D6FR Rx binds with Taranis but no telemetry

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
patricksurry

D6FR Rx binds with Taranis but no telemetry

Post by patricksurry »

Using Taranis X9D+ with OpenTX 2.3 and a FrSky D6FR Rx.

I can bind successfully and control servos and motor via ESC, but whatever I do, I don't see any telemetry, no RSSI, Tx Voltage (A1) or Batt Voltage (A2).

I have tried with and without a voltage sensor connected between the A2 port and the battery balance plug.

Have tried re-binding, as well as manually trying to 'discover sensors' via the Tx telemetry page 12/13 but it just switches to [stop discovery] without and sits without finding anything after several minutes.

I'm binding with the Internal module using XJT D8 mode (1-8 channel).

Is there something silly I'm missing? All the videos I've seen make it look like the telemetry is normally discovered automatically, immediately after binding. One thread had a passing comment about binding in telemetry mode but couldn't find any mention in the Rx documentation. Or maybe there's some setting on the Tx side I'm missing?

Not a huge deal since I should be able to fly fine without it, but would be nice to figure it out.

Ideas welcome!

patricksurry

Re: D6FR Rx binds with Taranis but no telemetry

Post by patricksurry »

Bummer, no ideas?

Anyone actually using this config (OpenTX 2.3 + FrSky D6FR) successfully? If so, what does the Tx model setup look like.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

For quite sometime, automatic discovery of sensors has not been available.
The videos are often out of day.
You must use Discover new sensors.
If you connected directly to the battery you exceeded the input capability of A2.
It expects only 0 to 3.3 V. You may have fried the A2 input circuit.
You must use a voltage divider...the FBVS-01 is a commercial version of a voltage divider.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
jtaylor

Post by jtaylor »

patricksurry wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:01 pm Bummer, no ideas?

Anyone actually using this config (OpenTX 2.3 + FrSky D6FR) successfully? If so, what does the Tx model setup look like.
I have 6 or 8 of those receivers in use. X9D (original not plus) openTX 2.3.9. My setting is the same as yours XJT D8 mode (1-8 channel). No problem with telemetry. Make sure receiver is on and bound to the transmitter and discover sensors. I get RSSI, A1, and A2. No real idea about your problem other that that combination works. If you only have one, perhaps it's bad.

Jim
patricksurry

Post by patricksurry »

Weird, ok thanks will try another bind/discover session. Does it typically discover within a few seconds or do you have to wait a long time? (Oh, and for the batt voltage I'm using a frsky sensor connected to the balance plug with one ground lead removed)

jtaylor

Post by jtaylor »

The sensors populate the screen as soon as you do the discover. You should get RSSI, A1 and A2 even with nothing connected to A2. I'm using home made voltage divider sensors, but don't connect the ground to the battery either.

Jim
patricksurry

Post by patricksurry »

Solved! I'd been playing with a multi-module (iRangeX IRX4 Plus) which was still plugged in the back of the Taranis, but not used. However once I remove the module, all of the telemetry starts working. If the module is plugged in, the Rx/Tx still works with no config change but the telemetry disappears. I'll ask around over there (https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... -TX-Module) and see if I'm missing something. Maybe I need to explicitly disable the external module somehow??

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”