XR8 rx telemetary sensors

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Kilrah

Re: XR8 rx telemetary sensors

Post by Kilrah »

deltasigma wrote: In the documentation of the X8R, I saw telemetry is "active" in Mode1 (D8)...
Telemetry is active but only info from legacy sensors (non S.Port, through the vario bridge) will be communicated to the radio by the TX module (which as FrSky has done it needs to perform a data conversion). So the info from your X8R2Analog would never arrive at the radio.
deltasigma wrote:Any idea when the next release will be "release" :D
Normally in the next few days. No need to report anything, it's fixed already.

ckleanth

Post by ckleanth »

Guys can you please correct me if I'm wrong but the latest opentx firmware seems to support the x8r2analog and enables a2.
Does this meand we can use the x8r2analog connected to the s-port (currently a1 rx voltage and a2 lipo measured input) and also connect to servo via s-bus?
Last edited by ckleanth on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it has wings it will fly...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Of course.
ckleanth

Post by ckleanth »

Cheers kilrah
Does the change also support to bypass a1 id (the one currently associated with internal rx voltage) and send telemetry data to the tx for two analog external measured voltages via the x8r2analog device?
If it has wings it will fly...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I know there have been discussions about that, but don't remember reading that it had actually been implemented in the sensor, or that an ID had been chosen for that. Might have missed it though.

So, no.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

A problem with the X8R, and this sensor, is the way openTx currently handles the X8R Rx voltage, and I copied for ersky9x. The Rx voltage is mapped to A1.
I have seen references to the X6R being able to handle an external analog input that will be returned as A1, so this may cause a conflict anyway.

My solution for ersky9x is to provide a separate telemetry value for RxV. This will have its own scale factor. Initially, this value will map to A1, as it currently does, however, if a real A1 value is received, the RxV value will no longer be mapped to A1, until telemetry is lost.

This should allow me to add a second analog input to this sensor, and map it to A1.

With the X6R appearing, it may well be necessary for openTx to do something similar.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It would be good to have some direct input form FrSky.
When we implemented it that way, it was simply because FrSky was referring to it as A1 and didn't imply it would be different from the old system.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

From the X6R manual:

"Features
• With external analog telemetry port(AD1),
When pins of A1 and X (Middle Pin) are connected by the jumper, A1 will change from External Analog Telemetry Port to
Internal Built-in battery voltage sensor."

The manual has errors so I don't know what to believe. It refers to using 2 X6Rs to provide a 14 channel receiver, I make it 12!

Mike.

Edit: Just seen a picture (on aloft hobbies site) of the X6R. There is indeed an analog port on the bottom of the Rx. It is labelled A1.
erskyTx/er9x developer
NeilRogers

Post by NeilRogers »

There is a jumper marked A1 and a pin marked G
I assume A1 is input, middle pin (X in manual but not marked) internal voltage and G ground
On the front silk screen it reads 6/16CH Telemetry.
They supply 2 addition jumpers for binding.
I don't have any sbus servos to test, but the spec indicates 1-6CH Normal Output and sbus 1-16CH
aadamson

Post by aadamson »

Mike,

In a vanilla X6R, I've had one report of the X8R2Analog not working until you plugged it in after you plugged in the Lipo and powered the X6R, if powered at the same time, the X8R2Analog won't provide the A2 value, unplug it and plug it back in and it works.

Seems there is some kinda of conflict (probably with Id's or something other) that is preventing this from working until it's powered last.

Got any ideas and is it related to the above?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No idea!
I was thinking of getting a X6R so I probably will to test this out.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rilot

Post by rilot »

I've got myself a FAS-100 to play with and have a couple of questions about it that I can't seem to find any answer to on here.

What's the maximum supported voltage this thing can handle? Is 6S OK?
In the telemetry setup of my Taranis, I'm trying to set a warning for when I use more than 10000mAh. The maximum it will let me use is 5100mAh. This is the same for the "bars" telemetry screen too. Maximum the bar will display is 5100mAh. Is this a limit of the FAS-100 or a limit of the Taranis' software?
aadamson

Post by aadamson »

rilot wrote:I've got myself a FAS-100 to play with and have a couple of questions about it that I can't seem to find any answer to on here.

What's the maximum supported voltage this thing can handle? Is 6S OK?
In the telemetry setup of my Taranis, I'm trying to set a warning for when I use more than 10000mAh. The maximum it will let me use is 5100mAh. This is the same for the "bars" telemetry screen too. Maximum the bar will display is 5100mAh. Is this a limit of the FAS-100 or a limit of the Taranis' software?
I have no idea to any of those questions, this is a support thread for a different sensor
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I think 6s is the max.
The 5100mAh is a limit of the radio firmware, that should disappear in next major release.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

X6R on order, may arrive tomorrow, so I'll be able to do some testing.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
rilot

Post by rilot »

I have no idea to any of those questions, this is a support thread for a different sensor
I'm sorry. I saw the title saying Telemetry Sensors" so figured this was the place. Will start a new thread next time.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

aadamson wrote:In a vanilla X6R, I've had one report of the X8R2Analog not working until you plugged it in after you plugged in the Lipo and powered the X6R, if powered at the same time, the X8R2Analog won't provide the A2 value, unplug it and plug it back in and it works.
For some reason the X6R is sending a non-SPort frame before it settles into driving the SPort properly. SPort frames should start with 0x7E, but I'm seeing 0xAA, 0x14, 0xAA first, then a pause, then it sends proper SPort frames. This confuses the baudrate setting code in the sensor.

I'll look to change the sensor code so it skips this first burst. I can't think of any other solution, particularly for existing sensors.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I have a version of the code that skips the rogue frame, then works out the baudrate on the next frame. I'm just wondering if I should skip more than one frame to be safer?

This version of the code also reads a second analog input, and currently returns the value as T2 (temperature 2, old hub sensor ID). This is therefore just a number from 0 to 255.

This all works from a X6R to a Taranis.

Mike.

OK, just done another tweak. Compiled with DEBUG off. This frees up another pin. This pin is then available to select the ID for the second analog input. Normally it is T2, but if the pin is grounded then it will use A1. Ersky9x handles A1 as it now has its own scaling configuration for the Rx voltage ID. If you don't connect anything to the second analog input, it doesn't send anything anyway.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Committed these changes to googlecode.

Details of new connections:
2ndOpt.jpg
2ndOpt.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 18852 times
Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

MikeB wrote:OK, I have a version of the code that skips the rogue frame, then works out the baudrate on the next frame. I'm just wondering if I should skip more than one frame to be safer?
Why do you need to read the baudrate in the first place? We know if's 57600, that's it...

Or is it to compensate for oscilator error?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, the on chip oscillator is not sufficiently accurate from chip to chip so I "tune" to the incoming baudrate.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
aadamson

Post by aadamson »

MikeB wrote:OK, I have a version of the code that skips the rogue frame, then works out the baudrate on the next frame. I'm just wondering if I should skip more than one frame to be safer?

This version of the code also reads a second analog input, and currently returns the value as T2 (temperature 2, old hub sensor ID). This is therefore just a number from 0 to 255.

This all works from a X6R to a Taranis.

Mike.

OK, just done another tweak. Compiled with DEBUG off. This frees up another pin. This pin is then available to select the ID for the second analog input. Normally it is T2, but if the pin is grounded then it will use A1. Ersky9x handles A1 as it now has its own scaling configuration for the Rx voltage ID. If you don't connect anything to the second analog input, it doesn't send anything anyway.

Thanks Mike, I'll get those that have experience this problem to try it and see what happens...

All in the name of science :)...
aadamson

Post by aadamson »

Hey mike, I hear frsky released new firmware for the X8R yesterday, I don't have the upgrade tool for it, might you and can you check the latest firmware with the X8R.

While I'm not sure it makes much sense, there is one post that had problems with the opensensor and he's suggesting that maybe A2 isn't available any more over an s.port sensor with this new firmware.

Alan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm trying to find out which firmware to which he is referring. The latest on the FrSky site is dated 05/11/2013. FrSky are currently closed for the Chinese "Spring Festival" and won't be back until next Monday so I don't think they have just isued new firmware.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
aadamson

Post by aadamson »

MikeB wrote:I'm trying to find out which firmware to which he is referring. The latest on the FrSky site is dated 05/11/2013. FrSky are currently closed for the Chinese "Spring Festival" and won't be back until next Monday so I don't think they have just isued new firmware.

Mike.
it apparently came out sometime in the last week... check this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2080017

Alan
aadamson

Post by aadamson »

BTW, one already confirmed that newly flashed X8R still functions so not sure what the issue is with the opensensor guys
aadamson

Post by aadamson »

Mike,

FYI, looks like there may be a version of the X8R that suffers from the same thing as the X6R. I've also confirmed that the new firmware resolves this issue with these newer X8R's as well.

Now I need to document the additional features, but I put out the newer firmware on the information on RCG.

As always thanks again!
Alan
mstrens

Post by mstrens »

I reported that I had an issue with openxsensor sending A2 with a X8R after upgrading with the latest firmware from Frskry (the one saying that it improve voltage precision).

It was probably a wrong statement.
I made a new test to day and the A2 field sent by openxsensor is correctly displayed on taranis screen.

Sorry for creating perhaps some confusion.
Michel
poteroa

Post by poteroa »

Hello!

I have been reading all this about the sport, and implementing it to X-series receivers. Just have to try this also. :D
Been looking for a way to get this working with attiny24, as I have several of them lying around.

I need some info about the fuse bits, otherwise I am good to go. ;) Can someone help here? (I am quite noob with programming).

Thank you!

Pete
aadamson

Post by aadamson »

poteroa wrote:Hello!

I have been reading all this about the sport, and implementing it to X-series receivers. Just have to try this also. :D
Been looking for a way to get this working with attiny24, as I have several of them lying around.

I need some info about the fuse bits, otherwise I am good to go. ;) Can someone help here? (I am quite noob with programming).

Thank you!

Pete
its documented in mike's sources

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”