums to read up on?
I was cleared to access the Horus beta forum but not much there either or I missed it.
So much mystery in my opinion on a $10 dedicated module?
The results could be disappointing, but either way, we would have the facts and that alone is rewarding.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”