Taranis Quadcopter Curves and Mixing

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
StonedLlama

Taranis Quadcopter Curves and Mixing

Post by StonedLlama »

Hey everyone!

I am very glad to have found this forum, and I thank you all in advance for taking the time to offer suggestions and assistance!

Being new to RC, I have been overwhelmed with a wealth of information about rates, curves, expos, mixes and flight modes for my new quadcopter; however, I have managed to build, bind and fly my first MultiWii (2.3) Quadcopter (F450 DJI) with my Taranis FrSky 9r. My first few flights were very stable, even in high winds, so I think I can avoid configuring PID's at this time. I did notice that my sticks felt less responsive than I would like, but I have not tried any flight modes other than Angle (Stable mode). This leads me to my first question: Does MultiWii scale expos and curves by default in Acro and Horizon flight modes, or will the sticks respond the same as Angle mode, just without auto-leveling?

I have seen all of the Scott Page videos, and they have helped me formulate these questions, but not answer them fully in regards to Quadcopter settings.

In regards to programming my Taranis, I have 7 Channels configured and working properly in the MultiWii GUI. I have yet to test them thoroughly, but the switches are bound to the correct AUX channels for my flight modes. What I would like someone to explain, sample, or demonstrate for me is how to set up a curve so that my rudder input has more range (more weight beyond 100?), and to make it more responsive to extreme stick inputs. I would hope both these changes could be accomplished by just increasing the maximum value for weight, but I also know this may require a custom curve; however, I am not sure if it will be symmetrical, or only apply to positive values?

Similarly, I would like my throttle to be more responsive at maximum stick input, but less responsive below mid stick so I have a greater range to find a hover in. Scott also mentioned that you should not allow throttle to use the maximum power, so as to save room for maneuvering with other inputs.

Additionally, to set different rates for my various flight modes, should I apply these curves/values to the switches my flight modes are on, or a separate 3 position switch? I was thinking of using SD for these levels, but would it be more practical to program it to gains on a dial for adjustment?

Last question! How do I make my GPS Home (RTL) override other flight modes? Is that already programmed into MultiWii, or do I need to add some custom functions in my Taranis? It is currently bound to SF on my TX, and I would also like it to act as my failsafe.

Cheers!

Kilrah

Re: Taranis Quadcopter Curves and Mixing

Post by Kilrah »

Typically with multicopters the stick response should be configured on the flight controller, not on the radio. If you want a more responsive rudder that's where you'll have to change settings.

About the flight mode override it depends on the FC again - I know most of them but not Multiwii.
StonedLlama

Post by StonedLlama »

Thanks for the feedback, I will check out the gain options in my FC settings.

Another issue I encountered yesterday was that my GPS Home was not working properly. When set, the quad just drifts off in the wind, with no course corrections. I bought my MultiWii FC pre-configured from Paul at Whitespy, so it should already be enabled in the code. I made sure to wait for a GPS lock on 6+ Sats before trying it too..

When trying some simple rolls yesterday, I buried my quad in some grass because the Ailerons were not responsive enough to pull me out of my loop, or I was applying throttle at the wrong time. Either way, I will need to increase my gains for all stick controls simultaneously it appears. Can anyone think of a simple way to increase ALL GAINS on Taranis?
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

" Can anyone think of a simple way to increase ALL GAINS on Taranis?" You can select Extended Limits in the model Setup tab, but as Kilrah pointed out this is best done in the FC board configuration. For MW look at the MultiWiiConf options for Rate in two places on the screen. Read the Wiki for how each is applied.

Ted

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”