My own voices won't be played by Taranis

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
jams

Re: Recording on the Mac

Post by jams »

xtrmtrk wrote:The Mac command tools include a very nifty "say" program. I've tried using it like this:

say -o ~/loiter.wav --data-format=ulaw@32000 --channels=1 -v Victoria "Changed to Loiter Mode."

It's great because with a command line you can create many wav files very quickly using any voice on your Mac saying anything you want. The problem is it doesn't work. I've compared the files created here which don't work to those from Audacity which do work and I can't tell the difference. I've examined them with several different tools and all of the header and codec info seems the same - WAV, MU-LAW, mono, 32000hz and 8 bit.

Attached is a sample file I created. Can anyone tell me why it won't play? I'd be grateful.
Finally got my Taranis and got around to playing with this. I noticed this difference when inspecting the files (V911.wav is generated on OS X 10.7.1, the other one is from the Taranis). The original files shows 16 bits per sample which is not shown on the generated files. I tried looking at the man pages for say and experimenting, but I can't seem to be able to force this setting (it seems to only work for pcm).
Info on both files
Info on both files
UPDATE:
Was able to learn a bit more and get what seems like a correct file, but can't test till I get back from work. The (builtin) afinfo util gives detailed information on audio files, this is for a default Taranis sound:

Code: Select all

$ afinfo flapsup.wav 
File:           flapsup.wav
File type ID:   WAVE
Num Tracks:     1
----
Data format:     1 ch,  32000 Hz, 'lpcm' (0x0000000C) 16-bit little-endian signed integer
                no channel layout.
estimated duration: 0.717594 sec
audio bytes: 45926
audio packets: 22963
bit rate: 512000 bits per second
packet size upper bound: 2
maximum packet size: 2
audio data file offset: 56
optimized
source bit depth: I16
----
So I changed the command to the following to get the same:
say -o test.wav --data-format=LEI16@32000 --channels=1 -v Samantha "Testing audio"

Looks good so far, will report back once I test it.

UPDATE 2: It works perfectly.
Last edited by jams on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

bertrand35
9x Developer

Re: My own voices won't be played by Taranis

Post by bertrand35 »

Would you attach one of your wrong files so that I can check the format / codec?
Mauronic

Post by Mauronic »

rtfm

Post by rtfm »

Hi,
This is an old thread, but why create a new one when my question is identical to the one in the thread title?

Essentially, I have recorded custom sound files with Audacity v 2.0.5 (32000Hz, mono, file names 8 chars). However, when I come to save the files, I am not given the 16 bit Microsoft, mu-LAW option. This is what I have...
Audacity file types.jpg
If I select the highlighted file type, it certainly plays in Companion, but when I update the TX, it doesn't.

Any suggestions?
rtfm

Post by rtfm »

Also, is there a default file structure for the SD card? I seem to remember reading that there is, but i can't remember what it was. Perhaps that's why the sounds aren't playing - I've put them in the wrong place?

Duncan

rtfm

Post by rtfm »

OK, found the folder structure on the TX. Some great (and funny) sounds. But I can't figure out how to put my sounds in there - or how to grab those sounds and play with them in Companion.

I'm making progress, but any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Duncan
rtfm

Post by rtfm »

Hi again,
I've taken a look in the SD card on the TX, and the only folders that have anything in them are the BMP and SOUND folders. Nothing in Firmwares or logs or Models. Is this usual?

Regards,
Duncan
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

rtfm wrote:OK, found the folder structure on the TX. Some great (and funny) sounds. But I can't figure out how to put my sounds in there - or how to grab those sounds and play with them in Companion.

I'm making progress, but any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Duncan
Sounds must be names using 8.3 format no spaces.
To play them in the Transmitter:
From main menu:
- Long Press MENU button
- Short Press page menu
This will put you in the SD CARD screen. From this screen you can navigate using the "-" , "+", and "ENT" key. Once you navigate to the Sounds folder - the in that folder the EN folder (if you're using English) - and when you get to a particular .wav you want to play long press the ENT key.
8-11-2014 7-15-34 PM.jpg
Another place you can play a file is in the SPECIAL FUNCTIONS of OpenTX Companion.
8-11-2014 7-20-06 PM.jpg
rtfm

Post by rtfm »

HI. Yep. Figured both of these options out. I was just a little confused by the fact that even though the sound files play in Companion, they do not get transferred to the radio when the model is downloaded to it. But moving them to the radio via the PC file system is easy enough. I have everything working now.

Cheers,

Duncan

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”