X9-Lite not powering on

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Xevion

X9-Lite not powering on

Post by Xevion »

Hi, I'm a newb and am very new the scene as a whole, so some parts may not be apparent.
I recently purchased an X9 Lite Transmitter and despite me trying everything, I have yet to acquire a power on screen, light, or anything of that nature from my transmitter confirming that it works.
Below are the details of what my current setup is. I don't have a quad yet, as I intended to use the transmitter and practice in a simulator as others have recommended before buying a full quad.

The batteries seem to be facing correctly inside the transmitter. The indented side is always facing right on both batteries, and the smooth side (negative) is facing left on both batteries. This is consistent with the symbols marked inside the casing of the transmitter.

After asking for help online in a discord, a community member recommended me to place a piece of aluminum foil to ensure contact occurred. I placed it between the two batteries to no known effect.

The only thing that can certify the transmitter may be in some working order is when I plugged it into my computer through the Micro USB port on the bottom, a device connected sound was heard shortly after.

In addition to refusing to work with my batteries, the transmitter is almost impossible to rescue the batteries from. It requires prying them out using a screwdriver, which can only be described as "physically painful to watch" as the outer skin of the batteries is chipped in the process (dear god). Least to say, my current experience with my transmitter as of now can only be described as "what the actual ****".

If anyone can provide details of what I'm doing wrong, or if I have the wrong batteries, wrong power-up procedure, I need to hit it with a hammer maybe, or if I should give up and attempt to refund to RDQ somehow, please do reply.

Transmitter
FrSky Taranis X9 Lite RC Transmitter

Batteries
Samsung 30Q 18650 3000mAh 15A Battery

Charger
QSO S2 2A Fast Charger for 18500, 18650, 26650, 20700, 21700 Batteries

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: X9-Lite not powering on

Post by MikeB »

Those batteries don't have the "pip" on the positive connection that makes sure they make contact when placed end to end.
To ensure contact you need something a couple of mm thick between the batteries, I've used a nut (from a nut and bolt) that is 3mm thick and 8mm across the flats. It is also "plated" so looks bright silver.

To make the batteries easy to remove try placing a strip of ribbon in the battery holder (across it), then when you have the batteries in place the ribbon is round one of them with the two ends easily available. To remove the batteries simply pull on both ends at the same time.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The plastic battery holders have sharp edges and tend to tear the plastic covering on the batteries during insertion or removal. I used very fine sandpaper to take the edges off mine.
Xevion

Post by Xevion »

OpenRCForums,
I apologize. Thread approval took a while longer than I expected so I wasn't able to remove it as soon as I solved it.
Yes, the indentation on the positive ends was the problem, it is more sunken into the battery than usual and was not contacting, even with a modest slip of Aluminum between them, they didn't make contact. So after I tested with a different battery that wasn't sunken in, I put a much thicker piece and it started working immediately. I intended to remove the thread immediately, but I couldn't find it since thread approval is required before posting.

MikeB,
A friend in the community suggested using solder and putting a bit on the positive ends to ensure contact occurs even when it's sunken in.
Good idea with the ribbon, I'll look into how that can be accomplished, but I did get a kit of screwdrivers and bits, and it has a flat piece of plastic which shouldn't damage the batteries but could make prying them out easier, but the batteries last long enough it seems that prying them out will be a rare occurrence.

Daedalus66,
I'll consider that, thanks for the tip with the sandpaper, maybe that was why some had damage in places I did not remember touching.

Thanks for the help you two, I appreciate the tips greatly.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

I put a blob of solder on the positive end of one battery. But you need a good hot iron of adequate size to make sure you can do it quickly without overheating the battery.

There are two slightly different types of battery: flat top and button top. The X9-Lite requires button top if you are to avoid DIY “hack” solutions such as I was forced to use.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”