Once more : X9D+ flashing problem

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Billy60

Once more : X9D+ flashing problem

Post by Billy60 »

Good day to all.
I have a X7 which I could update to 2.2 without any trouble and know a tiny bit of the OpenTX system.

Now I just received a brand new X9DPlus which was in english. I wanted to change its FW to french language.
With a Linux Mint 17.3, I used a Companion 2.2 (the maximum it accepts) to inject a FW 2.3RC4. Companion 2.2 went a found the best it could, which was OpenTX 2.2.4 and tried to inject it to the W9D+
Since then I got access to the Booloader mode but not to the booting after exit. FW was written to be 2.2.4 ok.

Then from a Windows 7 PC I tried a newer version of Companion (latest one 2.3) and tried to upload OPENTX 2.3RC4 again.
This did not work.

So I tried to upload another time OpenTX 2.2.4 using the power off method after Zadiging the driver.
The injection went well ("upload successful") but the X9D+ would neither start nor enter the Bootloader mode.

My TX seems dead !

What could I do from now on ?

I hope my explanations were clear enough ...

Thanks again, I am lost and blind !

rdeanchurch

Re: Once more : X9D+ flashing problem

Post by rdeanchurch »

A common problem is the downloading of firmware for the X9D instead of that for the X9D+. This will cause symptoms that sound like yours.
Your post is a lttle confusing in that you talk about 2.3.RC4 and a successful flashing of 2.2.4. They are not the same.

Recheck that your profile in Companion is for the X9D+, download the firmware again, then flash the tx again.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Billy60

Post by Billy60 »

Good morning
My problem is now solved.
It was due to the fact that I did not follow all of the rules which are listed here under, I learned the hard way !
* Each version of OpenTX has ITS version of Companion
OpenTX should be installed only with its own Companion
* My TX is a X9D+2019 which has a different FW from other XD9's. I tried installing the X9D+ version: no success ! The only Companion version which has this radio type is indeed the latest one 2.3
* My Linux Mint 17.3 cannot support later than Companion 2.2 so it is impossible to install a X9D+2019 firmware with it. I managed with a Windows 7 laptop and Comp 2.3
* X9D+2019 can only work with OpenTX2.3 and no earlier older versions.
* The Zadig change of driver is easy and works fine, it allows some direct access to the TX storage. I used it with success.

I hope this will help solve all the trouble I can read about with these flashing issues !
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Yep, X9D vs X9D+ has been a problem for quite a few users.
Now the X9D+2019 will make it even more confusing.
X9D+2019 is indeed very new and only supported by RC3 Companion as it cannot be put in a profile by earlier Companion versions.

Although I always make Companion and tx firmware the same version as a precaution. It is not strictly necessary. My QX7 has gone back and forth from 2.2.4 to 2.3.RC several times.

In most cases I flash by downloading the firmware to the SD and flash using the transmitter. This makes going back and forth easier, but in your case you must use 2.3.x Companion to to even get the correct firmware to put on your tx by any method.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Companion 2.2 can be used to flash 2.3 firmware, but you need companion 2.3 to download the file initially.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”