Jeti tx Gimbal on Taranis

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
jonathanyeo

Jeti tx Gimbal on Taranis

Post by jonathanyeo »

Hi,

I got two Jeti tx DS Gimbal with Hall sensor ( i believe ) to replace the stock Taranis gimbal..
Thinking it is plug an play...but after I try it out connecting one of the axis to it , it does not seems to be working.

Can any one give me a pointer how to get this to work ?

Jonathan
Attachments
IMG_7664.JPG

jonathanyeo

Re: Jeti tx Gimbal on Taranis

Post by jonathanyeo »

this is how I am trying it now...no luck. :oops:
Attachments
IMG_7665.JPG
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Did you measure the voltages/check what the gimbals expect? Don't look at the wire colors.
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Thanks Kilrah, i got the Taranis part voltage sorted as it outer most is Red = +V , Orange = signal and Brown = ground.
STill working out Jeti tx gimbal side to be sure...
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Hmm,
I try the various combo of wiring , still did not work. Below are what I capture of the A3 and A4 value in different combo.

1) A3=100 A4=-100 Red Orange Brown
2) A3=-16 A4=-8 Brown Orange Red
3) A3=52 A4=-100 Red Brown Orange
4) A3=-38 A4=100 Orange Red Brown
5) A3=-17 A4=-100 Brown Red Orange
6) A3=51 A4=-100 Orange Brown Red

I also try it on my XG8, what ever combo I did, i can see the channel i connected on monitor there id drifting for all combo. You can see the trim on monitor for that channel that it slow move towards one side.

puzzle....

Jonathan
Attachments
IMG_7678.JPG

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Be careful, hall sensors can get damaged if you reverse the voltage or apply voltage to the output pin.
You need to find out where is the positive, ground and signal on the Jeti gimbals, or you can destroy them..
Also, what is the correct voltage for the Jeti gimbals? This is something you must find out before you even connect them to the radio.. Guessing is no good in this case.. :(
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep, given you tried all combinations your $210 gimbal is most likely toast unless you manage to find/replace the hall effct sensors. It's not a passive pot, it's a complex active component that needs proper handling.

It isn't even known if it is compatible/usable at all, some sensors provide a PWM or purely digital output, not an analog voltage, and if it's the case it would need completely different processing from the radio to read it.
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Thanks guys...appreciate it...I know the risk I am taking.
Any idea the Horus circuitry ?
COme across any good info on Jeti gimbal ? Circuitry on DS ?
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

We know the Horus circuit, but that does not matter, the Jeti might have completely different layout and type if hall sensor.
projectkk2glider@github
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Ok... if this is the right hall sensor, The linear Hall IC TLE4998P3, it is in order for repair.
This need 4.5V-5.5V while output is PWM, but work on 3.3V.
Voltage direction is determine, First red should be +V and brown ground and orange signal.

Questions :
1) What type of input Taranis board is expecting ...and voltage ?
2) May be a low pass filter will do the job ? http://provideyourown.com/2011/analogwr ... o-voltage/

Thanks to advice
Jonathan
Attachments
Infineon-TLE4998P-DS-v01_00-en.pdf
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 306 times
Hall Sensor - ping layout.tiff
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

You have a lot of work ahead. That sensor is programmable and probably also needs calibration. After you do that, you will have to produce steady analogue signal in a range from 0 to 3.3V. That is what Taranis expects. So it is not a drop-in replacement.
projectkk2glider@github
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Thanks Guys....really appreciate your comments and guidance,,, it kept me going.

Now I am on to something....Lucky Star is looking after me. All 4 ports working fine.
I guess I have been trying with 3.3V from the Taranis gimbal connection side that did not kill it...as it need 4.5V-5,5V to work.

Now time to figure out how and where to pick 5V supply from Taranis and just use the ground and signal connection on the taranis gimbal connector.
Finger crossed.
Attachments
IMG_7681.MOV
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 1205 times
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you want to consider changes to the radio firmware, the 4 stick inputs to the processor, normally used as analog inputs, may use either timer 2 or timer 5 (both have 4 channels). This means it may be possible to read the PWM signals.
I would need to check, but one of those timers may be available.

WARNING: The analog inputs are limited to 3.3V. If the sensors output a 5V signal, this could damage the processor if directly connected.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Kilrah,

Where is the standard Taranis ( not plus ) the best to get 5V supply to the gimbals ?

Jonathan
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Mike,

Looks like I can pick analog voltage as shown on video... but the highest point is around 3.6V...
what you think , I need to drop it down ?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:
WARNING: The analog inputs are limited to 3.3V. If the sensors output a 5V signal, this could damage the processor if directly connected.

Mike.
Please pay attention to Mike's warning..
If the sensors work with 5V, they will very likely output 5V, they could damage your Taranis. You can probably use a voltage divider to reduce the level to 3.3V between the output and the taranis analog inputs.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Mike, Joao,

I totally understand ... I had a voltage boaster in the earlier video from 1s to constant 5.1V.

I tried just now having 1S feed straight and remove boaster.... wah la ....I got the output voltage range from 0V to 3.05V. Exactly what the standard gimbal is outputing....

Now any idea where I can get 4V to 4.5V from Taranis ?

"The linear Hall IC TLE4998P datasheet :
The output stage is an open-drain driver pulling the output pad to low only. Therefore, the high level must be obtained by an external pull-up resistor. This output type has the advantage that the receiver may use even a lower supply voltage (e.g. 3.3 V). In this case, the pull-up resistor must be connected to the given receiver supply."
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Can I run taranis on 1S 4000mah ? currently I am running 3S 2500mah....
If yes, I could pick 1st voltage from switch VCC input directly to power the gimbal.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

jonathanyeo wrote:Where is the standard Taranis ( not plus ) the best to get 5V supply to the gimbals ?
There is no 5V in the Taranis, it's a pure 3.3V design. You'll need your own regulator.

It seems you then have 2 solutions:
- Use a filter to convert the PWM to a voltage, it might be hard to find correct values without proper measuring equipment (oscilloscope)
- Modify OpenTX to read the PWM signal as it comes out of the sensor.

In both cases as the sensor has an open drain output as long as you make sure to pull that up only to the 3.3V supply it's safe for the Taranis.

And no for supplying the radio with 1s, the RF module needs at least 6.5V and even if you were not using that the regulation margin of the 3.3V regulator means you would not be able to use much of your battery's capacity.
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

ignored. solved
Last edited by jonathanyeo on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Kilrah, Mike,

Ok...I solve the voltage problem with a boaster getting the power from Taranis , and the output is good range of 0V to 2.7V and will not kill the taranis.

You can see form the video the throttle/alieron stick is feeding into taranis and seem in the calibration screen. But it is "jumping" around...
I believe this is due to PWM.

https://youtu.be/gs3TvgpeR2o

Can you guide me how do it modify OpenTX to read PWM using timer 5 ?

Much appreciated.

Jonathan
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Kilrah, Mike,

I have tried quite a few combo of resistor/capcitor of low pass filter , it is clear to me this is not the right option. As it will reduce the performance/precision of moving to Jeti gimbal in the first place.

I think going timer 5 channel to read PWM, modifying openTX is a better option to leverage the performance of the gimbal.
Please point me the direction to go.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you ever done any programming to control peripherals in embedded processors?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Mike,
that will be too much for me.
Jonathan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I thought that might be the case, that's why I asked!
Going back to the low pass filter. With these, you have the problem that filtering it well enough to provide a steady voltage is likely to slow the response to stick movements. I believe the hall sensor has a selectable frequency output. You need to set this to the highest frequency you can.
Them a simple low pass filter is a single resistor followed by a capacitor. What you may need to do is have two stages, so resistor followed by capacitor feeding a second resistor/capacitor pair. This can improve the filtering while still providing a good response.
Also, if openTx still supports it, choose FILT as the stick input option rather than OSMP or SING.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

MIke,

WHile I am not very good with it, i do work with someone locally to make it work for me and in collaboration with other on the forum. We did get multiplex MLINK telemetry feeding back into Taranis display and used for all other scripts. I am flying it with my DLG now and working fine for me for 3 weeks already. This is using arduino environment and with nano and eventually using teensy which I have setup and able to upload/download and have them really to build my old vario soon also.

Appreciate if you can point me the direction of getting PWM from the gimbal into it...
I am quite a persistent person if i know there is a solution that can be make.
I love to have the Taranis as the platform with good hardware ... but Horus is too heavy, just like my JR28x seating around due to weight and logging.
Would eventually like to try to build different firmware for my specific use.

PS : low pass filter, have been trying with 1 stage...will have a try on 2 stage with lot of components and easy to get access to if i need more with the electronic supply malls in 30mins from my place.

Thanks in advance
Jonathan
Attachments
IMG_7691.JPG
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

An example of capturing pulse lengths with a timer can be found in the trainer port driver.
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Mike, Kilrah,

Thanks for the 2 stage low pass filter...it work out quite well ( pending real live flying test ).
I am using 10K resistor with 0.68uf capacitor for stage one cut-off Frequency of 23Hz...and then 20K resistor with 0.68uf capacitor for a cut off of 11Hz. Do you expect any issue with this ? It seems to work well on benchmark and driving the DLG in all control movement with no noticeable drop in response.

I know only need to flip the horizontal stick to reverse for both Alieron and Rudder ( Mod 1 )...
see video : https://youtu.be/2pLNphr5d5k

I am having a block here...how do you flick the stick direction move right, the calibration also display moving right ( it is moving left now ). And the channel is responding as with the display ...so I should not just change the channel direction, but change the stick direction.

How do I do this in Taranis ? Just this and I am out real life flying.

Thanks in advance
Jonathan
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Update : Maiden test flown

Update : Test flown my DLG with great success...very happpy. Smooth.
https://youtu.be/WJL3prFgDug

Still need to figure out how to reverse the stick..so i dont have to change my channels and it is not so intuitive to work with reverse sticks.

Jonathan
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi jonathanyeo,

Your youtube video is not working.

I get: (We're processing this video. Check back later. Sorry about that.)

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”