Trims on Flaps

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
BCooke

Trims on Flaps

Post by BCooke »

I fly gliders which have ailerons and flaps. These (both aileron and flap) are trimmed up fractionally when in 'speed' flight mode to take out the slight camber in the back of the aerofoil and fly a bit faster or in 'thermal' flight mode to add a bit more camber for more lift.
Ailerons are easy to set up using the trims but flaps are a bit more problematical as follows;
I use the same throttle stick for both motor (electric launch glider) and deployment of the flap. Obviously the motor has to be disenabled to enable the flaps and vice versa for the motor. The set up for that is on the attached eepe file.
But I have two lines for the flaps, one for when the flaps are disenabled, set to a fixed MAX at +100 so that I get full stick movement, the other for flaps enabled overriding the line above. The speed and flight modes have to work on line 1 but because it's set to MAX (fixed) the trims don't work so I can't get any movement for speed or thermal modes.
I've tried changing MAX to TRMT but then the servo centres itself and I only get flap deployment from 0 (centre) to -100.
I'd be grateful for your help.
Attachments
document3.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

rdeanchurch

Re: Trims on Flaps

Post by rdeanchurch »

Deleted
Oops, my bad! I had C9x set for Opentx for a Stock Turnigy/FlySky board. Sorry :oops

...(+100)...TrnT DR/Expo (Flap R and L) seems to work on simulator for me.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
BCooke

Post by BCooke »

O.K. I think that I've cracked it.
I changed line 1 to TRMT but juggled the weight and offsets to get what I wanted. I used a curve to fine tune it. It all looks a bit fragile but I'll try it and see how reliable it is.
BCooke

Post by BCooke »

The program above works in that the flying surfaces move in the way that I want them to move and in accordance with the flight modes. But trimming them for actual flying is proving troublesome. I still have not worked out the relationship between trims, sub trims, and all the other servo adjustments, one doesn't seem to do anything, the result being that you can trim it out in one mode, go to another mode and trim that, go back to the first mode and it's moved.
In the meantime I've bought myself a JR XG11, expensive but I was flying within three days of delivery, everything exactly as I want them. I'll persevere with the Taranis, but I want to go flying, not spend my time trying to unravel programming.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”