At this point should I wait for the Taranis Plus ?

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
SamPik

At this point should I wait for the Taranis Plus ?

Post by SamPik »

I need a new radio but I'm not in a hurry. To use with the Pixhawk. I'm not sure if I would prefer 2 pots and no 6-pos switch, or 1pot and 1 6-pos switch. I guess I need at least 1 pot for gimbal tilt? Another for zooming the camera if I ever want to implement that? If the Taranis Plus comes with OpenTx 2.0 and a bootloader would it make my life quite easier, as opposed to getting the current Taranis? Would selectable backlight color make a big difference in the sun or at night? Anything else I should factor in?

I dont think I care about haptic, especially if it adds weight to the radio

kilrah commented on Mar 31
Note that taranis plus will have selectable backlight color.

bertrand35 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:41 pm
S3 will be available on Taranis Plus only. I should hide this parameter on Taranis.

Postby Kilrah » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:42 am
The 6-pos switch has mostly been requested by the ardupilot guys who want 6 discrete positions for their flight mode switch.
Then pots are good because you don't always want steps, for example controlling a camera looks awful if it jerks at each encoder step... ¸¸

bertrand35
9x Developer

Re: At this point should I wait for the Taranis Plus ?

Post by bertrand35 »

Haptic weight won't be a big issue, between 1g and 10g. Well centered, it will fly as a Taranis, don't worry :)
SamPik

Post by SamPik »

I guess you're joking but for real I like very light radios so I can carry them around easily (for backpacking).

I wonder if the Taranis Plus is ready but that FrSky is waiting for openTx 2.0 to be officially out and stable before they launch.

Also any plans to support OpenTx 2.0 on the newly released Turnigy 9XR Pro? I'm eager to see how they will compare to the Taranis Plus
dvogonen

Re: Sv: At this point should I wait for the Taranis Plus ?

Post by dvogonen »

I doubt FrSky is waiting for 2.0. They have their own branch of the firmware tree and will release the plus with software from there.

It is extremely likely that OpenTX will support 9XR Pro at a not to distant future. The Pro is not a completely new design. It is built on SkyNorth replacement board for the 9x. That board is already supported by OpenTX, so supporting 9XR Pro should not be a huge task.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I believe a version of openTx 2.0 is being built for the 'PRO.
The 'PRO will ship with ersky9x. This includes support for specific Tx modules being developed for the 'PRO, as well as support for certain hardware upgrades (like extra 3-position switches) that may be added.

Both openTx and ersky9x started life as er9x, so many things in ersky9x will seem familiar anyway.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Yes OpenTX already runs on 9XR-PRO, but the main developers of OpenTX fly with the Taranis, and the features come there first. Have a look to the 2.0 new features and you will see by yourself:
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/milestones
fburden

Post by fburden »

From what I'm reading, it sound like the Taranis Plus is worth waiting for, since I'm not in an extreme rush.
Sounds like, compared to the 9XR-Pro, JR shape style and feel, the Taranis quad bearing Gimbals, wider screen, openTx2.0 with the Model Wizard...

and compared to the Taranis vers. A., better sliders, haptic, improved speaker with no buzz (? could someone confirm that? Any buzz would drive me crazy..),, plus some other bonuses....

WHEN will it be available? before Christmas?
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

RIght, no buzz at all, they fixed this problem.
We are waiting for the new LCD, it should be a good 16 grayscales LCD. I am looking forward to try it.
fburden

Which version of Taranis has the buzz fixed?

Post by fburden »

Bertrand, I apologize, I'm confused:
To undo my confusion, which Tx are you refering to with "no buzz at all, they fixed this problem"?
A) The currently shipping Taranis (eg. at Alofthobbies -June 2014).
or
B) The Taranis Plus (not being sold yet).

Thanks!
Ford

P.S. "the 16 grayscales LCD" sounds great!!
bertrand35 wrote:RIght, no buzz at all, they fixed this problem.
We are waiting for the new LCD, it should be a good 16 grayscales LCD. I am looking forward to try it.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

B)

Envoyé de mon SM-G900F en utilisant Tapatalk

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”