Brand new to Taranis transmitters!

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Jonzjob

Brand new to Taranis transmitters!

Post by Jonzjob »

Hi folks, I have just joined this forum as I am awaiting the delivery of a Taranis X9D+ 2019. I will probably be asking some very basic questions on the tranny so please bear with me. I'm not totally up to speed with 2.4gig never mind OpenTX! :oops:

I have got the Li-ion battery and I am puzzled as to how it charges via the balance plug? I have a B6 Mini V2 all singing charger and was under the impression that the balance plug was just for the cell balance. As I have always though that to be the case I am very reluctant to plug the new battery into my chargers balance socket and see what happens!

I assume that when I get my tranny I plug the battery in, connect to a USB supply and wait until it switches itself off, or do I have to time the charge? I have tried a search on this, but found nothing?

I have been flying RC gliders for about 30 years now, with a 13 year break when i lived in France. My situation in France dictated that I didn't fly and have been back in the groove for a couple of years and trying to catch up with the modern technology, hence the question.

All was so much easier when I flew on 27hz on the split crystal grey/brown 8-)
John.

Never forget that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

OldSalt

Re: Brand new to Taranis transmitters!

Post by OldSalt »

I like you have just purchased a Taranis x9d plus 2019 and facing similar questions.

I have connected a LiPO battery and connecting only the balancing plug on the battery pack does indeed work. My suspicion is that the balancing connector gives access to the cells individually where the more normal power plug is probably connected to the cells in series. Maybe a voltmeter would add isight to how the battery is wired. I was surprised that the small wires on the balancing plug were used but maybe the current draw is so small that there is not a wire capacity issue.

Not what I would have anticipated but my transmitter does power up and seems to be quite happy with only the balancing plug connected. I have not yet tried the charging feature but hopefully that will function. I would rather not take the battery out and use an external charger every time I want to charge the transmitter battery.

I am now working on getting the radio and receiver (FrSky RX6R) to the same firmware revisions and communicating. I am not there yet and have mostly been on a forum hosted by Aloft Hobbies for advice. I am starting to look around here to see if I can find additional hints. I am currently stalled at the register/bind stage and am attributing the block to the firmware on the receiver which ships with D16 protocol and not ACCESS.

Lots of moving parts and I am new to OpenTX and FrSky hardware.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”