Taranis X9D & DSMX hack

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Katuzo

Taranis X9D & DSMX hack

Post by Katuzo »

I have a Taranis X9D, with a V3 transmitter board, running OpenTx 2.2. I just bought a DSM2/DSMX module which has a Spektrum transmitter in it, so that I would be able to fly my planes with a Spektrum receiver. However, I'm having a lot of difficulty making it bind. I tried using the DSM2/DSMX on my friend's x9d+, and experienced the same thing when trying to bind to my DSMX receiver in my Apprentice S. I know, in the past, other people have purchased this hacked module and it ran okay.
Is it possible, that the software has been changed in such a way that it no longer supports this hack?
Is anyone running OpenTx 2.2 successfully with this DSM2/DSMx hack?

Kilrah

Re: Taranis X9D & DSMX hack

Post by Kilrah »

What module exactly?
Katuzo

Post by Katuzo »

It's a modified DM9 (a hack version), that now contains a dx5e transmitter.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Which receiver? The Apprentice S originally had an E-Flite SAFE receiver but now uses an AR636.

I do know that the E-Flite receiver did not work with the DM9. This was acknowledged by Spektrum. Does the modified DM9 you have use a DSM2 module from an early DX5e or a DSMX from a later one?

It would not be surprising if it did not work. I tested the E-Flite and other self-levelling receivers such as Lemon with various modules with very mixed results. The only reliable results were with modules using Multiprotocol (e.g., iRangeX or Orange reflashed).
Katuzo

Post by Katuzo »

I have the original SAFE receiver, and I can't use iRangeX or the Orange at my field because they do not have a FCC sticker on them. The transmitter modules from the DX5e and DX6i and I believe the DX4 are all the same, and have both DSM2 and DSMX. Anyway, for some reason, I'm glad to say, that the DM9 hack is working now, and I have bound both a DSMX plane (my Apprentice S) and a DSM2 plane (J-3 Cub).

Daedalus66

Taranis X9D & DSMX hack

Post by Daedalus66 »

The DX4e units were all DSM2/DSMX. There may have been some early DX5e units that were DSM2 only, but from about 2011, with the advent of DSMX, the two transmitters shared the same 6-channel RF section with the DX6i.

Since the DX5e is the transmitter supplied, until recently, with the RTF version of the Apprentice S, it’s clear that it has to work with the E-Flight SAFE receiver!

So unless something were defective, your hybrid module consisting of a DX5e RF section in a DM9 case certainly should work. Glad to hear you’ve got things going now.

I can report from experience that the DM9 itself does not work with the E-Flite SAFE receiver. Spektrum at one time said they were looking at a fix but nothing seems to have come of it. Of course, the DM9 is ancient technology, one of the very first pieces of DSM2 equipment. I bought mine in summer 2007.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”