Qx7 unused connectors

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
maxfpv

Qx7 unused connectors

Post by maxfpv »

Inside the taranis qx7 there are two connections labelled p400 and P401 that are unused, does anybody know why they are there or if they could be used for something like extra switches. I have attached a picture.
Attachments
FrSky-Taranis-Q-X7-main-board.jpg

Kilrah

Re: Qx7 unused connectors

Post by Kilrah »

They are 2 extra switch inputs but which do not currently have software support in OpenTX.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have added support for these in recent test versions of ersky9x.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

MikeB wrote:I have added support for these in recent test versions of ersky9x.

Mike.
That’s good to know Mike.
Do you possibly have a pinout or them?
How would one use them, as a 2 pos sw closure, or 3 pos? Maybe with a pot?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

One pin is ground and the other connects to the processor that has an internal pull up resistor. Use them for additional, 2-pos switches, where the switch simply either leaves the two pins unconnected, or shorts them together. They are digital inputs, so no pot possible.
Configuration is done in the Hardware menu where you have two possible extra switches, PB1 and PB2. Set these to use either EXT1 or EXT2 depending on which connector they use.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

maxfpv

Post by maxfpv »

Thanks for the info guys!
ninjazx11

Post by ninjazx11 »

maxfpv wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:57 am Inside the taranis qx7 there are two connections labelled p400 and P401 that are unused, does anybody know why they are there or if they could be used for something like extra switches. I have attached a picture.
Hi folks, Does anyone know the type of connectors used on these 2 plugs?

I am thinking to put 2 extra switches on my qx7 and i need to order matching plug that i can just plug it in.Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm fairly certain they are JST PH and are on a 2mm pitch.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
ninjazx11

Post by ninjazx11 »

MikeB wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:23 am I'm fairly certain they are JST PH and are on a 2mm pitch.

Mike
Thanks a lot Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I now seem to have 2 extra pots fully working on my QX7 with ersky9x. I've wired them up with connectors in line as I haven't decided yet where I'm going to mechanically mount them or whether I want pots or sliders, so I've just got them on flying leads.
I've still to post the firmware, and would advise not actually connecting new pots until you have the firmware installed.
The two signals that were driving the red and blue LEDs in the power switch are on a 15-way connector labelled 'Y'. They are pins 8 and 9 counting from the left. You may simply cut the black wires to access these signals. I happened to have some wires from a similar connector, so I extracted the black wires, with their crimps and plugged in my replacements (the blue and yellow wires near the middle of the connector, not the existing yellow one at the left end), see the picture Analog.jpg.
The new pots also need analog power and analog ground. I obtained these in two ways. First I picked these from the main board, see Power1.jpg. The analog ground from one side of a capacitor (orange wire, looks a bit yellow in the picture), the analog power (3.0V) from a pad labelled "VREF3.0" (brown wire). I used these for one of the pots.
For the second pot, I broke into the power and ground wires going to an existing pot, see Power2.jpg. I cut the existing red and black wires, put a piece of heatshrink over one wire, then soldered them back together, along with a new wire that goes to the new pot. I then slid the heatshrink back over join.

All that then remained to do was go into the hardware menu of the updated firmware, and set POT3 and POT4 to the appropriate sources. Currently, for reasons of how the firmware is structured, these new pots appear as SR and P3, although I will have a change done so they appear as SL and SR.

I now have a slider on the left of my QX7.
A bit of a tight fit, the slider is fixed using hot glue inside, and I also have a HC-05 bluetooth module just beside it and they only just fit.
Mike

Before anyone asks, the wires on the right of Power1.jpg are my connections to the HC-05 bluetooth module.
Analog.jpg:
Analog.JPG
Power1.jpg:
Power1.JPG
Power2.jpg
Power2.JPG
X7Slider1.JPG
X7Slider2.JPG
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Looking good Mike.. It starts looking like my own radios Ha Ha :mrgreen:

You just need a micro DIY Frsky compatible D8 receiver outputting SBUS for a very nice wireless trainer setup. Bluetooth akso works very well, but I was having the odd connection drop when my son moved a little further away from me.
It also transmitts, so there is more chance of interfering with the main module. The DIY receiver only receivers (obviously :) ) and it has better reception. Never tried but I bet it does 100 metres without a problem.. Never had a connection loss.. :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
interestingfellow

Post by interestingfellow »

MikeB wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 pm I now seem to have 2 extra pots fully working on my QX7 with ersky9x.

Is this for all versions of ersky9x, or only x7_romAnalog.zip?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

All versions. I just posted x7_romAnalog.zip originally as the other radios didn't have any changes. I'm currently using R222b3 on my X7.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
interestingfellow

Post by interestingfellow »

Thank you!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

This QX7 radio starts looking very appealing, thanks to Mike and Ersky9x.. :)

Still can't beat my Ar9x and 9xtreme radios though. ;)

Mike, just a little idea. You could probably make it even more flexible, if you would allow the Pot's analogs to be used as 3 position switches.
Imagine someone like me that finds use for only one slider.
I could end up with a slider, 2 normal 2 way switches, and a 3 way switch.. Other conbinations possible, Rotary 6 pos switch for example..
The user could then use the best configuration for him/her. Of course, if an analog input was used for a switch, it wouldn't show as an input for a pot and vice-versa.. This would obviously be configured in the protected Hardware menu..
What do you think?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rcfish

Post by rcfish »

Isn't there even one more input port for the green color? We could use the led without processor pins, couldn't we? :)

rcfish
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've allowed the source of the 6-pos switch to be one of these extra analog inputs in r222b4.
You can, of course, use an analog input as a switch by configuring one or more logical switches, not quite the same as a specific switch but still functional!
I don't see the point of preventing the setting of an analog input as the source of a 3-pos switch and a pot at the same time. It won't cause a failure, you just have to select the correct use when you do any modification.

Yes to the possibility of using the "green" LED signal as another analog input, I've noted it on my (long) "todo" list.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Helle

Post by Helle »

Ah ok Mike,

and what about with the extra switches at X7,X10,X12,X-lite
or Potis with openTX at V2.2.2
or later at V2.2.3 with new EEPROm-Version

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”