Saving Trim Settings in Companion

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
rustysocket

Saving Trim Settings in Companion

Post by rustysocket »

Transmitter is FrSky X9D+ running OpenTX 2.2.4
Companion is Ver. 2.2

I am playing around with some model profiles for a quad and setting up some flight modes. I started with a basic model setup and then made some copies of it to see how different things work.

When I pulled the basic profile off the radio into Companion 2.2 it brought some trim settings with it that I forgot to center. The trims then populated themselves as I made copies into each new profile and also into the flight modes. One of the specific things I am playing with is how trim settings are handled when changing Flight modes.

When I simulate the transmitter within Companion and center the trims. I can't get those new values to save. No matter what I try the next time I simulate the trims in FM0 always revert to what they were when I initially pulled the profile from the radio. Is there a way to save the trim changes I make within the simulation such that they are centered and then retained. This would be much easier at this point to do this within Companion rather than have to load each new Model profile back into the transmitter, center the trims and then pull them back into Companion for further work.

I am doing exactly what is described in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDnygW_Oc7w but rather than doing it on the transmitter itself, I am simulating the transmitter in companion. I simply cannot figure how to save the changes made while in simulation to the subtrims to the model.otx file so that I can then load it into the transmitter.

rdeanchurch

Re: Saving Trim Settings in Companion

Post by rdeanchurch »

Nothing that is done in the Simulator of Companion is saved.
Try just deleting a a mix in the simulator then closing the Simulator and restarting it.
The mix will still be there.
Nothing done to the model definition gets changed after the compaion simulator section is closed.

There is another Simulator. It is is the same folder as the companion.exe, and is named simulator.exe.
If you start it instead of Companion, changes made in it are saved when it has been terminated, you could try that.
Assuming you are on Windows, I do not know about the other platforms.

BUT, why bother with the simulator to make changes that are on the transmitter?
Just start Companion then connect the transmitter to PC and read in the values that are in the transmitter. and save that to your PC.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
rustysocket

Post by rustysocket »

Respectfully, you most certainly can create, delete and alter mixes within companion. And those models can be copied, altered and loaded onto the transmitter, as I do that quite often and just verified that I can still do it. When you delete the mix and go to exit companion, even prompts you that the model has changed and asks you if your sure you want to exit without saving it. In fact that is what I expected to happen when I altered the trims into subtrims just like it does on the transmitter. Either that or I am misunderstanding what you intended to say.

EDIT: I think I understand what you meant now with respect to the simulation side and making changes to the mixes from within the simulated environment not making changes. Not to be confused with the edit model environment screen which can make changes and where the simulation is launched from. Interesting enough I think that I can simulate the subtrim change, take note of the offset value and plug those numbers into the subtrim offset value on the output tab. My guess is that will work. And I may have just solved my issue.

As to why, I just find it more comfortable to do the majority of my setup on the computer.

I will take a look at the other simulator program and see if I can do what I am trying within that environment. I've never used that portion of the software and had forgotten it was there.

EDIT 2: It appears that simulator.exe is only for simulating a firmware changes.

Thanks for your post,
RS
Last edited by rustysocket on Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What you do in the companion editor windows is saved obviously, but the built-in simulator is read only. When you start it a copy of the data is created, which is discarded when you close it. Nothing's carried back into the editor.
rustysocket

Post by rustysocket »

Kilrah wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:56 am What you do in the companion editor windows is saved obviously, but the built-in simulator is read only. When you start it a copy of the data is created, which is discarded when you close it. Nothing's carried back into the editor.
Yes, I see that and have edited my reply. Very powerful program with lots of different ways to look at similar things. I think that simulating the trim to subtrim change will allow be to view the subtrim offset withing the simulation and then I can plug those values into the subtrim offset manually within the editor to do what I need.

Thanks for the clarification.

RS

rustysocket

Post by rustysocket »

I went back and tried to plug in the offset values and that didn't get the trims back to center on the simulator either and in fact loading it back into the model put the quad out of trim and doubled the offset required to trim it out.

Not sure why I got preoccupied with this as it really is trivial with respect to the actual setup of the model and is only a visual issue in the simulator itself. The fix to get the trims back to center on the transmitter is to simply reset the trims into subtrims on the transmitter itself.

It is situations like this however that help me understand how the software works, and how powerful it really is. I tend to get preoccupied with little things (that sometimes don't really matter) and end up chasing squirrels all over the place... lol

Thanks to both for trying to help. I did learn about the subtrims and how that works so it was not all for naught.

RS

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”