External Serial payload

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Zottig

External Serial payload

Post by Zottig » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 pm

I am still waiting on a pre-order for the Taranis, but I wanted to see if it's even capable of what I hope to accomplish.

I am going to use the remote to control a robot (R2-D2 replica) and I have an app that runs on an ipod touch and has a serial output. The problem is how to get that occasional serial string inside the tin can twenty feet away.

Is it possible to pass along a small serial packet (9600 baud 8N1, and less than 128 characters) from the ipod touch, to theTaranis and on to the receiver and have the receiver's serial output pass it on to the on-board processor? Either through the trainer port or the USB or what-have-you? I have to assume it's possible somehow and am hoping that someone else has developed this use case.

I had considered a separate device like an Xbee to accomplish this (ruled out Wifi to serial because it's just not reliable) but I'd PREFER to only have to worry about maintaining a single wireless signal rather than running multiple to and from.

So... since there is telemetry already going on (presumably by serial), I was wondering if you could piggy back a custom data payload.

I hope this is the right section to post this.

Ben

Zottig

Re: External Serial payload

Post by Zottig » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:41 pm

I wanted to clarify... the driving and most functions will still be handled like a standard PWM RC model, the ipod app and the serial connection is only for occasional commands to play a sound or open a panel... that sort of thing. Nothing where timing or failsafes are a significant concern.

Ben

Kilrah

Re: External Serial payload

Post by Kilrah » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Technically yes, but the related functions aren't implemented at this point.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”