Internal XJT module DoA

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
propnut

Internal XJT module DoA

Post by propnut »

I have always placed the Taranis in high esteem but this has been somewhat tarnished via an unfortunate discovery. Back in 2014 I bought two brand new X9D (the original not the Plus). One of them I have only ever used as a buddy unit for my son(s) and so never had need to use or test the internal XJT module. As they were both running 2.1.X code I decided to upgrade to 2.3.X so as to make use of the multi-protocol module. This process in itself was a pain in the backside due to various bootloader issues but none the less I persevered and upon having them both at the right version of code decided to test some old D8 series receivers I had on my desk.

The original master unit worked fine with the int XJT so then I moved on to the Trainer unit and no bind, tried various things and then inadvertently placed the TX right next to the RX and hey presto bind. Moved it away and tried again no bind. There is no output power coming from the module. In the old days this would have been down to the output transistor, resistor or diode having blown due to operating without an antenna, but on the original X9D the antenna is soldered on so this cannot have been the reason coupled with the fact that I have NEVER used it. Opened it up to find evidence of resoldering around various points of the XJT. So clearly there was an issue at the factory OR it had been a returned unit to the seller (GiantShark) that I bought it from and resold as new. Either way I got a duffer. Now not an issue because the multi-protocol module really makes all the legacy modules redundant but just plain annoying.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”