Mlink-FrSky-Telemetry converter

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
kalle123

Re: Mlink-FrSky-Telemetry converter

Post by kalle123 »

Jonathan, no news from Tobi and I am stuck wit a simple data logger :(

jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

KH,

How are things ? We got caught up with DLG practise for a contest just pass weekend...
some work being done but now using a new teensy 3.2 instead of the ardiuno nano ....but in arduino environment.

This is because we feel the soft serial is not fast enough...so we use this as it have 3 hardware serial and also run 3.3V.
Now the initialization is no a problem anymore...and it seems like we are getting altimeter on screen right but RSSI we have to decide how and what to shows as you don;t always get RSSI with each packets of data...

Today did a live test, while reading of the screen is reasonable...the logging on taranis and the mpx logger output very different....so more work need to be done....we might be having an issue as my buddy coding is use Taranis x9D plus while I am the original X9D. SOmeone were telling me there are difference on the telemerty end of the two hardware. :-(

PS : Will get the source code later and it is coded in arduino with teensy...I have not been able to get it to work properly on my mac yet to be able to change the code and download tho my module.something to do with my mac not seeing the board.

Jonathan
Attachments
MSB_0096.csv
(60.72 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Fb_mpx-2016-02-01.csv
(281.66 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
taranis.eepe
(76.03 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
IMG_7517.JPG
IMG_7518.JPG
IMG_7519.JPG
IMG_7520.JPG
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Hi Jonathan.

You seem to be the only one, who is making progress. :roll:
Here in Germany it winter, stormy and cold. No flying weather.
I am busy with that other project, the gps logger at the moment and I am waiting, that Tobi shows up again.

Besides, I don't see an issue with the software serial port on arduino. FrSky is 9600 baud, which should do.

br KH
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Jonathan. Just found that here
screenshot_10.png
in -> http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php? ... post918729

Seems promising. He is using a teensy. Shall watch it!!

br KH
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

KH,

I had to change my macbook, now I could not get my arduino environment to work with my mac.

My buddy have refine the code and got me two version to test, but I could not download to test yet. :-(

Are you able to try....one is using teensy ( understand you waiting for the hw ) another is to see if it work on nano.
Attachments
MLinkFrSky_test.teensy.rar
(5.1 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
MLinkFrSky_test.nano.rar
(5.2 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

I ordered a teensy. Not arrived yet.

Could have a look at the nano code.

Did you have a look at the German page, I posted?

What woodstock218 wrote?

Do you understand (google translate), what is written there?

Did post a link to this here in that forum.

Wouldn't it be a good idea, if the guys doing the coding, look into, what the other one is doing? ;)

br KH
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

KH,

Understood he have make modification with Tobi code to use with teensy...could you attached his code here as I am having problem registering on that site to download. so i can try it out.

I tested the teensy code live on my DLG for a short flight as the weather condition is bad and i dont want to kill my DLG :-)

I think the decoding is all working and getting the right value ... except RSSI.
But for RSSI , it is a question how we should handle those packets from the comm port.
As we don't consistently get RSSI packets ( or others... ) and also sometime we get incomplete packets...so we have to drop them.

The flight is within a small compound and I could not launch too high due to the weather.
From the Taranis log file, as using taranis telemetry log and reading it from companion :-)...I can see the geight , vspd volts is in line to my expectation of the short fligths. The problem we having now is the RSSI would drop off as recorded two periods that voltage , geight and vspd drop to zero... then it comes back after sometime..You hear the taranis complaint "telemetry lost" , but I still have full control on of the DLG.
Cant fly far away to see if RSSI will drop as it should.... but this depend on how we handle the program of RSSI reporting back to Taranis as i think there is a 100ms time that taranis expect to get RSSI, if not everything around taranis telemtry will not work.

reminder : I am not using x9D plus ...may be there is a difference there.

May be Dieter can take a look at my buddy code and comment....but I thik we have progress to real world testing to ensure all is really good.
Log pic.jpg
Jonathan
Attachments
Fb_mpx-2016-02-07.csv
(38.17 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Jonathan, I am busy with other projects at the moment.

GPS Logger und converting one of my oXs vario sensors to VARIO + GPS.
GPS Logger
GPS Logger
screenshot_15.png (72.77 KiB) Viewed 15955 times
oXs vario + GPS
oXs vario + GPS
oXs vario + GPS
oXs vario + GPS
So please don't beat on me not testing your development. ;)

I think now, I have to understand, that teensy is the way to go. So I'll wait, until my teensy arrives here ...

Here is the German paket. woodstock218 says, RSSI works! See pic in my previous post ....
MLinkFrSkyConverter mit Teensy_1.zip
(654.69 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
br KH
jonathanyeo

SUCCESS

Post by jonathanyeo »

KH,

I think I finally got it working as it suppose to be. No real life test, but have pass all the test at home where a know blind spot allow me to capture the reduction in RSSI and reflect on my taranis tx screen ... :D
And it is captured very close on my Taranis Telemetry log vs the MPX logger. :D :D :D

This is done with two further changes to the code myself :D

1) Speed up the sending on the data to the taranis, with cycle time from 100ms to 10 msec.... this remove the occasional drop of telemetry even when you are close by.

2) Remove the complicated RSSI code copy from Tobi to a very simple code... actually not even any coding as MPX comm port already give the correct RSSI value to us.

OLD CODE is rssi_mittel[rssi_index++] = 100-(25/sqrt(rssi));
New CODE is rssi_mittel[rssi_index++] = (rssi);

Attached the new teensy code and also the two log file output.
Also did a spreadsheet showing how close the capture of both loggers. :D :D :D

Now I only need to do a real life DLG flight test ....... probably only got chance next few days.

Jonathan
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pic.jpg
Attachments
FrSkyProtokoll.ino.txt
(6.53 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
MLinkFrSky_test.ino.txt
(15.35 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
MSB_0101.csv
(8.68 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Fb_mpx-2016-02-09.csv
(14.75 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Success Summary.xlsx
(418.86 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

That sounds good Jonathan. :D

Here is an new version of Dieters aka woodstock218 version.

Might have a look ....

br KH ... still waiting for the teensy3.2

PS. Your file Success Summary.xlsx seems to be corrupted
Attachments
_MLinkFrSkyConverter_Teensy_2.zip
(867.65 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Thanks KH.

I believe will face the two issues I posted on cycle time and also the RSSI calculation that I posted on y previous post. I loaded his latest program and did a home test...it have the same situation that I have which RSSI is consistently held at 96/97 range and wont shows a drop like 80,60,30 but stright away goes into no telemetry when it lost signals. This will not help you in real time as you want to know the signal is getting low and you run to recover and not wait till it is lost. ;)

I sneak out to do a proper test of my latest program....what a joy. 40 mins of pure fun flying and telemetry logging on Taranis and also using the F3K training program without a single problem. In fact so much so I forgot at the tail end that I was actually doing testing on my teensy MPX/Opentx conversion at all. :D :D :D :D

now on to next customization of my TX upgrade to better hardware, while keeping it light.

PS : Any idea of a low cost vario that wok with MPX module. ;)

Jonathan
Attachments
Fb_mpx-2016-02-09.csv
(537.24 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Feb9 Pic1.jpg
Feb9 Pic2.jpg
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

jonathanyeo wrote:Any idea of a low cost vario that wok with MPX module. ;)
YES! Just look for openXsensor here in that forum!!
(mstrens now is even using a gyro/acc sensor to improve response of vario readings)

Those here
screenshot_26.png
http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMP180-Replace-B ... SwsB9V89Eq

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pro-Mini-Enhance ... xyKsZRrvFS

If you need higher precision, use a MS5611 sensor instead of the BMP180.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MS5611-high-reso ... Sw7FRWZs~W
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Hi Jonathan. To keep you informed.

Did the first test with woodstock218s program. (You have to understand, it is for me easier, because I am in direct contact with him and there are other people in that German forum also interested to test)

We have
a wiring diagram
a wiring diagram
my Taranis with teensy on breadboard
my Taranis with teensy on breadboard
2.png (157.77 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
my "teststand"
my "teststand"
1.png (146.94 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
I am using a "multi sensor" device http://www.sm-modellbau.de/shop/product ... 5&cPath=18

with that configuration
UniSens_E.png
UniSens_E.png (138.73 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
Voltage, current, rev, capacity, vario, heigh

this is, what I see on display on my Taranis
3.png
3.png (62.18 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
4.png
4.png (62.35 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
changed to my good old EVO with that on display
5.png
5.png (157.66 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
6.png
6.png (161.41 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
7.png
7.png (117.29 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
BL motor running idle in both cases.

br KH

Waiting, that someone kicks me out of this forum, because I post too much pictures .... :D
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Second run.

Current seems ok now. RPM not.1600ms is throttle channel.
Unbenannt.jpg
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

KH,
no worry. I am following what you and woodstock218s progress. And testing it on my side also.
DO attach his program here, as I am having trouble signing on that site.

Thanks
Jonathan
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Hi Jonathan.

Here is our latest ....

I think, high, vario, rpm and rx voltage is confirmed. Battery voltage and current I'll do further tests to confirm.
1 ... 2 A with a 100 A current sensor is not a good test. ;)

About LQI and RSSI I am not so sure. For pics, have a look at the German page.

br KH
Attachments
_MLinkFrSkyConverter_Teensy.zip
(869.69 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

KH,
Thanks for the file, i am following on the other forum also.
Now pending the administrator to approve my registration.

The LQI and RSSI issue face is resolve as per my previous post of changing the calculation.

OLD CODE is rssi_mittel[rssi_index++] = 100-(25/sqrt(rssi));
New CODE is rssi_mittel[rssi_index++] = (rssi);

It is working well for me in live environment. You can actually test this at home by moving the transmitter into a fridge ( yup ) and as you start closing the door, you will see the RSSI level degrade and eventually telemetry lost complaint on Taranis. If the old code is use, it will just stay 97 and then telemetry signal lost.

Jonathan
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

What about a microwave oven? ;)
Don't turn it ON though :)
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Joao,
you try and let me know :-)...or remember dont turn it on. :-)
Jonathan
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No, really, you can use a microwave oven instead of the fridge. It works as a faraday cage as well.. Even better because it was designed for it..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

Joao, ah got it. I have one beside the fridge. :-)
Am working on another thread with on documentation of Taranis telemetry setting...seems to now lead to trying to confirm I am sending enough time and fast enough to Taranis.
jonathanyeo

Post by jonathanyeo »

KH,

Just report back that the file on Feb 17 you posted from woodstock218s program, it work perfectly for me.
My previous program give me occasional RSSI drop when it is not suppose to ....and last two days more and more RSSI drop experience.
I decide to use woodstock218s Feb 17 program , check into it and he have implement the RSSI code change already. SO I tested it on live flying and logging...the result sis fantastic and work very very well. Much better then the version I have, very stable. In fact I don't have any drop and I can see when I am high up far the signal start to drop...and I come back. :-)

I want to thank you for your help in putting the file here as I am still not able to post there ( pending admin approval, i think ).
Please help me thanks woodstock218s for his work... do continue to post updates here that I can use.
Any testing you need in my environment ( only with vario ) , please let me know. Happy to test it....

Jonathan
Attachments
Good.jpg
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Hi Jonathan.

Thank you for your remarks. Will tell woodstock218. There is still work to do. Current and voltage tested. Some voltage issues still exist.
Have a look at the German page.

br KH
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Finally put the converter on my radio.
Used a teensy lc.
screenshot #4.png
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

Hello,

pleasse excuse me for beeing such quiet - there is not much time. If something is urgent, please send me a pm. Than I will get active as soon as possible. I did my work on a update. It use the seriel port in JR bay now. It is the lowerst pin, so it works without inverting. Please change in telemetry menu "Telemetrytype" to "FrSky S.Port". Please do not use the seriel port in battery bay any longer.
I tested it with Taranis and Horus.
There are some modifications in the libraries. So pelease replace the old one by the newest in ZIP-file.

I hope it will work instantly.

Best regards

Tobi
Attachments
MLink-FrSky S.Port-Adapter.zip
Update MLink-Fr-Sky s.Port Adapter V2017
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 205 times
sigimann

Post by sigimann »

Hallo Tobi

Die neue Version geht im ersten Schuss bei mir mit Nano nicht.
ich probiere jetzt mit UNO. Dabei fällt mir im Code auf, dass Seriell mit 9600 Baud gestartet wird, für ACT wären 38400 richtig, diese sind aber mit Kommentar // deaktiviert, hab ich da vielleicht eine Version für MPX ?

Sigi
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

Hallo Sigi,

die richtige Baud-Rate wird im Mlink-Treiber eingestellt. Die im Code ist nur zum Debuggen.

Die Sequenz
if(!mLink.begin(HW_SERIAL0))
{
Serial.begin(9600);
while(!Serial){;}
Serial.print("Initialisierung fehlgeschlagen!");
while(1){;}
}
meint, dass wenn mLink.begin mit false zurück kommt, wird dann auf 9600 initialisiert um die Fehlermeldung auszugeben und dann in eine Endlosschleife zu laufen. Das passiert aber nur, wenn bei begin was schief geht.

Mit dem Nano habe ich es noch nicht getestet. Ich verwende einen ProMini mit einem ATmega328. Die MLink-Library braucht die native RS232-Schnittstelle. Mit Softwareserial gibt es ggf. Timing-Proboleme. Zum Upload darf sie aber nicht am HF-Teil stecken. Also erst abstöpseln, dann hochladen. HAst Du den Pin im HF-Schacht verwendet und auf S.Port gestellt? Am externen Seriell-Port geht nur das alte D-Protokoll, das ich aber abgeschossen habe weil S.Port viel flexibler ist und besser aufs MLink passt.

Viele Grüsse

Tobi
sigimann

Post by sigimann »

Hallo Tobi
Danke für diese sehr ausführliche Antwort, schöne Grüsse auch von Kalle, der mir deine GMX Adresse gab, aber ich war noch nicht soweit für Fragen.

Ich denke der Mini Pro ist der Schlüssel den ich als nächstes angehen sollte.
Ich habe heute nochmal auf dem UNO probiert, Nur mit ACT und Ossi am D2, dazu externe Stromversorgung und da kam nichts durch.

Den Mini hab ic ja hier liegen, aber ich habe da noch keinen Skatch hochladen können, mit meinem dazu erworbenen FT232 Progger klapt es nicht.
Aber ich vermute der Mini ist Schrott, da sitzen Bauteile sehr schief (Aus DE, für 5 Eu). Der Händler ist dabei.

Solange ich jetzt keinen Mini geprogt kriege ist erst mal Ruhe, is mal wieder Flugwetter.

Sigi
Tobi

Post by Tobi »

Hallo Sigi,

nun habe uich doch tatsächlich einen Fehler im Schaltplan gefunden. Die grüne Leitung muss natürlich an Tx vom HF-Teil, nicht an Vcc.
Vielleicht war das das Problem?
Update of Schamatic
Update of Schamatic
Hello everyone,

there is a little error in schematic. Please connect the green cable not to Vcc but to Tx (see schamatic update).

Best regards

Tobi
sigimann

Post by sigimann »

Hallo Tobi

Da habe ich den Richtigen Pin genommen, den Tx an ACT. Hab mit der "alter" Verdrahtung gearbeitet.

Ich gehe einfach nochmal von Vorne los, dann komme ich ja an den Punkt, an dem es nicht passt.
Die Kernfrage ist ja nicht wo ist der Fehler, sondern was ist bei mir anders.

1. Das ACT Modul - Ich Verwende - T16-V2 - da ist laut Weste das MLink geändert worden (schneller)

2. Ich Verwende OpenTX 2.1.8, TX 2.2 möchte ich vermeiden. siehst du da Probleme?

3. Ich verwende bisher den NANO - Da gehe ich jetzt auf den Mini Pro, dann sind wir gleich

Sigi

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”