taranis wont turn on

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
ShowMaster

Re: taranis wont turn on

Post by ShowMaster »

I have to ask. Any diy mods made? What are you using for the tx battery, stick 6 cell nimh or other?
Just eliminating all unknowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LosLobo

Post by LosLobo »

It wasn`t modified. When I received it from china the battery was deeply discharged (original frsky Ni-Mh 7.2V 2000mAh). I suppose the transmitter was in the non working state during the all shipping time and it discharged the battery. (In non working state -when it doesn`t turn on - the transmitter discharges the battery in 10 hours). I managed to charge all cells of battery than I made several cycle of charge and discharge. After this the battery seems to be ok. It has 8.6V when fully charged.
When I opened the transmitter I found lots of small soldering tin balls on the main and back boards, which I gently cleaned with toothbrush and 99% alcohol. It didn`t help but on the next day the transmitter begun to work correctly. I could turn it on without removing the battery. This period lasted for a month. But I noticed random quiet clicks from the speaker while the transmitter was switched off. I thought it is generated by wifi and I installed a ferrit ring on the cable of the speaker to filter noises. This is the only one modification what I made. It didn`t stop the clicking.
After a while the transmitter returned into the original state when it does not works without disconnecting the battery for several days and than it works ok for several days.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Wow, not good! I’m out of simple fix ideas.
I had a tx that was salt water damaged from HK. Th-9x model. A tip of the tongue gave a salty taste. I used distilled water to wash the mainboard and it came back to life ok after strange power issues. Then the toggle switches started failing, corrosion started in them. Replacing all the switches fixed that.
Alcohol won’t work but water will. Maybe it got wet on its journey?

LosLobo

Post by LosLobo »

Thank you for your help.
I have not tasted the transmitter boards yet, but I suppose it was shipped by aviapost.
What do you think about replacing the main board? Can it solve the problem?
I hope the seller will send a new main board if it solves the problem.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The mainboard has all the smarts on it for power generation/regulation as well as the magic switch circuit.
The back board doesn’t.
The switchboard has the charger circuit on it and the power switch but I’m guessing not too much to cause this issue.
A new mainboard would be my guess.

LosLobo

Post by LosLobo »

I received a new main board. It was replaced and the radio works perfectly. The transplantation of display was not easy, because the soldered background leds, but it was solved :). Thank you for your advice.
DroneZoneFPV

Post by DroneZoneFPV »

I have a similar problem, except I can only turn on my Taranis QX7 through the bootloader menu. Everything else works properly and I can plug the transmitter into my computer with no problems, I just can't turn it on by pressing the power button; I have to go to the bootloader menu and hit exit to run normal operations. Does anyone know hat might cause this problem and how I can fix it?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It sounds like some hardware problem. You could try opening the radio and make sure all connectors are fully seated. Remove the battery first..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you press the power button, without the trims held in, does anything happen?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Is it posable it has the new otx fw that requires the power button be pushed for more that I think 3 seconds?
I haven’t upgraded to that yet but I herd comments about it from the newer x7 owners at my field.

Victek

Post by Victek »

ShowMaster wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:21 am I have to ask. Any diy mods made? What are you using for the tx battery, stick 6 cell nimh or other?
Just eliminating all unknowns.
Yes, and hello all, I made an external switched DC plug to recharge the battery without opening the back door, installed a DC to CC/CV converter and replaced the stck battery by two 3.7V 4.000mAh serial connected.
Attachments
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I hope you are using a Lithium battery Charger and that you are balance charging those batteries.
Or are you just applying some voltage to the batteries? I think I am not understanding what you are doing, but if it is what I think it is, you might be asking for big trouble.

Lithium batteries must be charged by a dedicated charger, you can't just connect a voltage booster to them. They might explode.. :o
Or, as I said, perhaps I don't understand what you have done :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Victek

Post by Victek »

Hi jhsa, thanks for your interest, since I'm using an additional DC to CC/CV converter (inside the transmitter) I can use any DC power supply. I charge with an standard 12V, 5Amp PSU. Don't know if I can post links to components source, if yes I'll put the links.

Thanks.
Attachments
Captura.PNG
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Is it constantly conected to the battery? If yes did you check it didn't drain the battery when unpowered?
No balancing/protection circuit on the battery? Would want a little BMS there too...
Victek

Post by Victek »

Yes, a Schottky Diode (SB860) it's in +OUT to prevent reverse voltage. Also at the DC to CC/CV converter +IN to avoid polarity error (the unit was not protected over polarity mistakes). The protection circuit it's installed.
Attachments
Captura.PNG

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”