Switches pushed through

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
tintin

Switches pushed through

Post by tintin »

I cannot believe it.
I had this radio just over a year. From day one I found it a pig to programme, then I worked it out enough to go flying and had telemetry problems. I had to return it to the supplier to get the telemetry sorted.

This week I'm working away from home, staying in a hotel, so decided to pack it in the car and spend some time with it in the evenings.

Well I made some progress on programming. I got the aeroplanes sorted, and was just getting into the helicopters when the right hand lower switch stuck in ( the one that says ENTER).
I fiddled with it and then the whole bank of switches on that side have come detached and fallen into the radio. The radio won't turn off, so I've had to disconnect the battery.

I can't believe it. I've only flow it about 5 or six times, its just out of warranty and now it's broken.

I know what your thinking, I pushed too hard. I've never had any other switch on anything push through, so that blows that theory.

Not impressed.

Tintin

Kilrah

Re: Switches pushed through

Post by Kilrah »

Take it apart, put the switches back in, add a drop of CA, sorted. That's what you'd do with a plane if a control horn fell off, no?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I wouldn't expect buttons to fall on a $200 radio, or even a $100 radio.. And it isn't the first time this happens.. A friend of mine also had the same problem.
I also wouldn't expect a control horn to fall off on a $200 plane ;)
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
seancull

Post by seancull »

I love my Taranis but the build quality is definitely poor. This is how I fixed the buttons http://seancull.co.uk/2014/05/22/fixing ... ansmitter/
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It was a problem in the first batch, was solved since.

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi tintin,

Check with your supplier and/or a FrSky dealer and they may do a warranty for you, even though its been over a year.
Being FrSky knows they had a problem with the early Taranis Radio Shells, this may help you when asking if they would
extend the warranty for this problem. It may be worth checking with them.

I like the fix that seancull did to fix his Taranis. 8-)

There are Taranis parts out now also: FrSky Taranis Replacement Radio Shell is about $15 (http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-gear/ ... parts.html) could be an option too.

Bob :)
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

More like $23 for ALL the parts. And odds are, the button tree just fell off the pegs.

See the little loops at the top & bottom of the button trees? They go on little pegs molded into the front half of the shell.

Disassemble the TX, remove the mainboard, reassemble the buttons on the pegs in the shell, put a drop of CA on each peg, and Bob's your Uncle. Or your Aunt, as the case may be. ;)

This is one of those cases where in all honesty... it would be more hassle to sort it with a warranty, even if available, than to fix it yourself. 10-15 minutes tops. It would take longer than that to pack it in a box and take it to the Post Office.

mnem
"Very helpful; very helpful indeed." Chibila though to himself.
tintin

Post by tintin »

Hello all
Thank you for your considered replies.
After I posted it,I thought I might get flamed for being heavy handed, ham fisted etc.

As I said it, "it fell apart in my hand, Gov".

I had an email from the importer saying he will send me a new bank of switches. I wasn't sure at the time if it was a DIY fix, but think it will be alright.

I'm obviously not the first person this happened to and hope to get it sorted.

Thanks the helpful words.

Regards
Tintin
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Viewing seancull picture, it looks like with the manufacturing process,
that the button tree is held in place by melting the heads of the locating pegs over to hold button tree in place.
This may have caused the melted plastic to become brittle and brake.
Taranis Button Tree Pegs inside Radio Face Shell.
Taranis Button Tree Pegs inside Radio Face Shell.
When I received 9x Turnigy Radios from HobbyKing with there stock V2 firmware, every one of them had a
problem when pressing the buttons, nothing would happen.
So when becoming frustrated, I would press the buttons longer and harder
and after many, many repeated pressings, it would work properly for that one action.

Interestingly, ..... when each of these 9x Turnigy Radios with there stock V2 firmware from HobbyKing
were flashed with er9x firmware, this problem completely vanished.
I speculate the problem was with the HobbyKing Stock V2 firmware.

Sometimes when using OpenTX on my Taranis, the buttons seem to not respond properly.
This is not a big thing as I can exit out and then it will work correctly the next time.
When I use erSky9x on my Taranis there seem to be no trouble with the buttons.
It could be partly from the different button orientations between the two firmwares,
as I am more familiar using erSky9x firmware. (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4582)

Bob
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

tintin wrote:Hello all
Thank you for your considered replies.
After I posted it,I thought I might get flamed for being heavy handed, ham fisted etc.

As I said it, "it fell apart in my hand, Gov".

I had an email from the importer saying he will send me a new bank of switches. I wasn't sure at the time if it was a DIY fix, but think it will be alright.

I'm obviously not the first person this happened to and hope to get it sorted.

Thanks the helpful words.

Regards
Tintin
Naaahhh... this isn't RCG. ;)

We all know the Taranis' shell isn't exactly a shining example of quality manufacturing; it's one of the things we've learned to live with given what else we get in exchange for our loyalty. Besides; IIRC, I had exactly the same thing happen on my first 9XR; they hadn't swaged the ends of the pegs over like in the photo above. CA was the easy-peasy fix; again, more hassle to pack it up and ship it out than to fix it myself.

Good luck!

mnem
*Unswaged*

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”