Taranis mode 1 back in stock @ HK

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Marco330

Post by Marco330 »

Just saw that the Taranis is back in stock in the Int HK warehouse, mode 1

Will be gone soon!
Marco

HoutvesterFPV

Re: Taranis mode 1 back in stock @ HK

Post by HoutvesterFPV »

Hey Marco,

I've bought one on the 16th. It took a few days to get sold out. Hopefully it will arrive this week. I will use it in mode 2, but the conversion is not difficult.

Quinten
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I don't know why they even bother to sell the two modes when it's so easy to switch. Unlike some transmitters which require delicate work with narrow nose pliers to switch the centering mechanism, Taranis just needs a couple of screws tightened and a couple of other loosened.
Marco330

Post by Marco330 »

But you forget that there are lots of people with the fine motoric skills of a dead whale or are concerned with warranty issues. Fine with me, was able to buy one and enjoy fiddling around in it ;-)
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Marco330 wrote:But you forget that there are lots of people with the fine motoric skills of a dead whale or are concerned with warranty issues. Fine with me, was able to buy one and enjoy fiddling around in it ;-)
You argue persuasively. :D
But where did this idea come from that opening a radio voids the warranty? Most radio manuals explain how to adjust stick tension and this nearly always involves opening the radio (exceptions include some recent Spektrum radios).
Last edited by Daedalus66 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

"But where did this idea come from that opening a radio voids the warranty?"

I saw it on the internet, so it must be true. :lol:

Then again, the average Joe Stickbanger probably has neither the aptitude or confidence to open up a radio without close supervision. Simple, but intimidating for many.

Ted
HoutvesterFPV

Post by HoutvesterFPV »

Marco330

Post by Marco330 »

Not too many anymore ... Expect the Taranis V2 soon
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

I had to look up what is in the V2 compared to V1... here it is from a source listed below.
FrSky (pronounced free-sky) listened to the open source customer feedback from v1 and have modified the audio-amp for louder clearer sound and ; Also has the new higher cap internal charge control circuit in these v2 version - Dont forget we have spare X8R Rx instock and the new Hubless sensors for AMPS and the hub less Vario/Altimeter for the Taranis as well under FrSky menu.
Quote from Here

I fear my new Taranis which I haven't even powered up yet might be a version one but the firmware was installed in November...

Is there a mod that can be done to update it to version 2? For this Cap and Amp change?
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I understand from the aloft hobby info that installing the new switchboard in stock will upgrade the charge circuit for 2000ma packs.
The audio is much improved by updating the stock Frsky FW with the latest opentx. It also improves the LCD display.
Some talk about wether the induced data buzz in the audio amp being less with the newer model, others say no big improvement? It's not a simple issue to begin with and moving of speaker wires, some metal tape shielding, and other bypass at temps have been tried. I'm not sure it's been eliminated in any version yet? It's minor for most and can't be heard at a noisy flying site. If you use an earpiece it is trouble and at some point will need to be eliminated.
I own a v1 since July and fly it at least every Friday, many flights. I flashed opentx into it the first week and that improved the distorted audio and display issues enough for me.
I also swapped out the tiny speaker for a larger one as discussed and that improved the audio more and made it louder. Still a small buzz I've ignored.

My personal opinion about fixes is it may require more board shielding, a change in the audio circuits trace layout and more bypassing and EQ to eliminate the buzz and also improve the audio. The audio circuit now I believe is powered off of 3.3v. Moving it to a 5v source could improve the audio much more.
My point here is that the rumored Taranis Pro will probably be a redesign to eliminate or improve on the current Taranis. Without a board redesign all the current taranis in non pro versions will just have gingerbread fixes hung on the board. Frsky has stayed that we'll be able to upgrade any of our current versions to a pro later on. At out own expense of course but our labor is free and if like me you've been enjoying flying a great radio while waiting for the upgrades it's not a deal breaker to but not and start flying it.
Every time I fly my do it all $200 radio I love to listen to the $500+ doesn't do it all radio owners tap dance about how they like their plane jane radios. I show them my plane install with a simple receiver and 2 cats whisker antennas. They show me their install, many with 2 or 4 satellite antennas, if nitro a 5 cell pack, and of course that little cap on a servo plug all Spektrum owners have as a good luck charm.

So buy any version Taranis in stock, upgrade the FW and enjoy great features and a solid control link now! Later on upgrade or sell off this one for a newer one (after several versions of that one) and don't look back! I'll only buy "you can't afford to do that" if you swear you don't upgrade your cellphone every few years to keep up with technology!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I fully agree. I have one of the very first batch and have been flying it since July. I look forward to upgrading it to the Pro version when the parts are available, but meantime no regrets at all. My only upgrade so far is OpenTX. I do have a better speaker on order.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Thanks Gents, all good... I just have my other T9x build so well that I don't need to turn on my Taranis at the moment. I actually bought in on an Impulse and the fact that I was selling my Mulit-Rotors to build a newer/bigger/better one. ;-) Always the case isn't it?

Monday, My old radio and Quad are sold, so I will marry my Taranis to my Hex and start enjoying it.

I will upgrade as well when the time comes.

Thanks for the input,

Cheers,

Pino.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
HoutvesterFPV

Post by HoutvesterFPV »

Mode 2 available at Hobbyking!

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”